Glock Talk banner

Hey, Tazz, how's the .223XR coming?

74K views 303 replies 76 participants last post by  VN350X10 
#1 ·
Just curious...

------------------
Tamara's House of Weapons: If we can't kill it, it's immortal.
10 Ring #2910, Wheelhouse #6254455, Club .40*&*, Top Guns *.357sig* club
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

#153 ·
I see two diametrically opposed goals here:

1. This was originally invisaged as a way to get the 224 BOZ for us without all the rigemarole of the CDS BS (LE-Only and Patented).

2. Taz wants to do it with a standard 10mm case (40-cal sabots to shoot 224" bullets in the standard 10mm case).

I think there are too many roadblocks to get both of these goals in one leap. There is a lot of expense and trouble with the 40-cal sabots, as Taz has already said.

If any of you are really serious about this, there is already an off-the-shelf answer for you. Just get a 30 ARMCO barrel, and load the already-available 224 to 30-cal sabots in it. The only quirk that needs to be overcome with this is that there may be OAL of the loaded rounds issues. This would be more easily overcome than getting 40-cal sabots made. (One can carefully select the 224" bullets to reduce the OAL, such as lightweight, non-spire-point bullets of the type commonly made for 218 Bee, or one can ream the sabot pocket for the 224" bullets a little deeper. Or, I suppose you can do both, such as loading the 63gr Win. SMP bullet, which is blunt-nosed, yet get heavier weight, by reaming the bullet pocket in the sabot deeper.)

#154 ·
OK, OK ... I have been away for awhile and this thread has nearly died!

I guess no new news??? Maybe if I "wake" the thread back up we can work on it some more?

Tazz, I KNOW that you haven't forgotten about this!!!!!

#155 ·
Originally posted by PurchGuru
OK, OK ... I have been away for awhile and this thread has nearly died!

I guess no new news??? Maybe if I "wake" the thread back up we can work on it some more?

Tazz, I KNOW that you haven't forgotten about this!!!!!
I forgot about this thread..... and that I was on the inform if someone posts lists....

With the FN 5.7 (if I recall the caliber) pistol available to the public now, is a custom round (or was it saboted idea, haven'ted followed that much which route was taken or recall ) expensive....

;e ;a

#156 ·
A couple interesting things I've noticed recently

The leitner-wise 7.82Sx24 is a 10mm necked down to .30 caliber like the Canadian 30 armco and loaded with a saboted .224" bullet. http://www.leitner-wise.com/products/82s.htm has more infomation.

Of greater interest since it seems to be nearing release is the .22 Reed Express, a 7.62x25 necked down to .224 , it can be found at http://www.reedsammo.com/Page.html

The preliminary load data is done, all the loads are from a 10" Contender barrel 10 shot strings average velocity. Those marked with a * are not running at full power yet. We have not finished any of the loads with all the suitable powders and bullets.

30g - 2782
33g - 2733
35g - 2721
40g - 2596
45g - 2510
50g - 2480
53g - *
55g - 1981*
60g - *

#158 ·
Originally posted by brass shower
A couple interesting things I've noticed recently

The leitner-wise 7.82Sx24 is a 10mm necked down to .30 caliber like the Canadian 30 armco and loaded with a saboted .224" bullet. http://www.leitner-wise.com/products/82s.htm has more infomation.

Of greater interest since it seems to be nearing release is the .22 Reed Express, a 7.62x25 necked down to .224 , it can be found at http://www.reedsammo.com/Page.html

The preliminary load data is done, all the loads are from a 10" Contender barrel 10 shot strings average velocity. Those marked with a * are not running at full power yet. We have not finished any of the loads with all the suitable powders and bullets.

30g - 2782
33g - 2733
35g - 2721
40g - 2596
45g - 2510
50g - 2480
53g - *
55g - 1981*
60g - *
Nice. I wonder what the overall length of the ammo is......

I know the 7.62x25 is too long to fit in a 1911 frame, but if this wildcat is shorter, it might fit. The head is similar to a 9mm.....

Wildcats are nice, but standardization is also cool. As I said, the 5.7x28 would be cool...as it's now "legal and available".

#159 ·
Reed mentioned a 1911 project in the works, which will be very cool. The 5.7x28 35 gr clocks 2100 fps out of my five-seven, and is a hoot to shoot, the lack of reload info or dies for the round disappoints me though. I sure wouldnt mind another couple hundred fps added onto the same bullet, or heavier bullets for that matter. Tracers sure are fun too and are readily available to load up in Reed's cartrige. Brass available by resizing 7.62x25... I cant think of anything I dislike about this round aside from it not being released yet.

#160 ·
OK,

Had to push this thing back to the top ... Tazz, is this a dead issue or are you still thinking about it?

