Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Help: Pelican Rifle Case to Keep Youngins Out?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ViennaGambit, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009
    Having a baby in less than a month and I need to get my **** together with regards to keeping my AR15 and 870 locked up... I know I still have a few years, but my wife is concerned and I know what battles to pick and choose, so I need to buy something in the next few weeks. Ho Hum.

I need a good solution to lock up my guns from kids, not burglars.

Here are the details:

I only have 2 long guns in the house and it will most likely stay this way for the next few years - AR and shottie. Glocks and other handguns are in a smaller traditional safe and a non-issue. We live in a rental so I am not investing in a $1,000+ safe as I cannot bolt it down and the safe would cost more than my current long gun collection - when we buy a house in the next few years this will absolutely be a different story and the way I will go. I cannot sink a safe into my wall or do any mods to the apartment. I like keeping my guns under the bed. I dont want to buy a trigger lock and keep them up high in my closet.

Thinking of a Pelican 1750 for this purpose...

I like the idea of the Pelican case as its nice and slim to slide under the bed, quick access, easy enough to throw in my car, I can fly with it if needed, easy to lock up to keep kids out and pelicans are f'ng badass. I'm not concernend with theft, but I like that I can hide it pretty easily when we leave for a few days whereas as an upright safe or walmart stack-on cabinet is sort of just --> there <-- in the open. Again, if I am going to drop $200 on a crappy stack-on locker, I might as well get a nice pelican case that can serve a lot of roles.

I know moisture and long term storage is an issue in the Pelican cases with the foam, but I would most likely just keep the 2 guns stored in the case without the foam to avoid this and then just keep the foam handy for transport.

Would this be a stupid idea? What am I missing? What do you recommend? Seems like a good excuse to drop $200 and make both me and my wife happy in the process.

2. bill4282

Jul 9, 2009
    Good idea, especially about removing the foam. Moisture retainer and almost guaranteed rust. I'd put on a padlock and chain to the bed rail. Not completely burglar proof but would slow them down. You could sink a eye bolt into a floor stud and chain to it.

3. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    I have a Plano GunGuard AW that would keep kids out. $150 shipped. Two of the 5 latches lock, but I would still put two additional padlocks on it.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013