Hidden in the car

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DEE50, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Anyone have ideas of accessible, but secure places to hide a handgun in a vehicle besides locking it in the glove compartment? I would like to make it more accessible without making it more steal able. Some of the advertisements I see for things such as latches below the steering wheel seem like a gimmick to me. :dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    WTS G34 4-Port Barrel Lone Wolf w/ Hidden Logo $150 Bargain Shopper Jun 29, 2015
    WTS: Carbon fiber scale folder knife and Hidden release auto knife. Edged Weapons & Related Items Jun 27, 2015
    Hidden Cameras Capture Armed Invasion of Weed Shop Political Issues Jun 13, 2015
    Glock 42 Holsters: PJ Holster & Hidden Hybrid Holster Holsters & Related Items Apr 26, 2015
    HIDDEN CAM: #GayWeddingCakes at Muslim Bakeries? Political Issues Apr 3, 2015

3. I use a Gunvault under the seat, secured with the steel cable it ships with. It'll deter a smash and grab attack for someone who doesn't carry any tools. However, if someone really wanted to take it, they probably will.

Those are only used for places when I can't carry (like the post office, or in hospitals around here, for example) and not as a permanent storage place for a "truck gun" or a "vehicle gun."

I like this one a lot, because I don't have to see anything to open it up:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-MV500-STD-Microvault-Pistol-Safe/dp/B000TG9RCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384273237&sr=8-1&keywords=gunvault"]Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bhl9smW6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41bhl9smW6L[/ame]

4. Ft.Knox is making some, even some rifle cases, although they are pricey. There are some that fit center consoles at about $250.

5. I have a Sentra, which has a neat little trick - almost like it knew I carried a gun. Both the rear seats fold foward and have plenty of space for both my gun and my wifes gun when we can't carry them somewhere.

6. Get customized brother. While I can't provide pics at the moment my father who goes nowhere without a handgun or two much like all of us here, he took a saddle type leather holster and secured it under the driver's side dash to the right of the steering wheel down in there where it's very hard to spot. His saddle holster had belt cutouts and instead of destroying the dash by using bolts or glue or whatever, he used large zipties and went through existing openings down under the dash and was able to secure it well. It's also angled enough up so it can never fly out of the holster if he accelerates hard, and one could just buy a holster that locks gun in place. He did this in his 07 vette and 05 suburban his old 99 vette and a 01 or so grand prix and in each auto he got it to work for him. I have seen all the ones he did in all four autos and even from the passenger seat or standing at the drivers side window looking I could not see any gun.
    Can't always buy what you need off the shelf.

I have seen those ones you are referring to that secure right under the steering column and they in no way conceal the gun. They also have one that secures to the drivers seat on the right side.
    In his 05 Burb he also has a hidden 870 12 gauge where the jack system would usually go.

On a The First 48 episode I once saw a low-level drug dealers POS car that had a powered push button system that raised a part of the dash where he could hide drugs if pulled over, if you can think it you can do it.

7. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

I have one of these bolted under the seat. It is a lot more substantial than the cheap ($30) underseat safes and it uses a Simplex mechanical lock that is a lot more rugged against temperature extremes than any electronic lock. I like it because it is not visible from outside the car and I can reach it from the drivers seat. I can also unlock it without looking at it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Keyless-Security-Release-Mounting/dp/B000T2C7Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384282767&sr=8-2&keywords=v+line+safe"]Amazon.com: V-Line Desk Mate Keyless Security Box with Quick Release Mounting Bracket (Black): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zfQ4rvd7L.@@AMEPARAM@@41zfQ4rvd7L[/ame]

There is a GT member who sells a gun safe with a Simplex lock that fits nicely between bucket seats.

[​IMG]

http://www.fas1safe.com/

Fort Knox makes a very sturdy safe with a Simplex lock. It is a lot bulkier than the V-Line, I doubt if it will fit under any seat.

[​IMG]

http://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box-2/

#6 Haldor, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Batteries are not reliable when exposed to extreme temperatures (like winter up north or summer in AZ). I only trust mechanical locks for these apps. I have had a Simplex locked safe in my car for 4 years now and it works perfectly. That is through three Ohio Winters and one Phoenix summer.

#7 Haldor, Nov 12, 2013
  9. Haldor,

I was checking out the v-line safe at the link you posted, and I'm thinking that I may switch over to one of those instead. It certainly gets rid of one of the things I have to worry about--batteries. I can also operate it without having to look at it, either.

Thank you for the info!

10. I also have this, and view it as a decent deterrent. Not a safe, but a deterrent.

I actually opted for a gun to help address this issue. As much as folks despise gun locks, for me for camping and for your exact scenario, I actually sought out a G17 with the internal lock (requires a key). I can disable the firearm and leave it (for example at schools, US Post Office, etc.), then quickly reactivate it and return it to a holster I keep attached inside the center console. Saves the hassle of a safe. I am not wanting to start a lock war. I have this on exactly ONE gun for this purpose (actually, it was initially driven by tent camping with children), all others guns in my safe are happy and free, and as an NRA member and gun advocate, I would scream and howl if anyone made them mandatory! Just heading off the potential fury...

I do both options, gun ILS lock and small under seat/in trunk safe. When traveling through anti-gun states that do not recognize my permit, the small GunVault safe is the way I stow things.

#9 boilergonzo, Nov 12, 2013
  11. A small safe is the best way to do things, however on some vehicles they have cubby holes under cup holders or other plastics that just pop out leaving an unnoticed hidden compartment.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. I would take a close look at one of the safes for car use.

13. There was a GT member who posted a pic of a Glock hanging from the rearview mirror in one of those MIC "holsters". Totally concealable :)

14. Glove box, console, floorboard under seat, etc. These are all reasonably secure when you lock your car, unless you have some extra legislated requirements to have a locked box within a locked car.