close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High blood pressure when you're enlisting?

Discussion in 'US Military Services' started by SIGSAREBETTER, Oct 27, 2007.

1. SIGSAREBETTER

SIGSAREBETTER Teh Pieman

When I went to MEPS on the 17th/18th they said my bp was elevated and put me on the hypertension protocol, that is getting 3 consecutive days of readings from my doc and a letter saying I don't have high blood pressure and I've never been on a special diet or pills. I got that done today, and my readings were ok and mostly all below the 140/90 cutoff. The highest was 139/92, and the average of the three was 132/88. I also included readings from routine doc appts that show more toward 130/76, hopefully all goes well. I never thought the bp would be an issue, but now I'm all jacked up with stress taking them so that is not helping, and I'm freakin' out as I wait to hear back next week.

Any similar stories or advice? The branch I'm working with is Army Reserve.

2. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

So, I take it things went OK? Did you have to go on meds or anything?

3. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

I've had high blood pressure for awhile now. Finally got it checked out. I don't think it's a big deal. They just do some tests to make sure your heart and organs are good. They put me on a bp pill changed my diet a little and I'm fine.

You shouldn't have to worry any.

edit I'm active duty Marine Corps.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I had to have medical waivers for the Army reserve on my over-40 blood tests. Not a problem, especially these days.

5. SIGSAREBETTER

SIGSAREBETTER Teh Pieman

No, no meds or anything. For the first time in my life it seems I've developed white coat syndrome. Once I calmed down my civvie doctors recorded my normal bp readings I'd always gotten, and wrote a letter to that effect. Then it was as agonizing wait, but I'm all good now. I ship for Fort Sill on Jan 9 followed by AIT at Fort Bliss, for 88m.

6. ks farmboy

ks farmboy

every time i go to the dr, my blood pressure is high. they shrug and say dont worry about it. i made a special appt one time for just that, and they said that i was high but nothing serious. i was then 23 yoa, and high blood pressure is nothing to worry about? i left it at that and am waiting to get out to see what they are going to do for me.