close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Here's my idea, what do you think? Glasers...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Stevenson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Stevenson

Stevenson

Jan 21, 2012
    What are everyone's thought on Glasers or other frangibles?

Here is the way my mind works. Feel free to tell me Im crazy...

My thinking is to carry a Glaser in "the hole" then the rest of the mag is full of JHP. My thinking is that no matter how much practice/training, when the %#*+ hits the fan my 1st shot will most likely be least accurate. My thought of making my 1st shot a frangible I might "wing em'" or stun them so I can get a more accurate 2nd, 3rd etc shot off.

Plausible, crazy? Better idea?

Your thoughts?

2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Take up golf.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    A crappy round is a crappy round, whether it's the first or the last.

4. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Oct 9, 2005
    I would suggest picking a good JHP and stick with it. There is no need to mix and match rounds in your gun for any reason.

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    What if your first round hits, but since it's a less effective round, you have to fire 4 "more lethal" rounds, but 3 of those miss?

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I would load up with the ammo you'd use if you only had one shot.
    It wouldn't be Glaser.

7. Shenron

Shenron

Dec 22, 2008
    The Glaser rounds are a specialty round and should only be used in very specific situations.

Honestly, the only situation I can think of is if you live in a thin walled apartment complex with your neighbors front door exactly in front of yours. Like I do...

I would not recommend them in anything but a wheel gun, they have a chance to cause cycling problems. I would definitely have a speed loader or two full of JHP's just in case though.

8. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Rounds such as Glasers, EFMJ and etc go thru walls and can still be lethal. No point to any of them IMO.(Well unless you live in commie NJ)

9. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Oct 9, 2005
  10. Shenron

Shenron

Dec 22, 2008
    Wow, Aint that a B*$#%. There goes that idea.

11. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Try starting on page 46 of this magazine. Since it did not fit Roberts bias that slow and heavy is best, not much reals testing besides gel is done. I think the hogs in this article would disagree with Roberts. Just shows hogs have good taste. We need get out of the box sometimes.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanCop/ACJA09/

12. I would tend to think that the first round out would be rather important.
    You may not get the chance to screw up the first round and then make up for it.
    Practice.
    Practice realistic gun fighting and try to become familiar with drawing quickly and getting rounds on target.
    I think that if you need to fire multiple rounds while someone is firing back at you then that first one may be the best aimed round of them all.

13. DocKWL

DocKWL

May 15, 2009
  14. DocKWL

DocKWL

May 15, 2009
    Who told you Dr. Roberts said slow and heavy was best?

You too need to crawl out from under that box.

15. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    All you need to do is respond to the article posted about a specific ammunition deemed to be falsely advertised. I have many quotes on your thoughts on this round.

I read every link you have posted and I am sure I missed something. Please boil down your respones on the links. I am not talking about frangable ammo. I am talking about this particular ammo. I did not post a link to a ninja forum, but to a magazine reporting on an actual event.

16. DocKWL

DocKWL

May 15, 2009

I would suggest you read my thoughts on the slow/heavy comment HERE. Post 16 in a thread in this forum.

As for LeMas, I suggest reading THIS

17. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Just because you conducted a good smear campaign, does not mean you are correct. You have not addressed the actual observations in the article, and you may want to look at this also. When I say, "out of the box", I mean cold ballistic gel may not work for all ammunition.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11179&highlight=rbcd

By the way, your list of ammo does show a slow/heavy - fast/light bright line. The only light bullets are copper and there are no 115 +p+ 9mm. To think that all of the experience from the ISP and the border patrol mean nothing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. DocKWL

DocKWL

May 15, 2009
    Yes, you are right. LeMas is magic ammunition that defies the laws of physics.

Smear campaign? Hardly.

No? I'm wondering if you read the link I posted.

19. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh

That may be true, but it does not say anything about the actual results. I gave you a magazine article with pictures and a link from Professional Soldier with pictures. Please address the results of the studies. He may have violated some animal rights law, but I will take a live hog to cold gel test anytime.

As far as the law of physics, in the article they found the ammunition did not fragment in colder simulant, but did in warmer simulant.

No comment on my slow/heavy remark????

20. DocKWL

DocKWL

May 15, 2009
    To comment on your edit,

I will stay focused on your 9mm. A full nine out of the fourteen loads listed are under 147gr. with the 147gr. being considered as the slow and heavy bullets that cause so much concertation within this caliber. Not bad considering your unsupported claim of, "Roberts bias that slow and heavy is best".

The ISP and USBP seem to be getting along just fine without their 115gr +P+.