close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help with PSA order gone awry. AR noob question.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by reset, Sep 4, 2013.

1. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Sounds great,.....glad to hear mediocre service is working out for you. I'll stop complaining about PSA, seems a few are getting a bit butthurt over my comments.

2. 03scgt

03scgt

May 23, 2011
    South Florida
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Don't let it bother you

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    I asked you a simple question, that's not butthurt. Don't think you can just spit out whatever you want and not get called on it. You aren't that special.

You responded with the "wonder all you want I could careless" whining and your passive aggressive childish comments and you want to talk about butthurt? Pot, meet kettle, kettle has some issues...

4. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Wow,.....looks like I did hit a nerve! :tongueout: I was not singling YOU out, you are actually one of the "voices of reason" and approach the PSA deal with a rather level head,.....or at least you used to. Now I'm not so sure. So who is the pot and who is the kettle?

I have no problem getting called out on a comment. Never thought I was "special", never said I was, did I? The fact remains. PSA screws up orders, charges customers, then ships weeks later, ships upper with canted sights, loose barrels, missing gas tubes, and the wrong gas tubes. Did I miss anything?

The facts are there, their customer service has has issues. Their assembly of parts and pieces has issues. Do they deal with said issues, yes. However, the issues should never be there in the first place.

5. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I hear ya,.......just gets a bit old when some cheese ball jumps on your *** for having an opinion than said cheeseball wants to argue over the size of the moon.

I should know better,..........those sparkly fishing lures just look so yummy! I bite 'em every time. :faint:

6. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    I used to enjoy this forum........now every thread, no matter the subject, usually ends up in a pissing match.

7. Glockgeezer

Glockgeezer

Nov 24, 2012
    Central Florida
    When I read about the 14.5 PSA, I thought at first, wow, this guy is sick. He needs a biopsy and he needs it right now! But as I read the next few posts I realized he was talking about a gun. Never mind! Isn't it funny what a different mindset you have when you're past 70?

8. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

Feb 9, 2010
    St Louis
    Isn't that the Internet.........?

9. reset

reset

Nov 29, 2011
    North Texas
    HAHAHAHA.
    I never looked at it that way.

10. reset

reset

Nov 29, 2011
    North Texas
    I've noticed that. I read a bunch of threads here but rarely post for that very reason.

Still, I actually am entertained by so many being drawn offsides so often. I don't begrudge most of the conflict.

11. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    OP
    I bought a PSA 14.7 CHF upper two years ago and mated it to a "Don't tread on me" PSA lower. All parts PSA except the lower receiver extension kit with a H buffer which I bought from BCM. PSA didn't offer mil spec 7075 buffer tubes back then. I put quite a bit of rds through it and it shoots and handles very nicely. I hope you are as satisfied with yours.

12. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    It is rumored
    Are BCM's hammered forged barrels nearly twice chrome lined? Cause ALL FN made CHF barrels are. FN will make other button rifled barrels to customers specs, but ALL FN made CHF barrels are made from M249 machine gun steel only and nearly twice as thick chrome lined only.

Exception is FN's Stainless Steel CHF barrel.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    FN M16 type barrels are made to mil spec. No more, no less. Same for the SAW.

Lets not make them out to be like something forged by the god Vulcan.

As far as SS barrels don't get chrome lined...there's a scientific reason for that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    If that's the case just standard mil spec 4150 cmv, than why do they list it as FN's proprietary blend of steel used exclusively on thier M249"s saw machine guns?

What about the double chrome lining? Lets not forget about this. Are BCM HF barrels double chrome lined?

15. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Chrome thickness can vary from a few tenths of a thousandth to over .001". Unless you know the thickness of the FN chroming and the thickness of the chrome of the competitors chrome, double anything doesn't mean much. You can only deposit so much chrome before the bore size starts to get to small and the rifling is not as crisp. They could make the bore slightly oversize to compensate for the thicker chrome though.

FN could add .02% more of a particular alloying element to the industry standard barrel steel and call it "proprietary" or "special". Companies try to differentiate themselves from other companies with often gimmicky differences to make their customers think they are getting something special.

16. reset

reset

Nov 29, 2011
    North Texas
    Thanks so much. I started the build almost a year ago and got caught without components after Newton. Its been a long time of patience waiting for the supply to replenish at reasonable prices. In the meantime, I've been putting a friend's upper on the lower I finished last year. I'm just ready to finally have my own complete rifle!

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Ever heard of advertisement? That's how Glock got everybody to call "plastic" "polymer" nowadays.

Beretta now claims that their plastic guns are made out of "technopolymer". Damn, that sounds impressive. Technopolymer must be better than good ole fashion polymer, right?

What about double chrome lining? How does that help anything out? Are there data showing that double chrome lining extending barrel life?

FN makes mil-specs M16-family rifles. Mil-spec means mil-spec. It doesn't mean that you can do whatever you feel like it even though it might be better. Also, why should they offer a gun made out of components better than mil-spec? They don't get to charge Uncle Sam Caddy's price when Uncle Sam told them to deliver a Chevy.

18. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

Feb 9, 2010
    St Louis
    If chrome lining is good, double chrome lining is more better!

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Mo' hotta, mo' betta.

20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Because it sells.