Glock Talk banner

help me with shotguns

9K views 114 replies 24 participants last post by  kamelot 
#1 ·
sir

I'm planning to buy shotgun, what do you recommend? my budget will be 30k

Twin pines is selling thier mossberg 88 for 28,000 but because they have no 88 model pistolize, so they sell mossberg 500 for the price of the 88. is it a good offer?

whats the deffirence between 88 and the 500?

thanks

#53 ·
Doc: I wasn't able to attend much of the last PAO convention. I only attended Monday and Tuesday afternoon bec. my dad was admitted at Capitol. Anyway, mas magkikita na tayo now that you're a BoG!

Mukhang maraming sasali sa SPD Cup next Tuesday! hahaha! I'll see everybody there! All-steel daw cof?

#55 ·
;F Welcome Kamelot!

Do not worry. Most people here (me included since I have two of those monstrous and awesome implements) have ambivalent love affairs with the shotgun. You'll not be out of place.:)

#56 ·
Thank you, too Django!
When a friend of mine told me once, "When you start with shotguns, there is no turning back.", I took his word with a grain of salt. I was then deep into pistol shooting (with my own share of trophies and medals then (nagyayabang na). But when I went into IPSC shotgun, sporting clays, hunting, and several Trap sessions, I knew I was hooked. So here I am. I hope you guys don't get hooked into shotgun sports, too...kasi marami na kayong tatalo sa akin.:)

EC,
I read what happened to your Dad. My prayers are with you.
I was told by a shooter that it will be a 4 stage (8+8+6+12=34 rds) fundraiser. And yes, I was informed it will be All Steel, daw.

#59 ·
I have a new 28" Mossberg 9200 and an old Browning 11. Both are semi-autos I use for wild duck hunting. Of these 2, I can hit better w/ the Browning. Lately, I patterned the 9200 and discovered it shoot too low for my sight. Do you know of somebody who knows how to fit a shotgun to the shooter?

And, anybody who has experience w/ a Mossberg 9200? Is this a durable SG? I usually consume 4-5 boxes of #4 birdshot a day when hunting (includes a little plinking along the way).

#60 ·
Originally posted by Putok-Glock
Do you know of somebody who knows how to fit a shotgun to the shooter?
Alas, the best in the business locally I know is dead - his name is Pepe Oliveros. He was a hunter first and foremost and was the gunsmith of Jethro Dionisio when he thrilled other shooters in the US Steel Challenge more than a decade ago.

There is another gunsmith who I know fits shotguns for Trap shooters. He is Bert Angeles and his shop is on the street just before the Del Monte Bridge if you are travelling from Roosevelt towards Banawe. I'll look for his address and tel no. and try to get to you ASAP. :)

#65 ·
Antedeluvianist,

I tried a few rounds of #4 birdshot on the hatsan semi-auto. It has good (for me tolerable) recoil with good pointability. The problem though is with reloading. You have to press a button each time you load a round. This could pose a problem during competition. :)

#67 ·
If you're left handed...( just a few suggestions)
1. You might naturally place the SG butt on the pocket of your left shoulder.
a. You can shoot with both eyes open and look at the target like I do...but then I'm right handed and this is the one I prefer.
b. Some folks look at the front sight/bead. If you're cross dominant (R eye dominant), you may use a small tape over the center of your R eyeglass to block the R eye if you look at the front sight/bead. If you close your R eye, then there is no need for the tape since you're sighting with your Left eye.
2. You might try to learn how to mount the gun on the Right side.
a. Again, open both eyes and look at the target.
b. If you are left eye dominant, you may have to apply a small tape on over the center of your left lens if you are looking at your front sight/bead.
3.Pump or semi-auto ---whatever floats your boat is fine ---it's a matter of personal preference. Just go for the SG that can load more rounds in the magazine.I use a semi-auto because its the one I bought at that time. I had an ARMSCOR pump which I sold eventually because I was not happy with it. When I can borrow a house gun at Armscor, I use their pump for competition after i'm done shooting the stages with my semi-auto. I had the chance to use a Remington 870P Pump and that baby is smooth. It's a bit heavy for me though.
4. Use #4,5, or #6 birdshot for IPSC steel stages.
5. You might think of buying a left handed shotgun.
6. For Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays, it's a different ballgame.

;)

#68 ·
Thanks kamelot. :)

My only concern really is if a left handed shooter can operate a right-handed shotgun without any problems. Shooting shouldn't be a problem i guess since i'm left-eye domninant. Loading, safety disengage, reloading, etc. may be a problem though. Haven't seen a left handed shotgun shooter in a competition.

#69 ·
Sir ante,

Im trying to send you a PM but your mailbox is full. Anyway sorry sir I can't buy the shotgun. Medyo tight ako ngayon sa budget. But I discussed the matter with other BOGs. I'll just let them contact you. I think deenoh is willing to buy the shotgun or swap with a .357 revolver if you're interested. Anyway Im sure there are other BOGs who would be interested. Pasensya na po. Thanks anyway for the generous offer. :)

#72 ·
Originally posted by batangueno
Thanks kamelot. :)

My only concern really is if a left handed shooter can operate a right-handed shotgun without any problems. Shooting shouldn't be a problem i guess since i'm left-eye domninant. Loading, safety disengage, reloading, etc. may be a problem though. Haven't seen a left handed shotgun shooter in a competition.
Batangueno,

I once knew of a left handed, left eye dominant shooter who shot on his right side. He uses his left hand to reload his Remington 870P Pump and his right hand to disengage the safety. His first shot, starting with the buttstock on the hip, is about 0.6 sec and he was about 60+ yrs old then.:) Hope this helps.

#75 ·
Originally posted by Ersatz0906
sir

I'm planning to buy shotgun, what do you recommend? my budget will be 30k

Twin pines is selling thier mossberg 88 for 28,000 but because they have no 88 model pistolize, so they sell mossberg 500 for the price of the 88. is it a good offer?

whats the deffirence between 88 and the 500?

thanks
I have these shotguns and these are MHO about them:

Mossberg Persuader - cheap, reliable, plastic triggerguard and safety button

Benelli M1S90 - light and fast. But lightweight = recoil = pain.

Remington 870 - Ultra reliable and has so many aftermarket accessories.

Remington 1187 - has pressure-compensating gas system and fore end weight that helps with the recoil. Such system do need to be cleaned every so often.

Bottomline: best shotgun for the money is the 870. Do need to practice a lot to avoid short cycling in high stress situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.