Glock Talk banner

help me with shotguns

9K views 114 replies 24 participants last post by  kamelot 
#1 ·
sir

I'm planning to buy shotgun, what do you recommend? my budget will be 30k

Twin pines is selling thier mossberg 88 for 28,000 but because they have no 88 model pistolize, so they sell mossberg 500 for the price of the 88. is it a good offer?

whats the deffirence between 88 and the 500?

thanks

#2 ·
88 is actually a Maverick which is cheaper than Mossberg 500. The difference I believe is the placement of safety button. The Mossy is on the tang while the Maverick is on the trigger guard. You can't go wrong on both but the 88 should sell lower. Being in the Philippines, you can't argue with the store about the price. Have you considered buying Armscor shotties? I just had a bad experience with Armscor rep here in US that's way I was swayed with my decision and bought a Mossy 500 instead.

Darn, with that price I could buy 2 Mossbergs, with extra barrels pa.

Goodluck with your choice.

vega

#3 ·
Thank you sir vega, how much did you get for the mossy 500? about the armscore shotgun no I didnt ask about it. but there is a new shotgun imported in phil. I forgot the name but its also cheap cost only for 16,000php made in turkey.

I emailed mossberg and ask them the difference,
The difference between the 500A and the Maverick 88 is the receiver and the trigger mechanism. The 500 has the safety on top of the receiver and the maverick 88 has a safety cross bolt located in the trigger housing (like sir vega said). The rest of the parts are interchangeable like the stock, Forearm, barrels and other parts. But the salelaady said the steel used on 500 is more durable than the 88 but I doubt that.

here I only saw 2 model for the 500 the persuader cost 28,000 which has wood stock and forearm, and the other model 500 has a synthetic stock and forearm cost 35,000.

but forgot to ask twinpines which one will they give me the wood or the synthetic for the price of the 88, if the wood then there will be no good offer because basically they are in the same price level.

#4 ·
Maverick and Mossbergs are manufactured by Mossberg. They use the same barrels. The saleslady doesn't know anything about it so she'll say whatever comes to mind. Take a closer look at the barrel of the Maverick, I think it will say Mossberg, I said I think. Ask the saleslady kung anong alloy ang receiver, pustahan tayo sasabihin bakal. It's made of alluminum.

My 500 was $229.99 + $25 DROS + $16.17 tax = $271.16 = PHP14,913.80 and it came with 18.5" and 26" barrels.

Turkey shotguns are also good but I'd rather get Armscor. BTW, you can't put longer barrel on the Persuader. I think it comes with 18.5 lenght barrel. The wood and synthetic stocks have the same price here. It's just an option.

GO ARMSCOR!

vega

#9 ·
Originally posted by vega
I don't think you'll have any luck with a Lupara in PI, err I mean RP.;)

vega
Pards I already asked deenoh about this possibility. He said he would be willing to help. He said he'll see what he can do. But I will have to wait for their next ordering of guns:cool: Mas maganda siguro kung may iba pang interesado.;f ;f

By the way would Perlas ng Silangan be a politically correct term?:)

#12 ·
friends of mine in the philippines bought the "Hadsan" shotguns, tama ba spelling?
anyway, it was cheaper than the usual mossbergs, HK Fabarms, benelli, can be bought for only 17k last gunshow. Im not sure regarding its performance though.
Hadsan shotguns are semi-autos..
me, i'd prefer to buy an HK Fabarms or a pump action benelli.

#14 ·
Originally posted by theTactician
friends of mine in the philippines bought the "Hadsan" shotguns, tama ba spelling?
anyway, it was cheaper than the usual mossbergs, HK Fabarms, benelli, can be bought for only 17k last gunshow. Im not sure regarding its performance though.
Hadsan shotguns are semi-autos..
me, i'd prefer to buy an HK Fabarms or a pump action benelli.
ya thats the one "hadsan" (I think). its made in turky. its cheap but dont know if its reliable.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Ersatz0906
ya thats the one "hadsan" (I think). its made in turky. its cheap but dont know if its reliable.
Hatsan. Made in Turkey and available at Hahn and PB. Very reasonably priced but "new kid on the block" and no track record yet in the Phil.

