close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

High-calibre dining: Open-carry devotees taking a shot at a public gatherin

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    At least according to the tattoo parlor guy he and his ilk use the opportunity educate some people.

2. Rick68FL

Rick68FL Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Sunshine State
    People like that make me glad that OC is illegal in Florida.

"Look at me! I have a gun!!"

:upeyes:

3. macville

macville

Jul 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    Best part is the COP saying that people aren't used to seeing people walk around with a gun on their hip? So does said cop not open carry when on duty?? Not trying to bash cops, but they need to just be quiet and enforce the law-not give their opinion about people exercising their rights.

4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    The organizer of the event is none other than GT member ViperGTS19801.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    First problem I see with this is that the police really don't get that many "man with a gun" calls about uniformed officers, so the police may not see an issue with the police "open carrying."

The second problem with this that I see is the police sometimes, sometimes even often, have to respond to "man with a gun" calls regarding open carriers. I realize this has been previously discussed here perhaps ad nauseum. As said, open carryng is best when done when appropriate and with responsibility.

6. Did you guys read some of the comments from people?
    Wow some of them are really sad.

7. 1A for some but not others?

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I do believe you've misinterpreted what the officer stated.
    Is that his opinion, or is it a factual statement of conditions in Ridley Township?
    Ridley Township Sgt. Charles Palo said
    • Openly carrying is within a citizen's rights,

• It can be alarming

• This isn't Wyoming, this isn't Oklahoma

• People aren't used to seeing people walking around with guns exposed.
    What made you believe he was voicing his personal opinion?

9. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Of course it's not Oklahoma, open carry is illegal there.

That is not what open carry is about. You're making an assumption based on something you clearly do not know. It's like liberals saying you carry a gun because it makes you feel like a bad@$$. Does carrying your concealed gun making you feel like one? I know when I open carry I don't do it for the "Look at me! I have a gun!!".

I really don't see the big deal. In Michigan we have open carry dinners/lunches all the time. It's fun to get together with people that have a common interest. And the ones I've been to we don't just talk about open carry. Many other topics get discussed some firearm related some not. Also many man with a gun (MWAG) can be avoided by educating the public about open carry and it's legality. In Michigan we have made many strides educating the public about OC which has reduced the MWAG calls dramatically. Training dispatches who take MWAG calls also help. For example this is who a MWAG call could go:
    Dispatch: 911 emergency what is your emergency?
    Citizen: There's a man with a gun here at Walmart off Main St.
    Dispatch: Is this man threatening anyone with the gun? What exactly is he doing?
    Citizen: No it's in a holster on his hip. Right now he's getting Mac n' Cheese off the shelf and putting it in his cart.
    Dispatch: The open carry of a handgun is legal in Michigan by any lawful person 18 years old or older. Unless the person is waving it around in a threatening manner or is acting irrationally there is nothing we can legally do. Now if the person should threaten someone or become agitated let us know and we’ll send a car.

10. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Good, we can even name the Dispatch Training Program the "xmanhockey7 Dispatch Training Program." Along with the name, we'll assign the criminal and civil liabilities should they arise because your dispatch training program caused a dispatcher to not send a car to a MWAG call, which resulted in a person's injury or death. :thumbsup:

11. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh I can't take all the credit. Stole the idea from Michigan Open Carry and believe it or not (you probably won't because it's just that crazy) we have yet to have an open carrier injury or kill an innocent person.

http://miopencarry.org/?q=node/4

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  13. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't know whether this guy killed them for no reason or it was in SD but it seems to me this could happen to anyone who carries a gun.

14. macville

macville

Jul 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    But what he said isn't true. Unless the cops of Ridley Township conceal carry, people ARE used to people open carrying. The issue of you having a badge or not does not matter as people are people. And just because MI isn't the "open west" doesn't mean that more people in Wyoming OC.

LEO's have helped along the idea that only they can be trusted with firearms. But those of us who actually read the stats know that a non-leo walking down the street with a OC'ed, holstered handgun is statically less likely to commit a crime against someone than a LEO (this is just based of stats mind you.)

I just feel that a LEO who is speaking out to the public (news conference, talking to a reporter, etc) should really only be saying that it's perfectly legal, and the only concern is when a firearm comes out of the holster or the carrier is doing something obviously illegal. The job is law enforcement, not law opinion.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

Except that the presence of uniformed police officers with holstered guns out and about in public do not generate all that many "man with a gun calls" but sometimes people not in uniform with a visible gun do generate 911 calls.

16. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    The more people learn that OC is legal the less 911 calls you will get. I've found many people who think it's illegal don't call the police because they realize they aren't in any danger.

17. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    That's the whole idea - "Look at me!" The only result will be exactly what has already occured in some areas.....more laws against OC passed.

It's kinda amusing that more anti-gun laws is what OC'ers don't want.