Why don't you put the dungeon rat on it ... you know, ole sammi boy ... ;a

(intended to incite samurairabbi into action)

#161 ·
I wouldn't count on Sammi being too interested in anything having to do with a real caliber until he finally wakes up and buys a 10mm. Sammi is just a well taken care of 10 Ring dungeon slave boy. We just like to make him feel special because that way we get more work out of him. Sammi is also into S&M so he actually loves the abuse anyway.

As for the 223XR, i think it's more than likely going to boil down to me finally getting around to hand making some sabots which MCNETT can then load up, and we can then dial them in to proper specs. After that it boils down to who and how they can be mass produced for as little money as possible. This last part is the tricky part as it will not be "cheap". Since "a profit making" was/has not been in the planning so far, it will be really interesting to see what kind of "donations" (money, time, resources, etc.,) will come the way of the 223XR.

#163 ·
The .223XR is alive well and progressing nicely. Preliminary drawings, designed, engineered, and drawn by yours truly, are now in the hands of the machinist, a 10 Ring member, no less. The persons, except for yours truly, doing this will remain secret until the project is complete and it's time to take a bow. The first of the prototype .223XR rounds are in progress being milled to perfection. They will then loaded into nice fresh 10mm brass... soon to be test fired by yours truly. Design will then be refined and adjustments made until properly dialed in. We will load no 10 until it's time. We are pushing for a 55 grainer kicking out to 2305 fps with a standard G20 barrel, and 2435 fps with a 6". Of course, these velocities are still just theoretical until we actually do it. We think we can do it and maybe can even better those velocities. Heavy emphasis is being placed on proper spin rate and petal separation aerodynamics in order to maximize accuracy. The .223XR is also designed in such a way that will idealize chamber pressure and reduce or eliminate any problems with barrel fouling. We are off to a very good start. We have the technology. The 10 Ringer doing the machining is also an expert in making plastic injection molds and will make them as soon as the design is finalized. This will take a little time and patience, but will be worth it. This project has also led to other fun little projectile projects to be announced... but first comes the .223XR.

We are on it! ;f

#164 ·
Tazz,

thanks for all your efforts on this cartridge. Like many others I have been considering purchasing a FN 5.7, not due to need but just because it's so cool. $800+ for the gun and $40/box for ammo is just too much for something like that. I will gladly pony up for a .223 XR conversion barrel and some Doubletap ammo, however. I think there are many other G20 owners who will as well.

Keep us updated!

#165 ·
Conversion barrel??? We don't need no stinking conversion barrels! The .223XR is designed to be fired out of standard "10mm Auto" barrels! That means it will work out of any 10mm firearm in good shape... G29, G20, Delta Elites, MecTec CCU's, MP5/10mm's....... ;f It's also looking like it may even be possible to use these same sabots in 40 S&W brass and barrels, but we are not holding our breath on that one. It may be necessary to use shorter bullets than 55 grainers if .40 S&W is the aim. Also, if going the 40 route, the velocities will be no where near as fast as the 10.

Did i mention that the sabots will be made available alone for reloaders to roll their own? Oh yeah, baby! Not just preloaded complete cartridges.

Being a 10 Ring member DOES have its advantages! ;f

#167 ·
Holy cow I had no idea the .223 XR could be fired out of a standard 10mm barrel! I thought it would need a conversion barrel like 9x25mm.

This caliber will be a success.

#169 ·
The only thing that i can think of that the .224 Boz might have over the .223XR is accuracy. It can be pretty difficult to make a bullet carried by a sabot super accurate. But then, when it all gets down to the nitty-gritty and it's intended purpose the .223XR really doesn't need to be 1 MOA accurate. If we can get 2 inch groups at 100 yds, i'll dance a little jig! If we can get 1 inch groups at 100 yrds, i'll have a screaming orgasm and pass out! ;f

#174 ·
Just an idea here and not to throw you guys off...

Why place the sabot behind the round? While I carried in South Africa I had .45 ACP rounds that had a blue plastic cap over a steel, pointed core. It looked something like this:

I can't remember the quoted velocities, but I know it was more than 1400fps - they were also deadly accurate. I can remember knocking soda cans off a fence at around 25 yds off hand. Sounds a little better than the accuracy of other sobated rounds. Imagine what a high powered 10mm sabot like this can do?

#175 ·
When a sabot is behind the bullet it effectively acts as an oversized gasket that ties the pressure of the expanding gasses to the projectile. If the sabot were in front, wouldn't it just shoot out of the barrel by itself, leaving the projectile behind to tumble out of control in the gasses?

#176 ·
Originally posted by Sturmcrow
When a sabot is behind the bullet it effectively acts as an oversized gasket that ties the pressure of the expanding gasses to the projectile. If the sabot were in front, wouldn't it just shoot out of the barrel by itself, leaving the projectile behind to tumble out of control in the gasses?
Basically, yes.

The sabot also has to do a bit of stabilizing of the bullet and then let the bullet go on its own without upsetting it or slowing it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.