close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help in Identifying Church for us

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Tarkio, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Tarkio

Tarkio

May 16, 2006
    West
    Looking for some guidance in selecting a church.

We are going to start taking our children to church. Problem is neither my wife nor I are deeply religious and are not well-informed either.

My wife was raised in a Presbyterian church and I attended a Christian Church.

We live in a rural area and our church selections are limited. We are looking for a simple church that is not overly evangelical (does not suit our personalities). Just looking for a decent quiet church to get our kids in to begin learning more about Christianity.

Here are the options we have locally:
    Bethlehem Congregational
    Evangelical Lutheran
    Methodist Church
    Open Bible Church
    Baptist Church

I know about some of these options and have tentatively excluded them but will refrain so that I might hear what others have to say.

2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Isn't Presbyterian considered Christian? :tongueout: :supergrin:

I'd suggest going there, see if you like them. If you've already ruled them out, try ranking them with the reasons, see if there's some ruled out on major fundamental reasons, and some ruled out on minor issues. No reason not to give them another chance. There's so many denominations out there, no way you're going to find another church that matches the one you were brought up in. Its probably changed in the meantime, it might not match anymore either....

Randy

3. A quick google of "comparison christian denominations" turned up this site with a chart comparing 7 large denominations across a number of doctrine.

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/denominations_beliefs.htm

Since you're new to the RI I will play nice for now beyond saying that I believe them to all be equally true. :cool:

-ArtificialGrape

4. nmstew

nmstew

Jan 6, 2007
    I'm curious. If neither of you are religious, why start taking your children to church?

5. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
  6. Tarkio

Tarkio

May 16, 2006
    West
    Yes. When I said Christian, I was referring to First Christian Church which is of the denomination of Disciples of Christ or Church of Christ.

Smart aleck. I mean that in a nice smart aleck way myself.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. Tarkio

Tarkio

May 16, 2006
    West
    We are not deeply religious people. We do believe but have not actively participated in a structured religion since our adolescence.

Why are we taking our children? I believe it is/can be a very positive force in a child's life and development. Growing up, I believe I gained quite a bit from attending church and meeting others at church.

8. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    It's totally up to you as the parents. I would recommed that you decide whether you want your children to be taught from the bible, or from tradition. I mean I would get a statement of beliefs from each church and see what they teach. If it is not in harmony with what the bible teaches don't expose your children to it.

9. After my earlier post I had some lunch, and I'm feeling a little more myself now :supergrin:

I would argue that as parents you are already equipped to be the positive force needed in your children's lives. You can teach them the values that you would like to see (respect, altruism, striving to decrease pain/suffering and increase happiness in others, etc.). Along with that, an understanding of critical thinking should be taught.

There does not have to be a notion of sin and fear of Hell for children to grow up well well-behaved, moral, etc. The threat of Santa withholding gifts is not required to have "good" kids, nor is the belief that their every action and thought is being monitored, and somebody had to die on a cross for their sins.

-ArtificialGrape

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    :supergrin: I figured, just the way you put it was barely ambiguous and could be taken the wrong way if you were a fan of Leslie Neilson in "Airplane!" as I am... :rofl:

How old are the kids? I'm thinking you have some time to decide before they're irreparably damaged.. ;)

Randy

11. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    find a church that teaches salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

everything else will fall into place.

12. AlexHassin

AlexHassin

Dec 15, 2010
    Taiwan
    How about instead work on there critical thinking skills and someday they will make the choice themselves.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    :agree:

14. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

Jul 29, 2007
    NC
    Small rural churches can be difficult to evaluate as the personality of the congregations as much as the church doctrines affect the atmosphere.

If evangelizing is not your cup of tea, you will need to be cautious when looking at Baptist churches.

The Evangelical Lutheran church might work for your family. They have a program to teach the kids to include training for confirmation. They are somewhat tolerant, not the most condemning of the Lutheran groups. If there were an Episcopal parish close by, try it they generally function as a "hospital for sinners", not a "museum for saints".

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I would recommend going to a church that teaches from the bible and is the basis of its doctrine, if you are seeking a solid root for your children. Popular religion isn't necessarily good religion. If there is no biblical foundation, and all it is is a social club, it will provide no lasting value for your children.

Most of all pray about it honestly. God will lead.

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    If you can't find a church that you like.... homeschool them. If people can do that for regular schoolwork, no reason you can't do the same.

Randy

17. BradD

BradD

Jun 22, 2000
    KY
    You should not have "being evangelical" in your personalities because, from your description, you're perhaps not born-again Christians. (Edit: I saw your later post in which you said you do believe. Sorry. Perhaps "out of fellowship" then LOL) If you are converted (edit: or come back to being in fellowship), then you'd become evangelical per the Great Commission at the end of Matthew. That doesn't mean you'd go door-to-door, but perhaps you would contribute to the missions fund at your church and help pay for the missionaries.

I'd recommend baptist. The more I read the Bible and study, the more I think they have it closest to correct.

I know you said you're looking for a small and simple church, but I'd recommend to be more open minded to the bigger ones. I grew up going to a small pentecostal church back in the mountains, but now our family goes to about a 5000 member baptist church. It's amazing how much more active the larger church is, undoubtedly because we have a lot bigger pool of resources. We have missionaries in multiple parts of the world, pastors and deacons visiting large numbers of people in hospitals, etc., charity drives, preschool, special needs elementary and high school, fellowship through sports programs, you name it. Back home, our church had very little in the way of resources, so the pastor had to have another job, there was no missionary program, etc. etc. Basically, the church existed for its members. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  18. I was raised as a nominal Presbyterian also. I desired more than I found there although I am sure that there are precious souls there. I found what I was seeking.

Some things to think and pray about:

1. Jesus is the head of the Church. Does your Church recognize this?

2. What is the standard of authority? The Bible should be the standard of faith and practice for Christians. There are some churches that do not think that the Bible has this authority. This is dangerous because they then base the authority of their church on man made philosophies.

3. You believe in God. Ask Him to lead you.

4. Jesus said it. John 13:34 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

19. hannielonline

hannielonline

Nov 28, 2010
    Are you both believers? Have you been born again?

20. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

Dec 19, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I would start with the Evangelical Lutheran and the Methodist. But every congregation is different. Especially in small congregations, the tenor will be driven by the nature of the congregation. Like-minded people will tend to band together. Listen, observe, and pray. God wants you to find a group of people through which you can do His work