close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me choose a .308!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ATL_GLOCK, May 26, 2011.

1. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    HI all,

Been wanting to get a .308 semi auto battle riffle ever since I read a great article about all the various ones available. I think I have my options narrowed down but wanted to get peoples feed back and other possible recommendations.

So far here are the contenders:

FNH SCAR 17s in FDE:

[​IMG]
    M1A with EBR conversion:

[​IMG]

POF .308:
    [​IMG]

LWRC REPR:

[​IMG]

I have shot each of these and every single one is a different experience. The FNH SCAR is somewhat of a front runner for me currently. Let me know yalls thoughts or other recomendations!

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    How much cash do you wish to part with?

What's it's use going to be?

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    If I buy a 308, I'm buying the SCAR. Its head and shoulders above the competition.

4. Alderak

Alderak

Mar 27, 2008
    that EBR conversion looks like a horrible thing to do to an M1A... haha

Walnut M1A Scout Squad... or perhaps the polymer OD.

5. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    LMT MWS the Rifle I would buy if I won thr Lottery.

6. Based upon your choices, LMT for a precision type, SCAR for a more Battle Type.

7. Clint-M

Clint-M

Jul 7, 2010
    RR, Texas
    I want a less tacti-cool M1A, so that would be my choice.

CM

8. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011
    I bought a PWS MK214 has the same muzzle break as the SCAR because FN uses PWS muzzle breaks and the PWS is the lightest amount of recoil I have ever felt in a .308

9. REPR or MWS would be my first choice of what has been mentioned so far in this thread.

Howver, if some comes out with a lower for the 17S that takes 308 PMAGs it would jump to the top of the list for me.

10. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Apr 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I bought a RRA M4 It shoots fine and not to heavy. I got the flat top.
    Good luck It uses FNFAL mags

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  11. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011
    Alright I am telling check out PWS, its alot lighter than a POF, its cheaper than a SCAR and most LWRC and it take PMAGS

12. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    that lmt mws is pretty nasty not going to lie. what makes it stand out ? I dont know much about it. I'll have to see if I can find one to shoot. The PWS is nice as well, but just doesnt "DO IT" for me.

13. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    If you can buy a SCAR 17 and don't, you have made the wrong choice. I've owned most of the .308 battle rifles at one time or another. The SCAR 17 is the best, in my opinion. It is short and light enough to clear a house. It's accurate enough for dmr work. It is standard military issue, so it's a proven system and there will be parts and accessories available for it for a long time.

The only legitimate complaint I've heard about it is limited availability of magazines, but they are much easier to find now. I have 16 factory mags for my two SCAR 17's, and the most I've paid for one is $40.

14. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    I hear yah. I'm so intrigued by it because it's so different and i feel a huge step forward from a regular ar platform based gun. A lot of goodies in that lil package. And magazine price are not of concern to me.....I mean I am looking to spend $2500+ for a rifle so why would a $20-40 magazine be the deal breaker?

It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining that paying over $1k for tires is too much.

15. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011

The SCAR is amazing and I wish I had one of those as well.

16. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    This. It's about as utilitarian and headache-free a .308 as you'll find.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  17. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    ATL_GLOCK
    So how are you going to buy the SCAR if FNH says for LE/Military only?:whistling: