Henckels Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Cali-Glock, Dec 29, 2005.

1. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

At Kohl's Department Store, they have a set of Henckels International Fine Edge Synergy 13 pc cutlery set for 50 bucks...regularly 83 bucks....

They may be low end Henckels, but that's better than my ancient and dull Ginsu's.....

Whatta ya think..should I call Santa!?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Mild Bill

Millennium Member

3. tavo

4. I was interested in getting one of those Shuns for a while. That was until I read some recommendations for a Tojiro DP Guyoto. I bought the 180mm (about 7 inches). At $45 (the 210mm/8.5" is only $5 more) plus $7 shipping I don't think there's a better deal for a quality kitchen knife. The blade is extremely sharp & very well balanced.

I really would like to get one of the knives on this page but I'd have to sell a gun to finance it.
  5. Update.............

I received a 3 pc set of Messermiester knives for Christmas. The Chef knife is an 8 inch. I have fallen in love with this knife, I wasn't sure if I wanted an 8 or a 10 inch.....However the 8 is plenty of knife....

Oh and did I say I have fallen in love with the knives? :)
  6. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I received a 10" Shun Chief's Knife (In left handed!!!!!) for Christmas. I really like it. Its wicked sharp. Feels great in your hand. Its grind is very narrow which allows you to cut very thin slices of delicate foods. Despite its size its very light; the fatigue factor is much less than it would be with similar sized German knives I've used. I plan on fleshing out my collection with some more Shun knives. Particularly the Tomato knife and probably the boning knife.
  7. tavo

8. Wow. Great price! If used on bread and tomatoes only, it should stay sharp more than long enough to be well worth it!
  9. Mr V

The wife and I keep our knives sharp!!!!!!
    Biggest problem I have is not letting other people use them. (Its amazing how dull people let their knives get.)
    Our kitchen knives are going on 25 years and still going strong.
  10. Cousin

Cousin Gambel's Quail

Henckels and Wusthoff are certainly nice, well-made knives. You can't go wrong with either. I own a few of each. But, my collection of kitchen knives is somewhat large and eclectic to say the least. I'm one of those cooks who looks for feel in the hand, weight, balance, comfort and purpose when I buy cutlery. In addition to the German-made ones, I have a custom-made 10" chef's from a NY knifemaker, a Thiers-Issard carbon steel French chef's, half a dozen different Kyocera ceramics, numerous Forschner and Dexter-Russell knives, a Mundial 6" chef's, a Global, a 10" Case carving knife, a Lamson cleaver and several Asian-made knives along with a few oddball specialty knives I collected along the way. Probably 35 in all.

If you haven't yet purchased your knives, don't overlook the Victorinox Forschner line of stamped steel knives. They consistently score very high marks in test kitchens and among professional chefs in volume eateries. Sharp, relatively inexpensive, hold an edge well, take an edge easily, feel good in the hand, non-slip grip, dishwasher safe and the 10" or 12" chef's models are powerful enough to go lengthwise through a butternut or spaghetti squash with ease.
  11. Have any of you guys seen the titanium knives? I just saw them recently, don't know much about them except their quite expensive and very sharp I'm told.
  12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Here's a partial shot of my batterie de cuisine:

Mostly Wustoff, some Henkels, some Tramontina, a few Global.

I started out really liking the Wustoff and to a degree the Henckles. But as my skills and usage of these blades progressed I found I favored the Globals and bought some vintage carbon steel Sabatier off evil bay and my preferences have shifted.

I've got about 6 Global blades now and three Sabatier and they are superior if every respect. The Global blades are razor sharp and very easy to restore an edge. The Global boning and filet knives are thin and springy just like they should be. I'd own a bunch of Sabatier carbon steel knives if they still made them.

Chef is right though...learn how to hold and use a 10-12" chefs knife properly and it will replace your food processor and do 90% of your kitchen tasks...
  13. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I have a Kitchenaid 7" Santoku that keeps a razor sharp edge for a long time and I do most of my slicing with that (we eat a lot of raw and slightly cooked vegetables). I also have a Wusthoff Grand Prix paring knife I use a lot but I don't know why because it won't hold an edge worth a darn and the grinds are just terrible. I don't know what people see in the Solingen made stuff. The steel is nowhere near as good as high carbon or Japanese stainless and they aren't cheap!
  14. I have a set of Berghoffs they cut like a katana. Awesome steel German made.
  15. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have to chime in here with even more perspective and experience since I posted last year. This fall I got a great deal on some Shun Elite Kitchen knives and I have to say--that out of all the Wusthoff, Henckles, Vintage carbon Sabatier, even my wondeful Global knives, they are hands down the BEST kitchen knives I have ever used in 20 years of owning serious Kitchen cutlery.

My advice for anyone looking to buy a set of Kitchen knives right now is to look at the Shun line....Classic if that's all you can afford. But the Elite line is fabulous. I can't tell you how much they outshine my German knives. The Globals are good too... In many ways better than the German stuff...
  16. I have a set of Case chefs knives that I like a lot, but I seem to use my Berghoff and Sabatier sanioku the most.