close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help save my life - what kind of motorcycle gear do I need?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eurodriver, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

So, I used to ride in a wife beater, basketball shorts, and flip flops.

Then I started getting pelted with debris on my feet and in my face, read on here about how just about every one of you has dropped a bike at least once, so I switched to this.

[​IMG]

I have a SHOEI RF1100 and wear shoes (but not riding boots)

Today I bought some good gloves with hard knuckles for protection. Just having jeans, gloves, and a helmet on I felt so much more protected.

Now I want a jacket and some boots.

I live in FL and will soon be riding 90 mile round trips at interstate speeds and I have no windscreen. I need something that will offer protection from sliding across the pavement as well as being tolerable both in the heat and the cold (if its below 50* I won't ride, but that probably won't ever happen).

Is leather better than textile jackets with armor? I don't want to wear huge harley-type riding boots, but is there a hybrid black shoe looking thing that functions as a boot that won't slide off in a wreck?

2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

In your case, for comforts sake, I wouldnt wear anything. Totally nude, YOLO.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You'd be better off asking this question in the Aprilia Forum, but I'll make some recommendation:

1. There needs to be a compromise between maximum protection and comfort. For commuting, leathers will be miserable in the hot, humid days of Florida. Next best up would be mesh gears and BMW Apparels leads the way with tough mesh gears (not all mesh gears are the same). It's like wearing a T-shirt practically.

2. Jeans or heavy pants are fine unless you want to get some nylon riding pants with mesh in it.

3. There are riding boots with vents/mesh combination. Go to SIDI website (and other boots websites) to look at them. You'd want to at least cover the ankles if not more.

When the temp cool down enough then switch to leathers for more abrasion resistance.

Whatever condition you can think of, there's a riding gear tailored for it.

4. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Thank fn, I just saw your reply over on AF.

I'll ask over there, but I know alot of folks ride on here. Those guys seem to be geared more toward hardcore racing and such.

5. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Buy a decent car. No amount of "gear" is going to protect you in a bad accident. You will lose everytime.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I really like Icon products and have a few of their items. HH

7. berto62

berto62

Buy good quality gear. Some BMW gear in action

[ame]http://youtu.be/o6j9u0qNPgY[/ame]

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

really? thats like asking for the best gear for falling off a cliff and not including a parachutte.

riding a motorcycle is like swimming with sharks....its just a matter of time.....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Minimum? Helmet, gloves, some type of boot with ankle protection and jeans.

Jacket with protection in critical places and riding pants are preferred.

I've used Joe Rocket, First Gear, and Cortech stuff and have been happy. I wore my Hein Gericke Jacket to work this morning since it was around 61 degrees.

10. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

You can get into a good mesh jacket with a liner for under $200.

Look into Icon, joe rocket fieldshear just to name a few. Cyclegear would be a good website to look around on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. JMS

JMS 02

No matter how tempted don't do this...
    [​IMG]

12. Sharkey

Sharkey

Now how is this helpful? He already has a cycle so you posting this is going to make him get rid of it and get a car?

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

sure, but if he doesnt he should make sure his organ donor box is check on his driver's license.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

There's no reason for getting all formal, shorts and gay flops should be fine.
    Helmets are overrated too.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, people don't get hurt badly or killed in car accidents?

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why bother? Without all the protective features of a car, a motorcyclist's innards would be beaten to a pulp. When I go, I'm taking all my mushed organs with me.

17. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Protect your wallet in a clear plastic baggie; that way the EMT's can find your organ donor card in the mess.

:tongueout:

18. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

what are you talking about? That's his girlfriend on the back.:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. trashcat

trashcat

The best gear is the gear that you're going to wear every time you ride. Number one is wearing the helmet every time, shoei is a good brand. In florida get a textile mesh jacket that's not black with hard armor in the joints not just pads. The mesh is not as protective as a solid leather suit and armour but you're more likely to wear it in the heat. Get a second non mesh water proof jacket for rain, the liners for mesh jackets always suck. Or get a regular water proof shell jacket that will fit over the mesh jacket. Wearing pants is better than shorts and riding pants are better still. I wear shorts almost every day and just put on over-pants that I can put on without taking my boots off. For my 10 minute commute to work I have a extra large pair of carhartts that I sewed a velcro strap to the bottom of the legs to keep them from flapping. For foot wear flip flops really? You don't have to wear a real motorcycle boot but if you can pull off you shoe while it's laced up it's not good for riding. I like a short hiking/trail running style boot that I wear all day instead of changing out of boots when I get to work.
    As far as brands go I like Tour Master, reasonably priced fairly simple but sturdy gear that has worked well for me.

20. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'd suggest no helmet and a decent bullet proof vest, that way your organs have some protection.