close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me choose a bulk-buy for inexpesnive 9mm competitive shooting.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GammaDriver, Oct 28, 2010.

1. GammaDriver

GammaDriver
    Expand Collapse

As per this thread "Do you compete with the same ammo you practice with? " I got thinking that it is time I start reloading 9mm for fun and future competitive shooting.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to save the most money (or at least a good amount of money - I don't want to buy 500 pounds of powder right now just to save more) on my next, oh, 1000 rounds of 9mm.

I already own a Lee Breech Lock reloading press, so that' what I'm going with. Sure, it isn't the fastest, but it will save me more money to use it than to buy a new press.

So, to save on shipping costs, how about we go for all parts from one retailer?

I guess I'll need
    bullets (it's a LW barrel at the moment, but may be for a future G17 or G34)
    powder
    primers
    dies
    I think I have everything else. The powder must measure well (e.g. consistently) through the typical Lee powder dumper.

I already have walnut media and such for cleaning, too.

I would like to go for a reduced power factor (which means less recoil, more fun, and I guess less cost in powder per cartridge), but until I get a different recoil spring we're gonna have to go with enough to move the slide as it is.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 GammaDriver, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. whatsupglock

whatsupglock
    Expand Collapse

Do a search on 9mm relaoding. There is so much info out there it will make your head hurt. Welcome to the joy and frustrations of reloading.

I do not have different loads for different events, ie practice or match. Different loads change the timing of the gun. Makes no sense to me to time the gun one way for practice and another for a match.

TiteGroup powder is easy to use, but follow the recomendations very closely. A little goes a loooooooooong way. Too much powder and bad things happen. As far as primers go, buy what's available. You'll see what I mean. Just try to stick with the same primers each time.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Powder and primers have to ship separately and there is the $24 hazmat fee. It is what it is. So you can order dies and bullets from somewhere else if it works out better for pricing. Many places have free shipping on bullets (and Berry's seem to have the best pricing I've seen).

Primers are available all over now. I've even seen some on sale. A year ago they were pretty much impossible to find. Now is a good time to start reloading.

Powder is the least expensive part. It makes almost no difference in cost between a mild load and a hot one.

#3 cowboy1964, Oct 28, 2010
  4. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

5. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

If Widener's happens to have everything he needs in stock, then they will ship everything in one package and the OP will only have to pay one hazmat.

I just got a package on Monday from Graf's and it had primers, powder, and bullets, all in the same package.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Good to know. I'm going to be buying my Lee press from Graf's.

7. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Yeah... trying to find all those from ONE supplier will be next to impossible. At least to get them in the money saving bulk you want.

For powder and primers... *the* place to go is Powder Valley. The thing is, ordered anyplace online, the Hazmat fee really drives the cost up. To offset this, you have to order a BUNCH.

I order primers only in quantities of 10,000. That makes the $25.00 per 1000 primer be $270.xx (maybe a little more) so you get the primers at $27 per 1000 with fees/shipping thrown in. If you *know* what powder you like, get a 8 pound jug of that on the same order, the hazmat fee will cover that as well.

For bullets... either Montana Gold or Precision Delta. If you're only ordering lots of 1000 bullets, PD is cheaper. I buy them by the "case" at MG, and I think they come out cheaper, plus they're a better bullet. I get 3000 147gr bullets for $305 (shipped). Great deal.

You also listed "dies". That is obviously not a component, but a one-time purchase. Buy them wherever is cheapest... maybe get some other stuff as well to offset shipping. Think targets, cleaning supplies, additional mags, etc. I use Midway quite a bit for that type of stuff. The places that sell powder/primers the cheapest don't sell dies, the places that sell dies don't sell powders/primers the cheapest.

For maximum savings... yeah, your upfront costs can be expensive (like: $300 for 3000 bullets, $270 for 10,000 primers, extra for powder). But that should last quite awhile.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

9. GammaDriver

GammaDriver
    Expand Collapse

Alright - thanks guys. I was actually thinking of Midway, but I didn't realize they were considered high enough to cause someone to order some parts from there, but to pay another shipping fee from some place else for primers, bullets and powder.

I've got enough to go on, now.

Which grain bullet should I use for a lighter perceived recoil from a stock recoil spring? 147gr?

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Recoil is fairly subjective... you can load some bunny fart loads in almost any weight...

Does your competition require that your ammo meet a minimum power factor? That would be a factor in what and how you load.

11. GammaDriver

GammaDriver
    Expand Collapse

I believe it does, but as the original post stated - my weapon isn't yet ready for minimum power factor loads. That would require a different recoil spring which I'm looking to get. I guess I could just play around with a conservative load and bring it down until the weapon FTE's, then bring it back up a little - that is, until I get a spring.

Probably should just order the spring now, though, and do it all at one time.

12. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

FWIW, my plinking load is 124gr plated round nose (Berry's), CCI spp's, mixed brass, and 4.5gr of Winchester WST. Clean burning, low recoil, and accurate.

13. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

You definately have to go to differenet sources to get the best bulk buys, other than primers and powder if your lucky and the supplier has both of what you want in stock.

I load my 9mm at $107 a thousand using PD 124g bullets and TG. I could easily go below $100 just from switching to Moly 125g RN bullets of which we have a Bear Creek distributer in our club. I would at that point switch powders too though.

Curently if you were to load what I load you would roughly pay a little more maybe $125-130 a K.

PD 124FMJ at $70 a K you would pay $74 if you bought 2K at a time.
    TG at $60 a 4# jug and 5K of primers at $30-35K (plus hazmat and shipping)
    Brass - FREE

#13 Boxerglocker, Oct 28, 2010
  14. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

There are so many loads for IDPA/USPSA in 9mm minor that are proven you won't really need to. My load is runs 1110-1150. Make PF out of my G34 game gun with a 13# recoil spring and also my G19 stock. I developed it that way as my G19 is a back-up gun for competition as well as a carry/HD firearm.

15. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Some others have rung in already... but my answer to this is "yes". I can reload my 147gr to FACTORY PF (let's say around 130-133PF), and it "feels lighter" than WWB which is 115gr.

I occasionally will load up a magazine, alternating my rounds with the WWB rounds, then shoot that. It still surprises me at the difference in recoil. Definitely noticeable.

16. GammaDriver

GammaDriver
    Expand Collapse

Loads of good info in this thread - thanks guys.

This 147 load interests me, care to share the powder and amount?

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I'm not trying to sway you from going Ron59's direction but just throwing this out there to be informed. The 147 most definately has less recoil cause it is a true subsonic load. However, you'll be hard pressed in most cases to get your Glock 17/34 to run reliably without a recoil spring change, especially weak hand only. That goes for any reduced PF load, hovering just above 125 PF for that matter.
    I went that 147 direction for quite a while with a reduced power spring but in the end opted to go 124 FMJ as it's more versitlle IMHO, you still have a ability to load moderately low recoiling rounds and go full power to even +P given the right powder. (I found that I liked the sight tracking much better in the 124 than the 147 which seems sluggish IMO)
    The other benefit is 124g as opposed to 147g you shoot about 20% more as they are cheaper given the same supplier. IE MG 147g are $310 a case of 3000 delivered as opposed to MG 124g are $298 for a case of 3750 delivered (only $2 more if you go 124 JHP).
    Either way your loading a better bullet than factory just depends on how much you want to save and what you truly need in a 9mm reloaded round.

#17 Boxerglocker, Oct 28, 2010
  18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

I'm on my third case of Montana Gold 124gr JHP's. It's a tremendous value if you order them in case lots.

19. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

20. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Shhhhhh..... (Grafs is currently advertising free hazmat on powder orders of 16# or more)