close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me pick a 1911 in my budget

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by frogger42, Jan 9, 2011.

1. frogger42

frogger42 Don't Panic!!

Jan 7, 2005
    NC, USA
    Over the years, quite a few 1911's have passed through my collection, but all have been traded or sold for one reason or another. The last one... a Dan Wesson CBOB I liked VERY much, but I got laid off from work and had to sell it to pay bills. The work situation is fine again and I've replaced all the guns I had to sell during the unemployment period except the CBOB. Since the CBOB is no longer made (other than for CA) I am a bit lost on what to buy. Here are my criteria...

1. Street price of $1000 (I can be a little flexible on this, but the higher I go the less likely I am to make it to the mark before something else tempts me and I spend what I've saved and have to keep starting over).

2. All stainless steel (I want this because down the road I may want to customize it and having no finish seems to simplify things for certain modifications... like checkering for example).

3. Forged, stainless steel frame.

4. Either a 5" or 4.25" slide and barrel.

5. No ambi safety or FLGR (not a deal breaker, but if it had those features it would be the first thing I had changed).

6. Little or no MIM.

7. Series 70 style trigger system.

The purpose of this gun will be range fun, occasional IDPA matches and possibly a project gun to do a full custom build down the road. Also, I just though it would be fun to buy a 1911 in 2011 during the 100 year anniversary. Right now, my main contenders are a Dan Wesson RZ-45 Heritage or a Colt Series 70 Reproduction. I'm leaning toward the Dan Wesson since it is more shootable out of the box and I'm not really sure if I will ever take the next step to have it turned into a custom, but it seems like the Colt would be more fun as a the base gun for a project. The Colt also seems more appropriate for a gun I'm buying to mark the 100 year anniversary.

Other guns are my radar are a Series 1 Kimber, Springfield Loaded or a Springfield Mil-Spec but all have a lot of MIM.

What suggestions to do guys (and gals) have on this?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. IANative

IANative

Oct 9, 2006
    Midwest
    In the DW or the Colt 70, you've already arrived at what my suggestion would be.

3. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Apr 17, 2005
    Texas
  4. frogger42

frogger42 Don't Panic!!

Jan 7, 2005
    NC, USA
    Certainly an option if I can find one priced right, but I bought my last CBOB just before a big price increase and only paid $850 NIB. In today's market, it is hard to find a used one for under $1000. For that price, I can get very close to the Heritage which has a forged frame instead of the cast frame of the CBOB.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I agree, you want a used CBOB.

I like carbon steel 1911s much better than stainless, to be honest.

6. SwampRat12

SwampRat12

Oct 26, 2010
    Brevard County
    Being a big Kimber fan, I would recommend that direction, but I know what's like reasoning with Colt people! Doesn't sound like you can go wrong - diddo last post.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    I'm a stainless original series Kimber fan. Easily in your price range. On the other hand, I just picked up a stainless Colt Delta Elite like new for $700. Series 80 though. She's up in Chuck Rogers' capable hands right now.

8. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
  9. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I handled a few ATIs today at a show and they were nice guns for the $400ish asking price.

10. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    In your price range you can easily find American made forged guns.

11. stukibuilt

stukibuilt

Jul 31, 2006
    Florida
    Maybe find a used NM Springfield milspec and send it out for a basic de-mim with parts you like? If it isn't for self defense, I would just shoot it and collect the parts you like and choose a gunsmith you would like to work with. I know you said you would like work done at some point, but it doesn't mean it can't be done in increments... Would i love to just throw a credit card or check down and take care of it all at once? Sure, it would save me a lot of spent time researching and lusting over parts, but that's half the fun!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  12. IMHO the best bang for the buck (yeah, yeah pun intended) is a Taurus PT1911. I picked one up for less than $500.00, added FO sights for about 90 bucks, and with the left over in your 1K budget, you could buy quite a bit of ammo, Wilson 8 rounders, etc.

If you are looking for a CC 1911, then I'd go with a SA. I handled a SA EMP in .40 and it was SWEET!!!!

If you are wanting a fullsize carry piece, then keep your eyes open for something from the Kimber custom shop on here. I have seen a Pro Stainless II on here for $750.00. I shoulda bought it.....

But for all around plinkin', paper punchin', and still carries really well, the Taurus works exceptionally well, and won't suck out your wallet too bad.

13. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Apr 17, 2005
    Texas
    Better get the flame suit on. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  14. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Is this a serious post? :dunno:

15. Quack