close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help Needed Identifying Model of Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by NH Trucker, Nov 24, 2012.

1. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

May 4, 2009
    Concord, NH
    I just picked up a Sako 30-06 private sale for what seemed like a good deal, but for the life of me I can't figure out what model it is. There is no model number or reference on either the barrel or reciever. Just Sako, the serial number, and the caliber. The stock is an aftermarket Ramline.

Your help in this would be much appreciated.

Pics to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A picture of the bolt if it'll help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dunno:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. RGbiker

RGbiker

Oct 12, 2009
    Arizona

3. NH Trucker

May 4, 2009
    Concord, NH
    I looked through every model they listed, including under their old listings, and didn't find anything.

After a couple of hours of research, I THINK it's a Sako High Power Mauser Sporting Rifle, made between 1950 and 1957. Basically the precursor to the early Browning Safari rifles of the 60's.

If anyone has any more information on this rifle, I would appreciate it.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Never seen a Ramline stock as factory on ANY rifle.

Sako's made a lot of guns, it's one I haven't seen but appears to be a Mauser action.

They make excellent rifles, and it probably shoots well.

5. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    That bolt looks virtually identical to the bolt on my 8 MM Mauser. Are there any markings on the receiver?

6. NH Trucker

May 4, 2009
    Concord, NH

I'm pretty sure that a previous owner scrapped the original stock and replaced it with the aftermarket Ramline. Synthetic stocks have their benefits, but on a piece like this I kind of wish it still had the original. If I ever come across an original one for it, I'll pick it up.

There are no markings on the receiver. The only markings on it are on the barrel, where on the left it says Sako and has the serial number, on the right it says Made in Finland, and on the top it says 30-06. The only other marks on the rifle are proof marks.

Everything I've found so far suggests that it's a Sako High Power Mauser Sporting Rifle. Basically, Sako built these off of FN Mauser 98 receivers because they didn't make their own long actions at that time, which was between 1950 and 1957.

I'm still looking for more information (if there is any). Seems it's kind of rare. I haven't found any for sale anywhere with aftermarket stocks on them, so I'm having a difficult time trying to gauge a value for it. With what seems like original stock, I've seen prices range from $500 to $1500. I have no idea which is closer to the real value. With the aftermarket stock, I would assume it would be on the low side.

Either way, I can't wait to take it to the range. I've been in the market for a hunting rifle for a while, and getting this one for $300 with the cheap Bushnell scope seemed like a good bargain.