close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hickok45 Testing Ruger Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by AA#5, Mar 14, 2012.

1. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    Love those Ghost Ring sights & the big mag. Looks like the worlds only Bolt-Action Assault Rifle.

I've never seen a bolt action that throws the brass farther than an autoloader.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPoYwyxXo_U&feature=relmfu"]Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle ( Chapter 2 ) - YouTube[/ame]

2. IV Troop

IV Troop

Jun 19, 2004
    Hickok has made a name for himself doing these reviews. He is one of the extremely few I care to listen to.

3. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Western Colorado
    I've been looking at that rifle, with the light weight and short barrel it would be a good gun for hunting elk in heavy timber. I'd want to put some bright optics on it though.

4. RedsoxFan4Lyfe

RedsoxFan4Lyfe

Jul 16, 2007
    Florida USA
    It's nice to see a company implementing a concept that the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper has been lamenting for many years now.

I recall Styer or some other company doing something with a Scout rifle configuration many years ago, but I assume Ruger is the first to go "mainstream" and do it at an affordable price point as well.

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I love watching Hickock's videos. But you can tell he's a pistolero not a rifleman. Someone who knows how to make a bolt gun sing would never take it off their shoulder to cycle the action. And as far as how far a bolt gun throws brass--that's strictly a function of how hard the shooter retracts the bolt.

6. robtest

robtest

Jan 31, 2012
    "I like it... I like to shoot... Life is Good!"

words to live by... LOL

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Agreed. He hit his first shot, and then missed the next three.

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    I thought Savage had a Scout rifle?

Edited to add... Why would you want a muzzle brake on a Scout rifle? I thought the whole idea was a compact package. Am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong - I've got a 6mm Ruger 77 - old style with the tang safety and barrel band front sight. Been shooting it for a long time.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. clancy

clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    I wish Ruger would mill the receiver to take M-14 stripper clips. You can throw a lot of lead from a bolt action rifle in a relatively short period of time with them. The SMLE being perhaps the best example.

10. Yeah, he sucks with a rifle. :upeyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCiANMCixo&feature=g-u-u&context=G2875ec7FUAAAAAAADAA"]CZ 527 at 230 yards - YouTube[/ame]

12. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I'll say it once, I'll say it again... Hickok45 for President!

I've started listening to his radio shows. Call me crazy, I started watching his videos for the shooting. Now, I like listening to him and want less shooting.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :agree:

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    No doubt :cool:

15. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Dec 22, 2002
    Somewhere in Oregon
    He's pretty lonely as the one rational Glock fan on YouTube.:supergrin:

16. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I enjoy watching his videos, he is not narcissistic like some of the other guys.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  17. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Would be thrilled if Ruger would produce a left-handed bolt-action rifle as a option for all of the calibers they currently chamber. If available, I'd buy one in .308 Winchester, etc.

18. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I just have to say what everybody else does. I love that man.