Help me build my dad a very capable Ruger 10-22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by myesque, Nov 2, 2010.

1. My Dad wants a nice and accurate 10-22. I love my stock 10-22, but I am not on the up and up with all of of the best options to consider here.
    Please keep in mind he is no sniper, and I am sure most stock rifles can out shot him already. But that said, he wants a really nice rig.
    Suggest upgrades. (no pro level things please)

- barrels
    - triggers
    - optics
    - stocks
    - any big bang for you buck thing you can come up with

I should also mention he really hates the whole "tactical" thing. Though he does want a black synthetic stock.

The main purpose of this is target shooting with an occasional rabbit, raccoon, and squirls.

Thanks for your help!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Flashlight rebuild help The Okie Corral Jan 20, 2015
    Need help on my AR build! Black Rifle Forum Dec 8, 2014
    building glock 17-C race gun Help ! Tech Talk Jul 26, 2014
    Help me build an Open G34 General Glocking Jul 7, 2014
    AR Builders...we can help! Light Tac LLC Jun 24, 2014

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Is there anything wrong with Rugers Target model 10/22?

4. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Good setup out of the box, YES. Minus the trigger.

A 35 dollar Volquartsen target hammer will make this setup the best bang for the buck. The target hammer can be purchased at Rimfire Sports and Custom, and the 10/22 Target from anywhere, like Bud's (best deal that I've found):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70286

Good luck.

#3 GSSF17, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. Can you use the "hot" rounds through those barrels? Like the CCI stingers? I think I remember some where that it would kill the barrels? Even mini mags for that mater, is this true?

6. That's all I ever shoot out of my 10/22. When I shoot the mega bulk pack ammo I get lots of duds.

7. So you have this barrel and there is no issue?

8. Glock2008

Glock2008 Gun User

I don't think stingers are supposed to be ran through anything with a target or match barrel, but I'm sure people do it anyway.

9. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

They are not. I do not shoot hot ammo through my heavy barrel 10/22s. People's facination with stingers has always amazed me anyway....but I digress. I stick with Federal Auto Match 40 Grain. 325 rounds for 16 bucks all day and a very consistent, accurate round.

10. The Volquartsen hammer is the best single improvement for the 10/22 IMO. Drops in, huge improvement in practical accuracy. My plain jane 10/22 became a tack driver with the VQ hammer.
    Add a good scope, a brick of Mini Mags and you'll be amazed how well they shoot.

11. If he can find an older stock 10/22 get that and throw a decent scope on it. I did this for about $240.