Help me like my 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by fuzzy03cls, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I would sell it and buy another gun or maybe stock up on ammo and magazines. Not liking the 1911 doesn't make you a bad person. Get what you like and don't look back.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I'm glad to hear that you are warming up to your pistol a little more. I carry Glocks but I love 1911s, too. Get a trigger job and you'll be in business with a fun range gun.

3. Awesome glad you are finding your natch for it. I think it is going to grow on you more and more. They are great firearms so stick with it

4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Cool factor.

Nothing says "You're just a punk and I'm not even going to waste ammo on you!" quite like smacking them upside the head with a loaded gun.

:cool:

5. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

You don't have to like it just because people say its a good gun. Get rid of it for something you do like.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Sell it to me and buy another Glock

7. :hugs::hugs::hugs: Okie, I still enjoy the hell out of most of your posts.

8. I read as far as Okie's post and that was my exact thought too! I've been looking for a used GI or mil-spec.:rofl:

9. I have a GI and love it. :)

10. I brought two guns to the range today!

A brand new never fired (except factory, if they do) TRP operator and a G27 Baby Glock. The Glock is my carry gun gun for the last 4 years.

I shot the Glock much better than the TRP! I will get used to the 1911 though!

11. Man. Not liking the 1911 is like not liking pizza. It just doesn't seem right. I have some awsome handguns, but shooting the 1911 is still the best. Its just wierd. Ive "steered" a lot of people towords the 1911, and everyone loves it. Its rare to find someone who doesn't appriciate shooting a 1911.

12. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

I recently relieved myself of a Colt Commander safe queen. When I bought it (used) I had a bunch of much-needed work done to it, but even then I just never fell in love with it.

It was my second attempt at convincing myself that the 1911 was for me, so I'm 0 for 2 with the platform (first time was a Kimber TLE II).

I've never been much of a collector (of guns or anything else), so if I don't shoot them, away they go.

Not saying I'll never own another 1911 or that I don't hold them in high regard (100+ years and still going strong? something's right about it), but I've realized these things just can't be forced. If it isn't for you, then so be it.

13. The difference between a glock and a 1911 is like the difference between a Honda and a Harley.

One just gets fed and lubed once a year and used anywhere anytime, the other requires lots of maintenance, cleaning, lube and attention but is highly customizable, beautiful, and occasionally you can use it as long as conditions are perfect.

Most people have room for both but not all can. To each his own.

14. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

The more you shoot it,the more you're gonna love.

15. One of the best things about the 1911 is the aftermarket and amount of expertise available to help you. A base model can be a good beginner gun as long as you accept the fact you will need to customize it.
    The first 1911 I owned, I took to the range and put a lot of rounds through it. I figured out what I liked least, and modified it slowly. I ended up with all of the common mods at the time, but by doing it slowly, and testing the 1911, I had a much better appreciation for what each mod did.

Accept the fact your 1911 is far from perfect as you bought it. Take your time with the mods. Everyone has an opinion of what works best. Sending your 1911 to Springfield for mods is a good start. Sights, trigger, grips, etc. can all be improved, and in the end you can make your 1911 exactly the way you want it.

16. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Thats the most BS I have seen in a single post in a while.:faint:

17. It seems that fuzzy03cls collection would be incomplete without the fabled 1911 and he is grudgingly going to keep it, despite disenchantment with it's unique characteristics. To help with this dilemma he asks a bunch of gun nuts, including myself, to sort out the issue. Good luck with that.:wow:

I like reading a post like this that reveals the varied nature of gun owners and their preferences. The emotional attachments are often as important as the physical qualities of the firearm.

18. The 1911 is easily customized to your liking, but you have to know what you're doing to fit some parts. Much of the 1911 is not drop in, but you'll find some can be like grips, some mainspring housings, etc. I like the G.I. look but I get hammer bite with every type out there so it's a beavertail only for me. IMO, they also feel better during recoil with the wider tail and allow a higher hold. I would look into that next.

I also like an extended thumb safety simply because I ride it with my thumb using a thumbs forward grip. This allows the highest hold possible and is a way to easily get used to flicking off the safety.

#78 Nakanokalronin, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  19. fuzzy, I know you wrote this back in September
    Wonder if you've ever stretched it out to a 100yds yet? Hitting steel at that distance is fun once you learn your holdover. BANG (pause) Bing.

Also glad you didn't get rid of your 45 auto. I do find it interesting that those who begin their shooting with Glocks (or any other platform), do at least tend to try out the old JMB design and yes, they might have reason to grumble.

Conversely, older shoooters who began shooting with a 1911 or wheelgun and bought one of Gastons designs also have to deal with trigger feel/release, looks, etc, which of course can and have lead to a few grumbles every now and then. :supergrin:

Glad you're on target at 50yds with that bad boy. Easy to fall in love with the design once you get used to it and it works as it should. The trigger action alone, short, smooth, straight back, snick... makes it worthwhile to me.

20. bought my first Glock in 1993 for USPSA competition - a G21. I shot it well and it performed admirably. I saw all the race guns around me and felt compelled to buy a Colt 1911 to build into a competition gun. $1000+ later, I was shooting it no better than my G21 and sold it to fund another project. Went Glock only since 2004.

Enter my Sig Sauer 1911 that arrived at the LGS last week. Cleaned it Friday night and shot it yesterday and today.

Having a well made and well tuned 1911 makes a difference. That Sig delivers about the same recoil as my G17 or less, and it's twice as accurate. Already planning the purchase of my next 1911...