IIRC, there was a two gun shoot last summer and the house gun on loan to the shooters for the shotgun event was a Hatsan, both in the semi-auto and pump action. Some minor hiccups during the competition but nothing serious. Performance was ho-hum and nothing to write home about.

#18 ·
Remington 870 is top dog in the shotgun arena. Built to last. Mine (Police wingmaster) I inherited from my dad is over thirty years old, still chewed out the two boxes of Armscor 00 buck like peanuts when I test fired it several months ago. Smooth as silk and fantastic trigger. Steel receiver with that very handsome oakwood stock. Original is 4+1, but I was able to buy a mag tube extender from PBD to make it 6+1.

Saw one last gunshow at Magnificent World for 28,000 wood stock. Sometimes PBD carries them, parkerized version.

Turkish shotguns from Sarsilmaz, Karatay, Hatsan only have aluminum receivers, hence the cheap price. Pang harabas ba, but I doubt if they'd retain significant resale value once you decide to get rid of them.

Mav 88's I've read are made in Mexico and have only the most basic parts to allow it to function, hence the cheap price. The 500/590 series are the better ones.

If you want cheap, I believe Norinco has a clone of the 870. Interchangeable pa yata ang parts. Check it out

#19 ·
sir

Have you tried visiting P.B.Dionsio's Year End Bang Sale? They are the distributors of Turkish made Akkar shotguns and also market Turkish made Hatsan shotguns of Hahn-Manila. Price range of these Turk pump-actions are P10+th to P14+th, semi-autos cost P17+th going up.

#20 ·
sir

it depends on what the shotgun is for:)

for basic home defense, the karatay by akkar will do. its a turkish version of the rem 870 pump gun. its cheap, with parts available at pb. or if you like all steel gun you can go armscor:) the benelli nova is also a nice gun, if your comfartable with the stock length. think of it as a glock shotgun. made mostly of polymer, hence less maintenance. if you can, try handling the guns first to get the feel. better yet, if you can ask friends who are into shtoguns to let you pop off a few rounds:)

#21 ·
Originally posted by darwin25
Hi sir,

either this one

or this one. But this one's more likely for the home

;f

hehe yan ginamit ni mad max for vehicle defense

#23 ·
Go here (website below) to learn more than you really want to know about shotguns (hit the links: the types of shotshells available is a whole universe of data and tactics in itself). I have plenty of other shotgun links if you want them, just reply in this thread - others may also want to have the shotgun websites.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

I bought Paltog's Mossberg Maverick 88 earlier this year. It was almost brand new, hardly fired. And I haven't fired it much as I don't have much time. A BOG wants to buy it in January and he has the first crack at it.

The posters on the "shotgunworld" site above say the difference between the Maverick and the Mossie 500/590 is the placement of the safety - on the crossbolt in the Maverick, on the tang in the 500/590. Some people like one style, others the other. Mossberg barrels fit on both.

My Maverick has a synthetic stock and that is easier on the shoulder than wood.

I have held the Turkish Hatsan - feels very light (aluminum and plastic). I'm sure it works OK but as they said above no track record ; probably OK if you don't shoot it much.

Anyway what do YOU want the shotgun for? If for home defense, probably any shotgun will do. It's the shotshell that does the work, the shotgun is basically a tube. At home defense distances even birdshot can be lethal to an intruder. 00 buckshot is macho but overkill indoors ; #4 shot is around where reason lies. Look at the tables for shot sizes.

#24 ·
Originally posted by New_comer

If you want cheap, I believe Norinco has a clone of the 870. Interchangeable pa yata ang parts. Check it out
Top of the heap in it's league actually. Low price, all steel, robust construction with a no nonsense finish and profile. Would replace the pistol grip if I have one though.

#25 ·
My purpose is for home defense only. my dad has a standard shotgun Dont know the brand but Im sure its US made, 40 to 50 yrs old I think and I havnt seen it for almost 8yrs. kasi nandoon sa katulong namin sa Farm, I dont know if he take care of it.

Can I restore it? will it be cost effective to restore it? and be still reliable? or should buy new cheap one?

#26 ·
What is it's current condition? Can it still be restored? Shotguns, especially those manufactured in the '50's and '60's had the reputation for standing up to a lot of abuse. Check out its conditin first before buying a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.