Help me with ideas for new purchase!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Johan Beer, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Johan Beer

Johan Beer
    Expand Collapse

I've got about $1,300 saved up for a new gun, but I can't decide what I want to get.

Guns are all for home protection and shooting at a range that allows pistols and rimfire rifles only.

I'm thinking of perhaps a rifle in .17hmr or a high cap 9mm, but nothing is set in stone.

Any ideas?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Johan Beer, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

The rifle makes sense. I have a CZ in .17HMR, crazy accurate and lots of fun at the range.

3. ojabog

ojabog
    Expand Collapse

Sig P226 or 229 Elite. The CZ SP 01 Shadow is really nice too.

4. ctfireman

ctfireman
    Expand Collapse

It would be cool as hell to own a HK P7.

5. -gunut-

-gunut-
    Expand Collapse

I'd go with a quality 1911.

6. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Zombie Hunter

92fs and a C75B and buy a little extra ammo.

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

M1 Garand or M1A or an AR15.

8. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

I say if you don't know what you want, then for the sake of being logical put your money up until something strikes your fancy enough to get it.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Shopping carefully your $1300 could be easily stretched for a Model 17 and a Model 10, although maybe not both new. Over the years I have managed to luck into a used Model 17, used Model 617 (six shot) and a very used pre Model 18 - all have been wonderful without problems. Maybe I have just been lucky. That said I might go for a new Model 17 for ~800 and then go for a used Model 10 or 15 or 65.

I might also consider the Model 17 and then save a bit more and get a 1911, maybe a Ruger or a Remington.

But the Model 17 or maybe a 617 would be very high or at the top of my list both for the fun and also for the more economical shooting.

10. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't criticize your selection, however he says his range won't allow centerfire rifles. That is unfortunate, a shooting life w/o centerfire rifles is a very restricted one. Don

11. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

Missed that part. Then I'll say look at pistol caliber carbines like the sub 2000 or a ruge PC series.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I would take that money and invest it in the safety/protection of myself and my family. Ownership is just the start. Being proficient with your firearms is a responsability. Spend that money on formal training.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

This:

I remember how much I loved shooting pistols....then I bought an AR.

There was a dramatic difference in the perception of firearms for me after getting it. Pistols had me thinking 7 yards and multiple hits to stop a BG. And limiting fun at the range to short ranges.

Rifles are a disciplen unto themselves. From the base rifle itself, to learning to shoot it, to optics, lights and other aweseome accessories....ARs are a world different from pistols. There's just so much more interesting things to learn, do and use with them.

I too missed that.

This is why it's really frustrating when folks are too paranoid to post where they live. I find it very doubtful that the OP can't find another range close by where he can shoot center-fire rifles, but it's impossible to know for certain.

Of course, if we knew where the OP lived......

#13 M&P15T, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. Johan Beer

Johan Beer
    Expand Collapse

There are plenty of ranges around, but they are all private with a 6-12 month wait. In addition they all have work requirements of 25-30 hours per year. I would love to be able to jump into rifles, but I'm not ready to deal with the private ranges.

At the range I go to I can shoot any caliber in a pistol, and only rimfire in a rifle. I was thinking a single shot pistol in .308 or some other large rifle caliber might be fun.

15. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

I can almost guarantee you that there are ranges you can join that have no waiting periods, no work requirements, that would allow you to shoot anything you want, when you want, how you want (within reason).

You need to check Google, there is an internet site that lists ranges all over the US, and gives basic information on them. Then you get to make some calls to sort them out.

They're everywhere in most states, ya just gotta look for them.

I would have even helped you out more, but your continued insistance at keeping your paranoia level so high you refuse to share what area you live in, stopped me from being able to do so.

#15 M&P15T, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  16. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

It would probably be better to list what you already have. You may or may not be missing something useful or you may have everything you could want and should spend the money on ammo and practice. You mention a high cap 9mm and if you don't have a handgun in that easily obtained and cheap caliber already, I'd go for that.