close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP! Problems with NIB G30SF & Mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dookeyface, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

I just purchased a new Glock 30SF and I noticed that when I insert the two mags that came with it, I am not able to release the slide. I also have two new mags that I purchased and there seems to be differences between them (followers, & body type). At first I thought it was the gun itself, when I insert the two mags that were purchased, I am able to release the slide with the release lever by itself, and also by sliding the slide to the rear most position, and pushing down on the release lever. Any suggestions with the mags?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now about the gun. As stated, it is brand new. Purchased today, and the test shell casing was dated/fired last week in Georgia. Comparing it to my Glock 22 RTF2 it's troublesome when breaking it down, When I finally was able to get the slide to move forward. I had to add force to push it off the frame. The double recoil spring/rod appears to be strong (metal?) but stiff. I had a hard time getting it back in position on the slide/barrel. When I break down the 22, slide the lock down, the slide slides off forward with ease. Is this normal with the 30? Does it need breaking in? Possible defect?

2. swage

swage

I cant respond on the mag issue as I do not own a G30. I just recently purchased a G36 and when breaking the gun down noticed that it was difficult to remove the slide. Also when reassembling the pistol it was much harder to put the slide back on. I believe it is due to the stiffer recoil spring/guide rod and a larger radius on where it seats itself on the barrel/recoil lug area. I wouldnt be concerned if I were you. It seems to be normal.

3. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

Thanks for the response. I now see where the potential problem is with the stiffness of the slide. There is a bump on the trigger bar on my 30, that is not on my 22.

Check out this video where the guy points out the differences between the Gen 3, and Gen 4. My guess is that Glock is now using this newly designed trigger bar in all their newer models (mine just left the factory NIB last week). My 30 is obviously Gen 3, but has this bumpy bar inside.

4. locosteelersfan

locosteelersfan

the 30w/10rds is really tight. Load the mags and let them sit for a few days. Insert one in the gun to put more pressure on it. It'll loosen up, you'll be OK. Mine was te same way.

5. locosteelersfan

locosteelersfan

The TB on the 30sf has been a point of contention for some time. yours most like says -1- on it. Thats what they switched too earlier this year.

6. dieselgrin

dieselgrin

I bought my 30SF about a year ago. It has a mag like the one on left, new factory. No problem taking it down. Take it back to where you bought it and let the dealer mess with it. He won't exchange it, but will help you send it back to Glock if there is a problem.

7. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

I haven't tried to fully load a mag yet, but what I was concerned about was not being able to close the slide on an empty mag. I experimented, and see that as long as the mag is loaded it will allow the slide to move forward to load a round. Maybe some sort of prevention for people who slam the slide on an empty mag. Also this only occured with the mags that came with the gun. The other mags I purchased, slide into the frame easier, and I can close the slide on an empty mag. I think that it is mostly due to the mags that came with it having taller followers than the mags I bought.

8. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

Yeah, note that the newer factory mag has a taller follower, as well as a slightly different body design than the older design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Pity410

Pity410

I too just bought a brand new G30SF. It is also harder to break down than my Gen4 G17. From what I can tell the dual recoil spring is coming unseated a little more than the G17 does and in doing this it catches on the frame and makes it harder to break down. I have been told that this is common on the G30. As far as your magazine concerns, one of my mags was definitely tighter than the other and hard to load the full 10 rounds. Once you get that tenth round in it is then hard to get the magazine to push in all the way. Once it is in, it is also a little harder to rack the slide. I loaded both magazines full and let them sit for a few days. When I went to the range today, I could not tell which magazine was which as both of them now load and insert just fine. Btw, both of the the magazines that came with my gun are like the ones you have pictured on the left.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Isn't that the way it's SUPPOSED to work? Slide stays open if empty mag in there? Are you being serious ?

11. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

You didn't read. I cannot RELEASE the slide on an empty mag, which you should be able to do (works this way with every other handgun I own, and the older style follower for this one). The slide locks back on the empty mag, and pressing down on the lever won't let you release the slide, nor will pulling back on the slide, and the slide release at the same time. The slide will only release when there is no mag in the gun.

I have figured out that it is definitely the newer style follower. I disassembled the mag and put it in the magwell. Pulled the slide back, pushed up the lever to lock it, then lowered the lever/pulled back on slide and I was able to release it as normal.

12. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

This is true on mine, and I only got it today, but I noticed scratches where it contacts the underside of the barrel.

13. DFin

DFin

I have found that with most autoloading pistols it is difficult to close the slide on an unloaded mag. The slide has to pass over the follower. Load a round or snap cap in the mag and the slide closes easily.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Sounds like normal ops to me,......unless I'm missing something.

15. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

No, its not normal. If it was normal, why would I be able to close the slide on an empty mag on every other semi auto pistol? It even works like that with this gun with the older style follower, so I have figured out that it's the new follower Glock is using. The new follower sits higher than the older style, leaving no room for the slide release to be de-pressed.

16. locosteelersfan

locosteelersfan

you do know thats a slide stop, not a slide release. At any rate, if the mag is empty and it isn't releasing, that doesn't make sense. Its not very complicated, the follower pushes the stop up so it engages. Your not getting enough torgue to push down the follower. Can you push the follower down with your finger, does it go smooth.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Then send it back to Glock,.....I'm telling you, it's NORMAL!
    Unless you use two thumbs on the slide stop lever, with those mags, you will never drop the slide.

Also,....it's normally not a good thing to drop a slide on an empty chamber.
    Debatable, but causes undue battering.

18. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

well.. since you decided to yell... lol

Everyone said my 30SF with the newest TB was "normal" I sent it back to Glock and got a new gun...so clearly it wasnt "normal"

The G30SFs have a higher problem rate than the other Glocks. Its a shame really because its such a nice shooting .45... when it works.

19. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The follower of the empty magazine pushes the slide stop lever up into it's cut-out in the slide to lock the slide back. To release the slide, do as you said or take the magazine out, pull the slide to the rear then release it forward.

That's normal, that how the slide locks back on the last round.

As to the differences in the magazines, Glock has changed their magazine and follower design quite a few times for each caliber. There's nothing wrong with the old designs so as long as your magazines function correctly in your gun there's nothing to worry about.

Edit: Oh - so you can't release the slide by pushing the slide stop. Push the slide stop down harder, the magazine springs in Glocks are quite stiff and the slide stop is pushing against the magazine springs.

The new magazine also has a new magazine spring, which is much stronger than the spring in your used magazine. Push the slide stop down harder.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  20. Dookeyface

Dookeyface

The gun itself is fine, it's the new mag, and the way they're designed. It is only occuring with the latest mag that Glock's packing with the gun. Here is a vid (no sound) dropping the slide with the lever freely, and easing the slide closed on various pistols. Note that it works on empty mags in the USP 9mm, Glock 22, and then the Glock 30SF with the older style mag. I show that it does not work dropping the slide freely, nor easing the slide closed on the newer style mag.

Slides

What I find flawed in the gun is the trigger bar, with the bump. It is making the slide harder to slide, but I can fix that easily by installing a new trigger system. I am going to call Glock and advise them that the bar is making it difficult to break down the pistol, and will putting in the older style G30 flat bar cause any damage. This new bumpy bar is being fitted in all new Glocks, especially Gen 4's.