close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help!!! Issue with New Build...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Sampo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Sampo

Sampo

I recently completed this build:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432247

Finally got out to shoot and thought I was gonna lose it!!!

Issues:

Firearm will not cycle a complete magazine, it essentially turned into a single action shooter. I load a full mag, cycle charging handle, chamber loaded and ready, pull trigger...bang...pull trigger again....nothing....cycle CH, load new round, pull trigger....bang....pull trigger.....nothing.... This happens about 95% of the time. The other 2.5%, I am able to run a full mag with no issues. The other 2.5%... FTE galore, I actually had to position the end of the CH against a shooting bench as counter pressure to pull back on the CH to clear the chamber (spent casing).

Ammo:

Mixed variety of Wal-mart offerings; Tula, Rem, Federal...

I've tried to self diagnose my issues and come up with it being either a gas/pressure or buffer/spring issue. Can't find a concrete solution though. :crying:

Details on upper:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...rome-moly-matte-with-a2-handguard-flash-hider

Details on LPK:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...arts/complete-psa-ar15-lower-moe-edition.html

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. Keoking

Keoking

My Olympics Arms has been 100%. :tongueout:

Enough of me being a dick. I have no idea what is wrong with your rifle, but I hope someone can get you sorted out with a minimum of hassle. Good luck.

3. theundeadelvis

theundeadelvis

Is the spent casing being ejected? What magazines are you using (tried a variety?)? What weight buffet do you have?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Could be lots of things. You have a rifle length gas system using a heavy buffer. That could be the problem. You could have a rifle length spring in your buffer tube...that could be a problem (too long). Your gas tube might not be lined up with your gas key on your bolt. The gas key might be loose. The front sight base might not be aligned with the gas port. The gas port might be too small.

Any number of things...

Put a single round in a magazine and fire it. Does the bolt lock back? If not you have a gas issue somewhere.

5. Sampo

Sampo

Both, casing will eject with no follow-up round being loaded, when the spent case does not eject, I get the crazy FTE. Mags were Pmags and standard GI metal mags with green/black followers.

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

what is "the crazy FTE"

if you're having to mash the CH to open the bolt, your ammo/chamber is suspect.

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Do the simple test bb asked, single round in magazine see if it locks back on the bolt, if not you are. Under gassed.. Does not matter what else you do that is the first diagnostic to try.

8. Mayhem like Me

After reading the build I am gonna say that it is most likely a gas issue a rifle system on a 16 inch is a recipe for not working right....at least in 5.56 /223.
    Can you make it work probably, but 16 works best with a mid..in 5.56

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Sampo

Sampo

Pic of the buffer and spring...

FTE- Failure to Eject/Extract

Single round shot will lock the bolt back.

Compared the buffer and spring to those of my S&W M&P15 16" carbine length gas system and as far as I can tell, they're the same.

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Well first I would try a lighter buffer, if that does not work then it is a problem with the gas system.

I had the same issue with a PSA upper I bought, gas port in the barrel and gas block were not lined up causing that exact problems you describe.

11. Mayhem like Me

Important question did the bolt lock on the bolt face or carrier.
    If it locked on the bolt face check for extractor tension if it seems weak go with the Bravo company upgrade.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

This is part of the issue... sort of. A rifle-length gas system uses a rifle-specific buffer. However, it goes a bit deeper.

Rifle gas system on a 16" barrel is a bad mix IMO. Post gas-block dwell is WAY too short. The pressurized gasses that cycle the action come into play between the time the bullet passes the gas port, and the time it exits the barrel. Once the round exits the barrel, so does the pressure.

This is why carbines benefit greatly from H-buffer(over-gassing due to long dwell time). Mid-lengths typically run just fine with a standard buffer, and so on.

This is also why "mock Dissy" ARs exist. FSB in the rifle position, but the gas block is a low-pro, in the mid-length position, hidden under the handguards. Gives you the cool looks and longer sight radius of the Dissy, but it'll actually run worth a damn.

A true Dissipator has to be a perfectly tuned symphony of buffer weight, properly pressured ammo, etc, or it'll just suck. Even at it's best, 50/50 chance it'll suck anyway.

If you want to get your's running correctly, I'd install a complete rifle system(buffer, spring, tube & stock), then load it up with quality ammo in the P-mags, and give it a try.

:wavey:

13. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Probably a dumb question but have you checked your gas rings? I had the same problems you're describing on an SBR - blown gas ring was the culprit.

14. Sampo

Sampo

Will the MOE stock fit on a rifle length buffer tube? Is the diameter the same as a mil-spec tube? Checked the gas rings, eveything looked 10-4.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

No, it's a completely different tube.

This is the MOE rifle stock...

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG404-BLK.aspx

You might want to swap the H-buffer for a standard one first, couldn't hurt to try!

But odds are good this system will continue to give you issues.

16. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Hopefully Plank will see this and jump in, he may have a solution I have not thought of yet.

:dunno:

17. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

First "review" on Delton's page

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu112.htm

Now I can't agree with him running a rifle receiver extension with a carbine spring and buffer, but something isn't right.

18. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

From Delton's Blog

http://blog.del-ton.com/2012/01/ar-15-gas-sytems-and-operation.html

19. Airhasz

Airhasz

OP i hope you get you problem straightened out quickly, but I would then sell the weapon or designate it to range use as I would never again trust it in a patrol/defense situation...get you a Colt...good luck

20. Sampo

Sampo

10-4 Airhasz.

Took the buffer apart, and got this...

Those that have suggested a lighter buffer, how many weights would you leave? 1-2?

I'm gonna jump on the horn with Del-ton come Monday and see what they say. Til then, a little in house "tweaking".