Help Me Pick A Snubby

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by GreyEclipse, Mar 29, 2010.

1. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Caliber-.38+P
    Hammer-Enclosed Hammer
    Finish/Color-Blued or Stainless
    Frame/Weight-Scandium or Titanium

Can anybody give me some pictures or models with these specifications?
    I'm leaning toward the new Ruger LCR, everyone seems to love em! :cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Help me pick a CUV! The Okie Corral Aug 10, 2015
    Help picking out TROY folding irons for AR15 pistol Black Rifle Forum Apr 19, 2015
    Help me pick a 1911 for on duty 1911 Forums Apr 1, 2015
    Help me pick a watch The Okie Corral Mar 30, 2015
    Need some help picking out a safe General Firearms Forum Mar 9, 2015

3. S&W 642 or 442. An American classic.

4. Can anybody give me some pictures or models with these specifications?
    I'm leaning toward the new Ruger LCR, everyone seems to love em! :cool:[/QUOTE]

5. I've got a 638 can't beat it

6. How to send pictures I'm new

7. Hi,

I love the 442 as well:

[​IMG]

Good luck,

Alan

8. First get the picture onto your computer, then upload it to a image hosting site. Then copy the link and paste it into your reply. That's how I do it anyway. Send me a pm if you're having trouble.

9. S&W 638, the best of both worlds, single and double action. Great and accurate gun.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Another vote for the Centennial or Bodyguard airweights;

Plenty light enough, alloy/steel, 15oz.

11. Thanks for the intel I really apperciate it I'm trying to do it now

12. Chup

The Five Shooters are my favorite. S&W 37 and 442 38+P. In 357 I have Taurus 605 and 650. Ruger SP101. And my big Snuby is a Taurus 617. Seven rounds of 357. I rotate them all as Carry Guns, Two at a time.

13. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I have never shot a Ruger LCR YET??
    The S&W J frame Airweight is the yard stick that "All Other" Snubbys are measured against
    The Models 642-1 & 442-1 are J frame +P that have " No Internal Lock"

14. AZ_Quailhunter

AZ_Quailhunter NRA Life Member

Never met a J-Frame I didn't like. 642 sounds good to me.

15. The S&W 642, 637, 638 or 442 are all terrific guns priced in the $424 to $450 bracket. However if you want an extremely smooth operating piece that will last a lifetime and you can pass on to your heirs at a cost of around $350, search your gun shops, pawn shops and online gun forums for one of these: My 40 year old, 20 ounce, Mod 36
    [​IMG]

#15 Gunmeister, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  16. All the above posts provide good advice and you (OP) have a good reason to get one.

Your first determination should be whether you want to shoot 357 Magnum or 38 Spl. If your answer rules out firing or carrying 357 Magnum you're still not done. A few ounces of weight for CCW do matter, and the scandium frame titanium cylinder will win over the others in this regard. Personally, I care and feel the difference between 11.4 ounces and 15 ounces when I carry in my ankle. So my take is the 340 PD. Another great choice is the M&P 340, slighly heavier at 13+ ounces and still a 357. And then again if you want to save some bucks and don't care about weight or 357 the other models that the other posters have suggested are just as tough and beautiful.

17. It's no secret to any of us--to be efficient with a 2" snubby you have to practice, practice and practice some more.
    The ultra-lights are great to carry but can become a genuine bear to shoot. An ounce or two (or more) makes a lot of difference when it comes to practice shooting and can be a major factor in the amount of practice shooting that you actually do.
    I once owned an 11.5 ounce S&W 340PD, the recoil was brutal, it was punishment to fire any .357MAG loads, much like getting smacked between your thumb and index finger with a baseball bat and not much better firing .38SPL +P. I sold it because I could not get proficient with it. It was great in my pocket but didn't work for me as a SD piece.
    My advise to anyone considering a snubby is to shoot as many different types as you can find to help you decide. What might be a easy for one person could be impossible for another.
    Remember that a concealed weapon may not always be comfortable but they are comforting. Weight is an important factor but please don't let it be the only consideration.

18. Circumstances (job in a gun-free zone) dictate that I carry only occasionally, but when I do, I pocket-holster carry a 442. As an alloy I find it a good weight compromise between a scandium/titanium and an all-steel. As has been said above, frequent practice is crucial. And since that is the case, I shoot standard pressure ammo because I am more accurate and have better control. I currently carry the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure and practice with economy range fodder of like pressure. So I say go with the 442 or 642, and shop around for price. I have seen a wide price range within my state (SC). But I have nothing against the Ruger LCR, either.

19. LCR

Softest shooting snub with a great trigger out of the box that only gets smoother!

Lately my EDC has gone from a G26 to 2 LCR's. one is a .38 and the other a .357

I shoot the LCR MUCH better than a j-frame.

ymmv

-Drew

20. BWT

BWT

I've owned several J frames and I have to say that the LCR trigger is so much better than the Smith. You of course can make the J frame better, but that cost extra money.