Help with geriatric cat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Mopaw, Sep 3, 2013.

1. My cat will be seventeen next month. She is a picky eater (is it redundant to say that? she is a cat!). I think she is suffering from occasional constipation. I base this assumption on an observation one day recently. She began to vomit, and then passed a couple very hard stools from the other end. What can I do to help relieve the situation? I have tried higher-end food, but she will often snub the "good" stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Mopaw

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Colt vs. Wesson; need some help! 1911 Forums Thursday at 3:26 PM
    Help Us Defeat a Senseless Policy Cop Talk Thursday at 11:50 AM
    Arkansas members need your help General Glocking Thursday at 10:46 AM
    MX991/U (anglehead army) flashlight help sought. Survival/Preparedness Forum Thursday at 3:12 AM
    Search Help General how-To Help Forum Wednesday at 8:01 PM

3. Vomiting will cause dehydration and hard stool but you need to find out why the cat is vomiting. I see the post is a few weeks old, how is the cat? You probably need to take the cat to the vet (if you haven't done so by now). The vomiting could be caused by a hairball or the cat ate something that disagreed with her or something worse. 17 years is getting up there for a cat. We have 8 cats so we've been through this before. Hope the cat is better.

4. Yup, she's better now. Still treating her kindly. She has been a good companion since my dog found her under my truck at about 2-3 weeks of age.

5. TheBlazer

TheBlazer TheBlazer

When my beloved cat, Sweetie, had surgery a few years ago, she didn't have a bowel movement for days afterward. I went to the vet and he gave me a tube of Lax'aire (not sure if it is prescription or not, it is made by Pfizer) and that had her internal plumbing back to normal in just a day or so.