close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

HELP! Windows Media Player automatically starts up when computer is turned on

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sky Pirate 7, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Sky Pirate 7

Sky Pirate 7

Mar 1, 2005
    I don't understand why. A few people said it was spyware or trojan related but I don't know how to fix it. I posted my hijack this logs on the spyware forums and they tried to help but nothing they told me to do solved it. ;g

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    Have you looked through the entries in your MSConfig tool (Start>Run>msconfig)? I would start there to make sure there's nothing in the startup tab that explicitly calls the mediaplayer. You may also want to check the Startup folder in your start menu.

When it starts up, is it playing any particular media file, or is it just launching the application?

3. Sky Pirate 7

Sky Pirate 7

Mar 1, 2005
    It is just launching the application. No particular file, just the program pops up.

What is it I should do with the MSConfig, and how?

Thanks for the help. This is an extremely annoying problem that Microsoft doesn't seem to have a solution to.

Here's the startup items in MSConfig:

mobsync.exe
    ati2mdxx.exe
    syntplpr.exe
    syntpenh.exe
    pctspk.exe
    pelmiced.exe
    directcd.exe
    hpgs2wnd.exe
    qttask.exe
    avgcc.exe
    avgemc.exe
    atiptaxx.exe
    gcasserve.exe
    ctfmon.exe

That's it.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    Okay. All of those processes are innocuous enough (although I really hate qttask and directcd).

I'll assume that you looked in the Startup folder in your Start Menu and didn't find anything. If there is an entry in there calling up your media player, I would move it into a different menu folder and try to restart the system.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I am sure some of the full-time nerds here would have some better ideas around the ini files and startup options to help diagnose the problem.

Lotsa luck,
    Joey

BTW, you did everything with MSConfig that I would do (basically just listing the startup items). Checking and unchecking items in there may be good for diagnosing a problem, but it always gives me more grief than doing the work directly in the registry.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    what version of media player are you using?

(click help -> about)

6. Sky Pirate 7

Sky Pirate 7

Mar 1, 2005
    Startup folder in start menu is empty.

Windows Media Player version 10.00.00.3646

I used to have Windows Media Player version 9 and when I upgraded to version 10, that's when I started having the startup problems. I then "unupgraded" back to Windows Media Player 9 but then Windows Media Player 9 was also launching at system startup too. I went back and forth between version 9 and 10 multiple times trying to fix the problem, forcibly deleting Windows Media Player and going into the registry but nothing worked. I ran spyware checks and posted my adaware logs on a couple of the spyware forums but they couldn't find anything that would be a problem.

7. Sky Pirate 7

Sky Pirate 7

Mar 1, 2005
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

I downloaded Eidos, and it's a pretty cool anti-spyware program but it wasn't able to fix the problem. So then I used Microsoft Antispyware and went into advanced tools, system explorers, startup programs. Although not listed as a startup program, it WAS listed in some kind of system registry option. Really wierd. So anyway, I blocked it from startup, restarted my computer, and Windows Media Player didn't start up automatically anymore. I restarted again, and same thing. So I think I can say I have solved the problem!

Thanks everyone for your help!