close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me make a choice TLR-2 or Glock GTL-22

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by tashko23, Mar 1, 2008.

1. tashko23

tashko23

Feb 6, 2008
    What Tactical light Should I Buy TLR-2 or Glock GTL-22 .

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas

3. Dingo's G-22

Dingo's G-22

Feb 25, 2008
    Streamlight TLR2 Laser Sight Rail Mounted Tactical Light/Laser are powerful, intensely bright, long-running, aluminum-bodied gunmount Streamligt lights, which set a whole new standard for durability. Streamlight TLR2 Gun Mounted Light offers same great features of Streamlight TLR-1 with an integrated laser sight for accurate aiming. Streamlight TLR-2 LED / Laser Glock Tactical Lights are shockproof, dustproof, and virtually indestructible. The 3-watt Luxeon LED of Streamlight TLR-2 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light / Laser Combo won’t break or burn out!
    No Excuses" limited lifetime warranty
    LED Rating - 80 Lumens typical

4. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    The only bad thing I'll say about the glock light is it is very hard to find a holster that will fit it while it's on the gun.

5. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005
    For all the reasons mentioned.

. LED-Based Illumination--Rated At Thousands Of Hours Of Use!

. Quality Of Housing/Casing/Optics!

. Holstering Issues!

Ultimately, bulbs can still be the brightest. But they're 7% efficient (making mostly heat) and are rated for tens of hours of use. They are sensitive to heat and shock.

LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are solid-state semiconductors that convert electrons to light at something like 40% efficiency. They're far less affected by heat and virtually impervious to shock. While not absolutely the brightest, they're plenty bright for tactical operations.

--Ray

6. AJSully421

AJSully421 Armed Citizen

Apr 19, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    i have the glock light / laser, light, and two tlr-1's. The glock light/laser is great for critters at the ranch, but it has neglected to work properly enough that i don't trust it enough to rely on it.

The switch at the bottom that selects between light, laser, both, or off often gets messed with, and screws me up when i need it. the TLR might not suffer from this. also, when there is not enough charge to "start up" the bulb, the laser still works, but with no light, have fun. The TLR-2 has a LED which will continue to burn, but just slowly get dim, and the laser will still work. also, once the bulb went out on the glock light right as i was popping off a raccoon, and he got away before i could engage my back up surefire led handheld... i was mad.

The TLR-2 is not water proof, no matter what anyone says. the TLR-1 is, and both glock lights are... so if you might get the thing wet, you might take this into account.

The TLR-2 is great for what it does, but it is far from perfect for what we need. I'm looking into the laser grip and surefire x300 for my 21, but that is $$$.

7. vqv123

vqv123

Apr 7, 2008
    will the the aluminum housing get burned, as you continue to shoot alot?

8. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I have a TLR and it is great. The Glock light looks like a big turd hanging from your gun IMO.

9. benfur

benfur

May 7, 2008
    To me the TLR-2 just looks better then the Gtl-22 its only a light

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    ??
    The GTL-22 is a laser with a light combo.
    It also has a setting that allows adjustability of brightness of the light.
    From very dim to full bright setting. Do that with a TRL-2.

11. vqv123

vqv123

Apr 7, 2008
    will the tlr or gtl get burned/melt, or fogged up after continuous shooting?

12. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    The glock light will get carbon buildup on the lens, or at least it does on my G22. It can get hot but I don't know if hot enough to melt.

13. tjf76

tjf76 CLM

Mar 16, 2004
    Western Montana
    I have a Streamlight TLR2 and would not trade it for anything.

14. rescueswimmer

rescueswimmer

May 18, 2008
    I have the Insight Tech m6x, Insight and Streamlight were parnters but now have gone on their own. The Insight is made of plastic and the Streamlight is aluminum. They both are top notch.

15. john in jax

john in jax

Jul 3, 2007
    NE FL
    I noticed the Streamlight TLR-2 (and I think Insight M6) has a screw-down attachment that looks like it would do a better job of holding the laser on zero than the little clip on most lasers. Is this so, or am I mistaken?

16. Gripto

Gripto

May 21, 2008
    I think the weight should be an additional point for the right solution. The TLR-2 weights 134g (4.72oz) and the GTL22 92g(3.25oz). So the TLR-2 is almost 50% heavier than the GTL22.

17. rescueswimmer

rescueswimmer

May 18, 2008

my 6x has the quick lock. Just a bar that is spring loaded. The 6xGBR has screws and so does the TLR's I think the ease of on and off is pretty nice with the quick disconnect but depends on what scenario, you are going to use your light