close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Herter’s Select Grade Aluminum Case TNJ Ammo (Nyclad)

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by vulcan71, May 9, 2013.

1. vulcan71

vulcan71

May 8, 2013
    Milwaukee
    This ammunition is manufactured by Blazer Ammunition for the Cabela’s house brand Herter’s with a Total Nylon Jacket and is based on the Federal Nyclad technology.

I have found this ammunition to have the following benefits: clean shooting, no copper fouling and no lead fouling.

The negatives: the 9mm Luger 115gr TNJ had a defective rate of 10% based on 500 cartridges purchased. The defects ranged from excess nylon jacket material, missing nylon jacket on bullet or damaged aluminum case.

I discovered the problem when my FNX-9 slide jammed and fail to fire with a live cartridge in the chamber with the pistol ready to fire. My friend and I tried to move the slide but we could not. I called a range officer over and after 5 minutes he handed me a cartridge with a damaged nylon jacket and chewed-up rim that jammed in the chamber causing the slide to not move (there were no firing pin marks on the cartridge). Based on this problem I have to carefully inspect all the cartridges which I find too time consuming.

I also use the 40 S&W 165gr TNJ and found 13 defective cartridges out of 300 cartridges purchased but I have not had an issue.

I do not have any experience with the 45 ACP 230gr TNJ ammunition.

When I use the ammunition I always have a clean firearm that has a recently oiled bore (properly maintained firearm) and I do not fire more than 100 rounds per range session.

2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

I fire a flintlock more times than that in a range session!! :whistling:

3. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

Jun 17, 2012
    Tulsa Oklahoma
    Blazer Aluminum Case has a very good reputation for accuracy in Glocks.

I know of many competition shooter who prefer it over any other.

500 rounds is a very small sample, but if the defect rate really is 10% on the Herters, that would make it a no go...

4. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    I've had no issues with the CCI Blazer aluminum ammo. In fact, I just shot a box of 'em yesterday. Any accuracy problems ain't the ammo in my case!!!! :crying:

5. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

Jun 17, 2012
    Tulsa Oklahoma
    Why not shoot more?

That's not really much of a range session...

6. vulcan71

vulcan71

May 8, 2013
    Milwaukee
    I live in a Milwaukee so I shoot mainly on weekends where in-door ranges limit your time to 1 hour so I shot up to 100 cartridges per firearm and I usually bring at least three or more so I do not shoot 100 cartridges per range session as that would be a waste of paid range time. In the summer I travel to different ranges in-door and out-door this is the time where I can shoot all day. :cool:

As to the sample, it is based on my experience while using the ammo and is not intended to be a scientific measurement. I have read and contributed to the rating forum at Cabela’s regarding this ammunition and people either like it (no issues) or do not like it (many issues) so I am taking a neutral position as I like the ammunition but I do not like how many defective cartridges I have found in what I have purchased and what I found on the store shelf so I have examined many boxes. The ammunition examined is from many different lots (at least 20) due to buying the ammunition over many trips or online.

I have no position on Blazer products and I have used the blazer 40 S&W ammunition in aluminum cartridges on a few occasions and have found the product to be of good quality. I bought the Herter’s product because I wanted to try a Nyclad bullet and I kept buying because that was all that was available. I stopped buying the ammunition when my pistol jammed due a defective cartridge and that is when I discovered the issues.

In closing I am taking a neutral position on the Herter’s Select Grade Aluminum Case TNJ Ammo (Nyclad).

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont

I am neutral about this odd ammo also. I wonder if they make JHP bullets?

8. vulcan71

vulcan71

May 8, 2013
    Milwaukee
    No only 9x19 mm 115gr TNJ-RN, 40 S&W 165gr TNJ-FN and 45 ACP TNJ-RN, Federal has brought back the Nyclad but I have only seen it in 38 Special 125gr HP #P38MA.

9. frogmorton11

frogmorton11

Oct 24, 2012
    I bought a box of the .45 Herters Al case TNJ and used some this weekend in my g30sf. Worst ammo I have ever used. Wildly inaccurate. I couldn't believe what wild patterns this thing threw. And yes, I have run many a round through this gun and it and I shoot just fine. The last straw was when I got a fail to feed. First ever in this gun. On inspecting the unspent cases, they had obvious bulges around the bullet. I gave the rest of the box to another guy at the range and won't be buying any more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Never heard of it before this. I have nyclad for my jframe.

11. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Sounds like junk to me.

12. That must be a week long range session.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.