close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help with Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Card?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArmoredSaint, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

Aug 16, 2002
    USA
    I'm looking to install a Hi-speed USB Card 2.0 to take advantage of my iPOD that uses that speed on my Sony VAIO PC running Windows XP, is it just a plug and play controller card? And will my other built-in USB's still work? I assume it is backwards compatible and the cards seem pretty cheap.

Thanks!

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Older, slower machines usually need drivers installed, but a P4 class rig with XP SP! or later installed ought to work just fine as is.

And if you can, buy one with 4 ports so you can stop using the 1.1 USB for anything.

There is a 40X speed advantage in USB 2.0's favor, you know!

3. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Nov 10, 2001
    South of Houston
    I would get a Firewire/USB/Combo Card. iPod plays/works better with Firewire for some reason. Most of the iPod MSWindows problems I see at http://www.iPodLounge.com are USB related.

Are you sure your VAIO does not already have a Firewire port? Most Sony's do. Sony calls it i-Link.

4. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

Aug 16, 2002
    USA
    You are the man! I do have a firewire and your right, it's called the i.LINK S400, but why the hell would they do that to confuse me :D, but is the firewire self-powered like USB ports? Also, I'm running out of USB ports too and a 4 or 5 port is a great idea.

Thanks!

5. bobby_w

Nov 10, 2001
    South of Houston
    Sony was one of the first PC Mfg's to implement FireWire. Plus it just sounded better to the marketing slugs.

The FireWire ports are powered. I have my iPod dock plugged into one of my machines to sync iTunes and charge iPod.

I also bought Apples stereo connection kit to connect iPod up to my Home Entertainment Center. It comes with an additional dock, power supply and a Monster Cable. I have all my CD's in iPod (3000 songs). It also charges iPod at the same time. I just hit shuffle and away it goes for days of music.

6. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

Aug 16, 2002
    USA
    I just did what you mentioned and switched from USB to firewire too, a big difference in speed updating the iPOD.

Also brought a new USB 2.0 card from newegg.com for $20 with 5 ports! BTW, how can you tell if your stuff (ex. camera, scanner and etc.) does 2.0 or not? Do I need new USB 2.0 cables or will the regular USB cables work just fine?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again!

7. bobby_w

Nov 10, 2001
    South of Houston
    Your other equipment will work. USB 2.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 1.0.

I have not had to change out any cables, to-date. Maybe I have just been lucky.