Glock Talk banner

Hey, Tazz, how's the .223XR coming?

74K views 303 replies 76 participants last post by  VN350X10 
#1 ·
Just curious...

------------------
Tamara's House of Weapons: If we can't kill it, it's immortal.
10 Ring #2910, Wheelhouse #6254455, Club .40*&*, Top Guns *.357sig* club
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

#127 ·
Hey Tazz, just a thought here
oes anyone remember the .357/.44 Bain & Davis "BOBCAT" from the early '70s ?
It worked very well, sabot,cyl. gap & all.
But in this case, the sabot was really a sleve to support the case, & it acted like a chamber insert; the bbl. was bore size for the bullet.

#130 ·
Quite possibly the easiest thing to do would be to get a .400 OD rod of teflon and then cut down little pellets to length, then drill them in a jig with a drill press to .22, then cut a X dead center from the top. It would be best to first put the teflon rod in a lathe and shape each sabot first so that there is a relief area so that the petals can peal back easy and lathe away some of the base so more powder will fit and bevel the OD of the mouth so it will feed best then cut each one out, drill, and countersink the mouth so the wind catches the petals and slows the sabot and peals the petals back. It could be done pretty easy but it would take some time to get the jigs made and dialed in with a little precision. I'll try to remember to pick up some teflon rod next time i am out and about.

------------------
Your first and best weapon or tool is always your mind.

Reality always takes precedence.

The only thing that should come between you, and any gun... is comfort. Get Agrip!

#132 ·
I said it before and Ill say it again

Originally posted by Rusty Phillips
i tried wrapping a 50 grain tnt in pipe tape,

- man - those 224's are LOONG...... I am now of the opinion that instead of trying to get sabots for the 9mm 10mm or 45acp or whatever.... we would be better served finding a source of ultra liteweight (RCBD style) full caliber (short) bullets..... I think we would have much better success pushing a short full caliber 55-75 grain fmj to super high velocities than to get anything close to the same results with a 55 grina 224 bullet in a sabot....

due to the projectile length, and the length requirement to fit in the magazine, IMO you end up with too little powder space left over
IF YOU WANT SUPER HIGH VELOCITY,

and it has to fit in a G20 magazine,

follow the RCBD example

#133 ·
Interesting. I glanced at the posts, but 6 pages of stuff, one can miss a lot.

Any how, the length is no problem for Kaliburz since I'm planning to use it in a 6" 610.

#135 ·
I did a lot of looking around, but i never found any .40 cal sabots. Did i miss some???

Got a link?

Update: MarkCO is on the project...

Stay tuned...

#140 ·
Yippe I' making the first post of the year 2002(on this thread);)

Any luck on the sabots?
I wonder if a .50BMG sabot could be turned down to .45ACP diameter without falling apart?That would allow the use of a .30cal varmint bullet in a Glock 21.

Hmmmmm?

BTW:I saw a post on wilcats cartridges being renamed to avoid copyright infringement for those who merely copyrighted rather than pantented their ideas.There is a version of the .300 Whisper called the .300 Fireball.It's a subsonic round for use in suppressed M16s and it has actually been used by SpecOps teams on more then one occasion.I wonder if there is a similar alternative to the ".2** B*z"?Anyway if you can buy a .300 fireball barrel,dies,reamers when it is an exact copy of a JDJ caliber why not the other?

#142 ·
Haven't forgotten at all. The on going big hold-up is getting the sabots made. I talked at length with the owner of a good sized company that specializes in making sabots at the shot show and the costs involved are enormous and basically prohibitive without a much larger market for the sabots. Many thousands of dollars.

Anyone feeling philanthropic?

#143 ·
tazz - i know you guys are hung up on sabots.....

but how difficult would it be to get some jacketed 77 grain 10mm bullets

or even 55 grain?

wouldnt this be a good place to start? at least you can be loading and shooting something instead of wasting time trying to convince someone to make sabots

from the rbcd website
10mm 77 gr. TFSP 2420 fps / 1015 flbs

#144 ·
I don't think anyone would mind having 77 or 55 grain 10mm bullets to shoot, but the reasons we wanted to go with the .223 bullet was the variety of .22 bullets available out there for reloading and the fact that British company making the .224 Boz are playing the stuuuuuuuuupid "LEO Only" game. We 10-Ringers just wanted to have a round we could call our own that was not compromised by political or commercial issues.

A 77 grainer kick'n 2420 fps??? ;f How stable is the flight? What kind of accuracy are people getting at 25, 50, and 100yds?

#146 ·
http://www.rbcd.net/Personal Defense Ammo.htm

or call 210-223-4009 or
Toll Free: 1-877-688-5985

as far as accuracy - i dunno - why dont you buy some and let us know

the reason i keep bringing this up is that if you ultimately do want to load 10 mm / 223 sabots, you are gonna have to go with some pretty fast powders - as the bullets are gonna offer very little resistance and the expansion ratio is pretty big (volume behind the bullet as it travels down the bore)

the other problem is providing enough momentum to cycle the slide all the way back

didnt cds have to lighten their slide?

you can sort thru these issues with either a 60 grain 10mm bullet, or with a 10/223 sabot and 55 grain 223 bullet.....

besides - i honestly think that you stand a lot better chance of getting a 60 grain 10mm bullet before the end of 2002 than you do getting a 10/223 sabot before the end of 2007

and finally - lets talk about projectile length

a 60 grain 10mm bullet would be pretty damn short... you might even make it as a hollow based style just to give enough bearing surface

compared to this - a 55 grain 223 bullet is very long.... you might not have much room left for powder after cramming in that rifle bullet in to a oal that will fit a g20 mag

#149 ·
I don't know about updates but I have an idea.

How about using the .224 BOZ dimensions and a 10mm Mag case trimmed to 26mm and change the shoulder angle 1°? It is not the same cartrige and therefore not subject to the patent.

Sure, you'd still have to buy a barrel but you'd have what you wanted to begin with, a .224 BOZ that is not restricted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.