close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

hiding the serial numbers........

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hogship, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

I've been active on gun forums for close to 20 years, and not once have I ever heard of anyone having any problems whatsoever with showing the serial number in an online photograph.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem with this that can be confirmed? I'm sure there are plenty of rumors......but, there are rumors, and then there is fact!

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing but false hype, with no basis in reality. I just don't pay any attention to serial numbers anymore.......

ooc

Here is a photo I took sometime in the 1990's:
    [​IMG]
    These are more recent......steal one of these:
    (Even if you can't read the numbers here, if you're good with photo enhancements, you can get the numbers.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ooc

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I never once hid serial numbers in thousands of pics.

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I am not a "hider" either.

4. maniDAR

maniDAR

Oct 7, 2009
    nj
    I was told once by someone that people could copy the number and use the number and one could get stuck proving that he/she did not commit the crime.

Laughed at the statement back than and still do not believe in it.

5. I worry about it almost as much as I do little green men from Mars or the Mayan calendar. I'll usually "X" out the last couple digits when I write the S/N but that's just to keep someone from coming along and lecturing me about how I shouldn't post serial numbers online. :yawn: I've never made any effort to block them in pictures.

I just bought a Dan Wesson 22. The S/N is 13327.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Sigh. I wish I was young enough such that I could see well enough to still focus a lens good enough to get a serial number in focus.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Show your firearm serial numbers? :freak:

Brilliant idea! :thumbsup:

Now, varied and numerous police and military personnel are going to be able to more easily walk right up to your front door in order to continue that internet argument you previously participated in, and incorrectly imagined was of no further consequence.

If you wouldn't publish your: picture, phone number, or IP address on the Internet then don't publish any of your firearm serial numbers, either. This may come as a shock; but, the world isn't full of altruistic, genuinely decent people. It's full of clever, self-assuming, and devious ones, instead. The Internet - for however useful an information or communication resource it might be - is, also, an intellectual cesspool of degenerate human emotions and behaviors. Why expose yourself to any more of this societal offal than necessary? :dunno:

8. grumpy1

grumpy1

Jun 20, 2012
    Nope.

I never hide my serial mumbers. I don't put electrical tape over the VIN of my vehicles or take the license plates off of my vehicles when in my driveway either.

9. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    Herp-a-derp!

Yes, because we're participating in training right now, on how to confiscate your guns, and how to rape and pillage neighborhoods. :upeyes:

ETA: We're also training on how to most effectively shoot your dog as well. :yawn:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I shred any paper work before it hits the trash. I pull all shipping labels before throwing the box in the trash, I never give out my SS# unless I know exactly whom I am giving it to, and I do cover the SN on my guns. If someone wants information from me they will have to work for it, why make it easy?? That's just me how I do things.

However, I post my credit card on line all the time when I buy stuff:whistling:

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Sorry! Didn't mean to blow your cover. By the way you must have been one of those Homeland Security idiots who participated in policing operations during and after Hurricane Katrina - Huh!

(I particularly liked the way you morons disarmed that little old lady who was standing in the middle of her kitchen holding an antique revolver - Outstanding work, Kilroy! You must be very proud.) :freak:

12. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
  13. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS
    It's not about being charged with a crime because your firearm may of been used in a crime. There are nefarious people everywhere, yes even here on GlockTalk. If someone reported your S/N stolen, it would very difficult to prove it was yours and not stolen. I have most of the receipts for my Firearms, but not all of them. Yes, that person that falsely reported would get in a lot of trouble, and yes the likelihood of this happening is slim, but it would be a massive headache if it happened.

14. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    I just reported that to the police as stolen!

Could you post a pic of that to make my claim even stronger?

:rofl:

15. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    One of my gunwriter buddies, who has been wiping serial numbers off of every gun pic he's ever published, once told me he does it because someone may file a police report saying that serial number gun is theirs... and claiming you stole it. Yeah, whatever.

Having actually had guns stolen. It's not how it works. If there's a dispute, and neither of you can PROVE ownership. It's a wash.

16. Sure. No problem.

[​IMG]

17. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    All your serial numbers are belong to us :tongueout:

18. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    :rofl:

"All aboard the FEMA train cars"

I mean, heck, you guys aren't going to herd yourselves onto the boxcars destined for the FEMA camps. Someones gotta do it! :rofl:

Oh, and by the way-

[​IMG]

For the record, I'm active duty .MIL, (not Homeland Security like you assume) and its a violation of Article 91 of the UCMJ to confiscate guns. Neither myself, or my fellow Infantrymen care to take your guns, and are more entertained by screwing with the various wildlife in the areas we visit.

19. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    I'll go you one better...I don't ever publish pix of my weapons. I'll tell what it is and think most on here know what a lot of these firearms look like.:faint:

20. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Based on the fact that many, many people here won't even share what State/City they live in, it really isn't that surprising. Paranoia is simply the lay of the land here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.