close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Herter's in .308

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by wallytoo, Dec 7, 2012.

1. wallytoo

wallytoo
    Expand Collapse
    FA4AA

Since I'm fairly new to such things, I thought I would ask you all for your advice and expertise.

My dad bought a rifle for me, and I purchased some ammo to put through it, when it eventually gets to me.

The rifle is a Browning X-Bolt, it has a composite stock, blued barrel, in .308 Win. Leupold scope. My dad liked the set-up as well as the feel of it, a LOT, but I haven't laid hands on it yet.

As you can guess from the title of the thread, I purchased 1000 rounds (with two dry storage boxes) of Herters .308 from Cabela's. I plan on using the herters at the range, and something of a higher quality for hunting.

What can I expect from this combination? Cleaning recommendations? Thoughts? I could live without the snide remarks, unless they're unusually clever.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD
    Expand Collapse

Read up on the model (I'm unfamiliar with it, it may have "quirks." Not a bad thing, just learn them.) Take the gun to the range and sight her in properly. You'll need to consult a table on bullet drop to find out the best range to zero the gun (really depends on the purpose you'll put her).

Don't get too anal about it. Say you should sight her in for a point of impact at 175 yards (I'm making this all up. Be warned!) and the range you're shooting out is 100 yards. Well, just have the rounds impact a bit low at that distance as they'll be still moving higher as they head toward the target.

Cleaning? Try to clean from the breech end. Don't get crazy with either cleaning or lubing the firearm.

Hope this helps.

#2 ChiefWPD, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

And the one thing I will add to Chief's post, is to sight in with the ammo you will actually use for hunting. The Herters will be okay for getting "on paper," but dial in with your hunting load. :thumbsup:

4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

My, you really are making stuff up.
    A typical .308 load zeroed at 175 yards would be about an inch HIGH at 100.

I have gone to cleaning smokeless rifles with Wipe-Out foam. Just squirt the barrel full of foam, let stand, patch out.
    Rub the soot off the rest of the gun with an oily cloth and toothbrush, oil the cocking cam on the bolt, and go.

5. wallytoo

wallytoo
    Expand Collapse
    FA4AA

So, the herter's won't blow up in my face?

Thanks for the replies.

6. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I never said I knew what I was talking about!

:tongueout:

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Honesty is the best policy!