Here are official gelatin results for all of the DoubleTap loads!

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by MCNETT, Jan 27, 2005.

1. You're probably right although he should also lower his prices...

He has lost a literal ton of business to Underwood already.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I agree but I think he could still stay in business even at the inflated prices if he was just honest.

3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember
    CLM

Any way you slice it, Mike McNett helped to move the 10MM Auto cartridge forward in popularity and power. Times were getting pretty bleak there for those in search of Norma power levels back in the day. Folks were thinking the .40 S&W would supplant the 10MM when Mike picked up the torch.

His initial cartridges using Starline Brass were well made and consistent. His case discount made it attractively priced then too. Forum members were buying more and more with good reports. Then he got his own stamped nickel plated cases and to me that product coupled with the 200 grain XTP was a good reason to stop searching for the right 10MM round and just load up the truck. I've shot thousands of completely reliable rounds from that era and absolutely could not be happier with the round.

Another thing worth considering I think. In business it is common that initial set prices rise as time passes and the owner gets a truer picture of what his true costs are. Furthermore it is common in businesses like this that have fairly low cost of entry that new guys are frequently joining the market at low and likely unsustainable prices because they still don't know the full magnitude of their costs.

I'm sorry to see some of these recent issues and hopefully changes will be implemented to get back the QC of the not so distant past. It's not like us shooters are exactly flush with choices for 10MM, Mike has done good for the round and I hope he sticks around for a long time.

4. Why are the 200gr noslers missing advertised velocity when ran through a 6" hunter barrel and around 100-150fps slower from a 4.6" barrel than advertised?

5. Mag360, DT used to load ammunition to the claimed velocities but several years ago, they reduced the loads and never changed the claims. Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and a few other companies make ammunition that meets their claims.

Take a look at this spreadsheet. It gives tested specs on quite a few 10mm loads. Just click on the bullet weight to see loads in that weight range.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...true&sortcolid=8&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

6. thanks! I have that spreadsheet too. I've added some of pat Quinn's (gunblast.com) testing in as well with his 6.3" barrel and a couple other various loads he has done.

7. Great! Intercooler put it together with data gathered from his tests, Shadow's, and my own.

8. So on their website they list hollow points but not a manufacturer. Who do they buy from?

9. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

They were called down on using the trademark names by Speer namely Gold Dot...now they are referred to as "bonded defense".
    :whistling:

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I don't wish anything ill toward DT, I also credit McNett with helping revitalize the 10mm, along with offering some uptempo loads in in other otherwise watered down calibers.
    Still, I'm also disappointed with exaggerative claims that don't jive with the chrono and I have experienced that myself using the .44sp load from 3 guns over the chrono.

11. Are they still being exaggerated? It's been 9 years since this thread was started. Have they not addressed the issue?