close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with my first load?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shane.rawlings, Nov 6, 2011.

1. shane.rawlings

shane.rawlings
    Expand Collapse

Im using titegroup, missouri bullet company 147gr lead fp, and federal primers

im using all this in a G34 with a lone wolf barrel,

im thinking of starting out at 3.2 or 3.3 and was wondering what some of you do...

i want a minimum of 850 fps but between 875-900 to be safe would be ideal...

the manual i have doesnt list any tite group with .356 lead 147gr bullets,

thanks for your help

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Waits for fred... :whistling:

#2 IndyGunFreak, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

4. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

^^^^ This. Fred will sense that you uttered the word, TITEGROUP, will be unceremoniously roused from one of his many daily naps and give you a sound verbal thrashing for even thinking of using the equivalent of the Devil's spawn as a propellent.

Fred is correct in thinking that the only pistol powder God needed to invent was Unique. :whistling:

Jack

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:rofl:

6. shane.rawlings

shane.rawlings
    Expand Collapse

i might go with some unique next time, but for now i have tite group...

i tried that site but the only 147 gr they have is .355 not .356... im assuming that makes a difference in pressure, though ive been wrong before... and does lead change anything as well?

#6 shane.rawlings, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Do you have a reloading manual? You need to read it..

IGF

8. shane.rawlings

shane.rawlings
    Expand Collapse

the one i have doesnt mention lead 147 gr bullets, the lyman 49th is on its way

9. atakawow

atakawow
    Expand Collapse

DO NOT begin loading until you have fully read the Lyman 49th at least once or twice.

the listed .355 is most likely for a full metal jacket (FMJ) bullet. With lead bullet, you will generally want at least a thousandth of an inch larger than your bore diameter.

Lead changes everything. Best to never use FMJ data for lead.

You are messing with Titegroup without the basic understanding of the difference between lead and FMJ.

Again, DO NOT attempt to load any round until you have fully read the Lyman 49th at least once or twice.

10. shane.rawlings

shane.rawlings
    Expand Collapse

dont worry, the press is in the mail too... i dont want to do anything crazy...

11. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

TG, LW, all we need is an FCD.

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

One of the reasons for concern about Titegroup (and probably Bullseye as well) is that these are fast powders and a little bit goes a long way. A little bit more because of a brain fart mixing data for FMJ and lead bullets is enough to do a huge amount of damage. Hence the warnings.

Why Unique? Well, it takes a truck load of Unique to make up a load. You just about can't overcharge a case. As a result, it is less sensitive to screw-ups. A double charge will almost always spill out the top of the case so, for beginners, this is a nice safe powder for learning the business of reloading.

Do not take this as suggesting anything less than precision charges. Accuracy is everything with powder charges.

Another advantage of Unique is that it has been around forever. Loads using Unique are all over the place. Every conceivable caliber and bullet combination probably has a published Unique load somewhere. Titegroup is, IMO, a 'botique' powder: you may, or may not, find loading data in the manuals published by bullet manufacturers. The Hodgdon data may, or may not, be sufficient.

I like to get my reloading data from published material. I want to see it written down. If I get something from the Internet, I want to be able to cross-check it with published data.

FWIW, I just made up my first batch of test loads using Titegroup. I haven't had a chance to get to the range and test them for velocity and accuracy. Maybe later in the week.

Richard

13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

The Lyman 49th does have a load for a 147 gr lead FN bullet. When you get your manual, notice how close "Suggested Starting Grains" is to "Max Load Grains". There's just 0.4 gr difference. Some powders don't even meter to 0.1 gr consistently. So, be careful!

Richard

14. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

When I was using the 147gr. X-treme bullets I used 3.2grs. of Tight Group. Went to 135gr. X-treme bullets with 3.5grs of Tight Group 1.120,1.135 depending on what your gun likes.

15. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

TG makes wonderful fertilizer, enough said. Well, maybe one more thing. FOr noob reloaders, starting w/ a powder like TG is a severe handicap IMO. Too narrow a range, too steep a pressure curve, no room for error, ESPECIALLY w/ heavy for caliber bullets in small volumn cases. Noob reloaders tend to make errors, starting w/ lead bullets & TG is just one. Someone will come along & give you their prefered load via the internet, not the best places to get useful, vetted data IMO. I know it's not what you want to hear, you just want someone to tell you what to load, but there it is. Opinions will vary.

#15 fredj338, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  16. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

This thread makes me want to order another 8lb jug of Unique.

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I wouldn't recommend TG for those bullets.... and that's comming from a TG whore.

3.6g WST with get you where you want to be, with great accuracy and a lot less smoke. :supergrin:

18. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Jack is smiling right now.:supergrin:

19. shane.rawlings

shane.rawlings
    Expand Collapse

ive seen about equal praise for unique, TG, WST, and 231...

what would you say the order of good to bad for beginner would be for those?

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

In order: Unique, W231, WST & TG. It's pretty diff to get into trouble w/ Unique, not impossible, but way more diff than TG. When you are dealing w/ small volumn/high pressure rounds, the slower the powder, the more wiggle room. Pressures build in a more linear fashion & you tend not to see pressure spikes.:dunno: