close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hey guys, cheesy holster questions here...

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by skier92857, Apr 25, 2013.

1. skier92857

skier92857

Jun 2, 2012
    Hey all, I'm coming to you for some help seeing as how we're all brothers (and sisters) based on the 10mm bond (I told you it would be cheesy!). Seems like I would get less snark and more help in the somewhat slower paced club-specific forum as opposed to general glocking.

I need a kydex holster for my stock gen 3 g20sf. Specifically light compatable for the tlr-1 hl I have on the way. I know this is a worn out topic but honestly, I'm an 18 credit semester hour college student/full time night employee/husband to one who genuinely does not have the time (or skill it seems) to google for every last answer. I am planning for a nice little camping trip with the wifey as soon as finals are done here in a few weeks...hence my questions.

Primarily OWB although I like the modularity of the Ravens. Does cant matter? Is Raven really on a 4.5 month backorder? Is there a cheaper faster forum-sponsored alternative? Beware of imitators right? Can I automatically assume proper fit and finish if the holsters are described for g21sf and tlr-1? I'll post more as I think of them, but I humbly appreciate the answers in advance. And I'm sorry for posting on such a well worn topic. In other news, I have only shot a couple of times since the semester started and....dammm...when did Underwood sell out of everything!!!! I need some 200gr XTPs man!

2. VA Swamphunter

VA Swamphunter Old Mud Diver

Jun 7, 2011
    Suffolk VA
    Blackhawk CQC Serpa. This is strictly a OWB holster. Midway USA has them for $31.99.
    I have one for my Gen 3 G20. It must be ordered model specific. Lots of folks don't care for the finger release; however it doesn't bother me. Hope this helps.

3. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I second that for the money. I have 2 (G-22, 1911) I am going to pick one up for my 20sf shortly.

4. skier92857

skier92857

Jun 2, 2012
    That blade tech looks good! Nice gen 4 g20 too.

5. skier92857

skier92857

Jun 2, 2012
    I know this is one of the least sexy and most tired subjects on here, but I thought I would post an update. I ended up having to do a shartload of research anyways to find a holster that looked good to me, which meant I had to wait till finals were done. I just ordered a X-concealment M series MOD II compact light compatible kydex holster. For those that are interested I can always post up a couple of pics and a little review perhaps. Thanks everyone again for the help (I got a couple of PMs as well).

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. skier92857

skier92857

Jun 2, 2012
    Update - Holster quality looks excellent, its really sharp looking and finish is great, very thick kydex that feels sturdy and durable. It was in hand exactly 7 days from when I ordered it (well within their guaranteed turnaround time) and they still honor the GT discount - 69.XX shipped.

It sits really comfortably high and tight OWB on a 1.5in regular leather belt. It came from X-concealment wayyyy too tight, although now over the last couple of days it has not worried me as much as it did originally. The light specifically on my gun was rubbing and was found to be the "retention point culprit." I actually just let it sit in the holster for a couple of days as I was too busy to mess with it and this helped enough to loosen the holster a tiny bit. I will be taking a hair dryer to it later today and will update again, but I thought that everything so far would be worth mentioning.

Also worth mentioning is my satisfaction with the customer service at x-concealment. I did send a note to them through the website asking for explicit confirmation that the gun/light combo would be doable, but ended up ordering anyway without any response. Other than that snafu, they responded in a couple hours after my first round of emailing regarding the holsters tightness, (they suggested gun oil, which did not help although they offered from the beginning a replacement if I needed it, so I've been worry free) which has made me much more at ease.

Once the fit gets dialed in, I think this holster will be exactly what I am looking for. I am happy with it otherwise. Once I get the fit just right I will come back and give my official recommendation.

7. skier92857

skier92857

Jun 2, 2012
    4 layers of painters tape and 1 minute with a hair dryer, 5 minutes in the fridge and a few presentations the holster is sweeeettttt.

The holster is awesome now after a little tweaking.

8. Alcoy

Alcoy

Jul 13, 2006
    Virginia
  9. s0nspark

s0nspark Talk is cheap!

Jul 3, 2009
    The Old North State

Ok, I am with you... I can't stand the quick and easy solutions though. They just do not do it for me...

I would suggest something like JM Custom Kydex if you cannot wait for Raven Concealment...

10. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
  11. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Brevard, FL
    Finding that 'right' holster for your need is a challenge if you don't have anyone to craft one for you specifically so I'm glad to see yours work out so well. I'd love to see some pics...
    Some places I shoot, including my home range, do not allow serpa holsters d/t AD risk, appearantly. The following should be a link to youtube show an example of this from a humble...and possibly high...shooter. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/ame]

That index finger should remain straight...neither the holster nor any other factor should even come into the mix.

Cheers and happy shooting!

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  12. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    I don't believe that Serpa holsters present any greater risk of NEGLIGENT discharge than other holsters. The problem, as you alluded to, is the fact that some people just can't seem to keep their booger hooker off the bullet lever. The claim that the Serpa is somehow responsible is difficult to believe because the activation button is placed over the area on the pistol that your finger SHOULD be indexed. The button is NOT over the trigger. To manage a negligent discharge on the draw, you would have to press the button and then move your finger into the trigger guard.

I believe that what's actually happening is some hard headed students fail to listen to the instructors' advice that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Rather than work on developing a correct presentation and allowing speed to come naturally, they are desperately yanking their smokewagon out in an attempt to "beat" the other students. Serpa doesn't play nicely with this; it requires a very deliberate draw stroke. If there is any upward tension on the gun, it is very difficult to depress the release button so some folks might yank at the pistol and stab at the button until it finally comes free in a horrible, awkward grip and the spasmodic stabbing of the finger continues for a moment. Stupid hurts.

13. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    Last edited: May 19, 2013