close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me choose a .22lr plinker

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by PVolk, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Well, I bought the 22/45 today.

First thing I did when I got home was disassemble it just to learn how to do it. It came apart fairly easy, but wouldn't go back together at all. The hammer kept interfering with the top of the mainspring housing. I finally got it back together, but now the gun is non-functioning. And the mainspring housing won't come back out. It's been a bit of a nightmare to say the least. I'll probably be taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow.

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I have the Beretta and Ruger.

While I like the Neos, I feel you made the right choice. Congrats!

3. What you have done is fairly common. The hammer strut is out of place in the recess where it's supposed to go. You didn't get the hammer far enough forward probably. I've done the same thing, not once, but twice. I even scared up the housing prying on it with a screwdriver. Don't do that.

But I never had to take them to a gunsmith. I just kept "fooling with it" until I got the mainspring out. Turn it over, shake it, wiggle it, and eventually it will open back up. I can't tell you exactly what I did, because I don't know myself.

Then when you get it apart again, follow the direction to the letter. When you get to the part about the letting the hammer fall forward, remember it will not "fall" anywhere. You'll have to push it. Take a pencil or a screwdriver and push the hammer into a more or less vertical position. There is a little strut that dangles down from the hammer. (If you don't get the hammer far enough forward, that strut will get hung up behind a pin in the frame.) In the mainspring there is a little cup shaped recess. That strut has to fit in that cup. Get it out of position, and it will lock up as you described.

Once you get the hammer forward, and get the mainspring back in, point the gun vertically, so that strut dangles loose, then start to close it up. If you don't feel a slight resistance, the hammer strut is out of place. And it should be just a slight resistance, not hard, but not easy. Just a little.

Good luck with it. Once you understand how they work it's a snap to put one back together. It's that first couple of times that get you.

4. grg3d

grg3d

Mar 3, 2009
    Maine USA

This^

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    If I was getting a .22 handgun, I'd probably go with a Ruger single-action revolver, just for fun. I've never seen a very reliable .22 semi-auto pistol.

6. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Browning 1911-22. :wavey:

[​IMG]

7. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for the post. I realized what I did after I did it. But after dicking with it for over an hour, I couldn't get the hammer to move to get the mainspring housing open again. If I have to pay the gunsmith $20 to avoid stress and gray hairs, it's probably worth it. :) Not to mention, he can show me how to reassemble it properly and avoid doing what I did again. I know I'll learn more from him in person that I did from the Ruger video.

8. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Kentucky
    Great advice--- get the Ruger