Hey All

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by batward1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. My first post here as a new member. I picked up my first Glock 23 Gen 4 in 40 S&W this past Friday night. I took it to the range Sunday afternoon. I shot 50 rounds of Winchester 180gr FMJ target loads, these are factory loads from a local store. I put a target at 25 yards. I would shoot 12 rounds then take a break. I have no clue if that is proper break in for a pistol or not, I mainly shoot black powder rifles and muskets. Every 12 shot group would have a min of 9 holes (I'm sure I caused the fliers). One 12 shot group had all shoots in the scoring rings. Needless to say, I was very much impressed. Thanks Glock, I know another one will be in my near future!
    I am looking for thoughts on good factory ammo that would be good to use and good starter reload loads since I will do alot of reloading. Thanks to you all, any info would be helpful and hope for a long and happy relationship with my 23.
    I forgot to mention, I live in N. Illinois

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 batward1, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. :welcome:

Congrats on the G23. That was my first gun, and I have yet to even imagine regretting it. It's been faithful through daily carry, torture tests, and various other elements no gun should endure... but it's running along like the day I bought it... LIKE A CHAMP!

As for break-in period: Some people are going to tell you that there is no break-in period for a Glock; Some will tell you it only applies to the magazine; Some will tell you you should have shot one, let the barrel cool, shot two, let the barrel cool, and so-on; And some will tell you to shoot 1-200 factory rounds to make sure there are no problems, then you're good to go. I'm not too sure there's a right or wrong way to do it. Whatever you're good with should work just fine. I don't think I've ever heard a Glock owner say, "Man, this thing wasn't broken-in correctly."

For factory rounds, I usually shoot cheap WWB or Federal stuff. My G23 eats anything I put through it and asks for more. I don't reload, so I can't vouch for how good/bad they are in that aspect. But they have yet to give me any problems. I had one bad round that didn't go off in the several thousand rounds I have shot... just to give you perspective.

And, I'm kind of from Illinois, as well. What part are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I used to LOVE going to Chicago on the weekends and partying. Did a lot of work out that way, and in the Wisconsin area too.

3. Welcome from Colorado! I break my guns in by shooting as many rounds that I have with me.
  4. Welcome to GT!
  5. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

:welcome: From Michigan!