close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me decide: Christmas purchase

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by LSUAdman, Oct 8, 2012.

1. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    i don't think it is ever going to get "cheaper" to buy a lever action .357 (forget the "Mare's leg) IMO correctly fed and used it is not the worst HD gun by a long shot (pardon the pun) and it leaves the door open for a good .357 handgun like the Ruger.

If it were me, and I was given $1,000 and your list, I would find a nice "Pre-crossbolt" Marlin carbine, (or get a Crossbolt if you must and the kit to neuter it, but get a "pre Remlin"),and put the change back for a .357 revolver.

ETA: Get the Express receiver sight set for the carbine.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

Jun 15, 2012
    in flagrante

What's behind door #3 sounds good to me. I don't think I'd do the Mare's Leg just because I'd rather have an SBR lever gun! No can do where I live so I think it'd be a hoot to have a lever gun with a 16.5 bbl. I've never owned one either. I think a lever gun is actually more practical than I'd like to admit. You know, revolver calibers, a cinch to reload ammo for, light weight and easy to handle, doesn't look like one of those 'evil' black rifles, could be used for CAS etc., etc. I think I'd add a can to the end of mine as well. There. Maybe not practical but a barrel of fun.

Enjoy Christmas!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

3. There is NOTHING cooler than a lever action rifle. I'm convinced of it.

4. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Well, I think the consensus is lever gun!

I looked around on Bud's last night, and it looks like there is a drought of lever guns in .357. I'll have to start shopping around locally - I hate buying guns in election years.

We're still obviously a few months away, but I'll update this thread with pictures when I can.

Feel free to post models and brands that you like. This is virgin territory for me.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    An older Marlin will be the best all-around for the money.

For a fun gun, a Puma (Rossi) will generally work if you want the Winchester action without paying the money for the name.

6. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Perfectly said

7. The GP-100 is a fabulous gun. My 6" loves Hornady 147gr leverevolution .357mag ammo.

Love to teach with it with .38's.

8. Braken

Braken

Nov 13, 2006
    is Ok
    I have the Henry Mares Leg in .22 cal. 26" long, with the big loop lever. 10 + 1 LR
    Sweet pistol, 50 yard turtle head shot with open sights, and carry loaded in the truck, since it's a pistol.
    I paid $260 it was a safe queen. One of my favorite firearms.

I've held the .357 version that Henry makes, seemed extra heavy weight, but butter smooth action, $700 or $800 bones, tough to let go of.

After looking at the Henry's, the Rossi Ranch hand seems unfinished, but half the price i'd have to think hard not to get it.

Full sized lever gun in .357 heck yeah. I want one. Which one?