close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help me choose a .22lr plinker

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by PVolk, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I've been wanting to pick up a .22lr handgun for a while now but I haven't been able to make up my mind on which one to get.

I got it narrowed down to the Beretta U22 Neos, Ruger 22/45, and Smith & Wesson 22a.

I've shot the Beretta about a year ago and I liked it alright. I've never shot the Ruger, but it gets great reviews. And the Smith is the cheapest of the 3, but I know very little about it. My LSG has all three in stock and they are all $300 or less, which is the budget I'm giving myself. I'm leaning toward the Ruger or Beretta.

I'm open to opinions and suggestions.

Pics because I'm a picture whore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The Beretta and the Smith and nowhere near on the same league as the Ruger...

Get yourself the Ruger (or a Browning Buckmark) and you will be happy.

BTW finding .22LR ammo to shoot your new gun will be no easy task.

3. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for the input.

I probably should have also mentioned that one of the most important factors needs to be reliability. I'd like one that cycles just about any brand/type of ammo I could throw at it. I recently rented a Buckmark at the range and it was very picky about what I fead it. I had extraction issues about every 4 shots and it was really annoying.

I already have a small stockpile of various brands of .22lr because I also have a 10/22. And my LGS still has a bunch in stock as well.

4. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    What sets the Ruger ahead of the Beretta?

5. kooman

kooman

Dec 10, 2009
    nebraska
    i would bet you had problems with the buckmark because it was an abused range gun, both the buckmark and ruger are top notch firearms, the neos is just plain ugly as hell and the smith doesn't live up to the smith and wesson name.

6. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    The Ruger is greatly upgradeable.
    Mine newer MKIII had some teething problems when it was new. That was traced to the casings ejecting off from the magazine. It was a quick fix. Now the Ruger will feed and fire any ammo on the market but the mexican ammo with no powder in the casings.

It will fire both high speed and regular velocity ammunition with no problems.

7. oneuglygun

oneuglygun

Apr 23, 2010
    Bluegrass
    Just my opinion, the Buckmark and Ruger are equal in quality and accuracy. The Smith 22A would be next in line and lastly The Beretta. Easy to clean, the 22A. More dissasembly required for the Ruger and Browning. Best used, or trade in value , 1 Ruger. 2 Browning. 3 22A. The only one I no longer own out of the 4 mentioned is the Beretta. Just never could grow on me. The one we shoot the most is the 22A.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. Agree completely.

Disagree. I just ordered a case of .22LR, it was in stock at several dealers. As long as you want Ely Red or Lapua Midas.

9. oppi27

oppi27

Jan 28, 2013
    South Western PA
    I love the ruger, I've put thousands of rounds through mine.

10. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm really surprised the Beretta is ranking last. I was dead-set on that one like a week ago...

I'm going to check out the Ruger again tomorrow. I'll probably be taking it home.

11. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
    One more vote for Ruger MKI-II-III's.

You can configure these guns ten different ways to Sunday and they are built to last a lifetime. (or two)

12. kooman

kooman

Dec 10, 2009
    nebraska
    fat chicks and mopeds and the neos are in the same catagory if you get my drift.:cool::rofl:

13. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    The S&W M&P 22 is a great training analog for it's center fire 9mm & 40 S&W cousins. Mine has been 100% reliable with multiple brands of bulk .22lr ammo. It's easy to field strip & reassemble. I really like mine. That being said, it's no Ruger MK-series .22lr. The Ruger MK-series .22lr is inherently more accurate than the M&P 22.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Agreed.

15. uaengineer

uaengineer

Jun 21, 2012
    Bham, AL
  16. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    Go with the Ruger and if you get the 22/45 try to get one with the replaceable grip panels because it's way more comfortable.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Target/models.html

The MKIII is great too (same gun but with metal frame and more aggressive grip angle). I have the standard MKIII with the tapered barrel, I love it.

17. JohnP82

JohnP82

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana