close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP !! I'm moving to NY, what to do??

Discussion in 'Tri State Glockers' started by USMCGLOCKER, Dec 27, 2007.

1. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

New Yorkers!!

I'll be moving to Rochester, NY (from Indiana) for about a year after this upcoming semester for work, and am wondering if any of you know what I need to do to keep my guns legal (all of the ones in my signature line). Online resources, personal experiences, and other references are all good. I would like to be able to carry still, but mainly, I just want to be able to have them in my place legally when I live there (if possible). I doubt the AR15 will fly, but the pistols are hopefully good to go. Whaddaya think?... other than don't move away from the great free state of Indiana. ;)

-Brett

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FrankRochester

FrankRochester
    Expand Collapse

none of your guns are ok to have in NY. You have to have a license just to possess a handgun in NY. And they don't give out non-resident versions. And your AR-15 is a no-no if it is in "Pre-Ban" configuration. We have our own version of the 1994 Federal AWB. And it never expires. So no post ban high cap mags either. Better plan on leaving your guns home. Where are you going to be working in Rochester?

3. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate your info, and I had kind of come to the realization that I would be without them for the year... :crying:

I am not sure where I'll be working just yet, but this semester I'll be applying in a number of places. It is likely that I will end up working with Rochester U doing something related to academics.

Damn NY for being so commie !!

4. FrankRochester

FrankRochester
    Expand Collapse

University of Rochester is a good school. Keep in touch, when are you moving?

5. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

Will do. I'm moving in the summer. I have one more semester of college here to do first !

6. da chef

da chef
    Expand Collapse
    glock convert

i lived in rochester for about 12 years. at one time had picked up the ccw application but never completed so i'm no authority on the subject but if memory serves me correctly you needed 6 months of residency plus references. might be a bit more difficult as you're coming from out of state but still possible that u won't be without your handguns for the entire year. of course laws may have been changed and i might even be completely wrong about the residency requirements but don't lose all hope i had plenty of friends and family in rochester with their ccw.

Good luck!!!

7. da chef

da chef
    Expand Collapse
    glock convert

8. da chef

da chef
    Expand Collapse
    glock convert

9. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! That rentrochester site is great!

10. buddah

buddah
    Expand Collapse

If you feel that you must have a gun while living in Rochester, why not buy a Mossberg 500?? They make a great home defense weapon and you could pick up a used mossberg for around $200.00. And best part is, you don't need a permit.

11. Hef

Hef
    Expand Collapse
    Stop Obammunism

My condolences.

12. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

no permit required for shotguns? I won't even be a resident. Can a non resident get a shotgun?

13. da chef

da chef
    Expand Collapse
    glock convert

buddah, that's a great idea

14. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey
    Expand Collapse
    in ur rearview

If you:

-got rid of all the non-preban mags
    -converted your AR to Ban configuration(fixed stock, no flash hider/no bayo lug) or just sold the upper and put a ban compliant one on
    -found a local (NY) FFL that was willing to recieve your firearms and to hold the pistols for you till your handgun permit was issued

You would probably be all set

btw unless you're a leo I wouldn't plan on getting a CCW permit, although this does depend on the county and your reasons for requesting one

15. FrankRochester

FrankRochester
    Expand Collapse

That is absolutely false... I received my CCW in 5 months and so did all my other friends. If you are near NYC forget about CCW. Buffalo and Syracuse are difficult as well. But Rochester is pretty much a shall issue area. I know of no one who has ever been denied.

16. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey
    Expand Collapse
    in ur rearview

Well I live in Syracuse, I have my CCW but pretty much everyone else gets denied. Also, the surrounding counties are pretty bad now too. I'm glad you live in a free county. G'Luck to the OP with the move.

17. XD9 4 ME

XD9 4 ME
    Expand Collapse
    I

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting your guns back in a year... I'd be safe and say 2 to be sure. Figure you wait the 6 months and then have to wait up to 8 months(atleast in my case). It's funny even the state governments don't follow their own laws.. (I believe they have to have an answer back to you within 6 months)

I also haven't heard of anyone have a target only permit in Monroe County. Now other counties... absolutely...

Your damned you won't your guns but you'll be happy that once you have em that you'll be able to carry em!

BTW if you call it Rochester U you'll get picked on like a redheaded step child. Call it the U of R..... Just trying to help out ;)

18. FrankRochester

FrankRochester
    Expand Collapse

From what I've been led to believe. In Syracuse, they will give you the "hunting/target shooting" permit. Then, if you have been a good boy for a few years they will give you the concealed carry permit if you re-apply. The funny thing is, in NY there is no law for a hunting/target shooting permit. The judges are illegally placing restrictions on the permits. Someone needs to take them to court.

19. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey
    Expand Collapse
    in ur rearview

Correct

Absolutely freaking not!

Agreed

20. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey
    Expand Collapse
    in ur rearview

It is advised to request the "Sportsman" permit because unless you are leo it will most likely be denied. It is free and you can apply as many times as you'd like after to have your permit "upgraded" to a different class. Good luck with that though. A friend of mine has applied 3-4 times and been denied every time even though he followed the judges suggestion to the "T" the following time he applied.

This ones gonna cause carpal tunnel but heres Onondaga County's print out word for word when applying for a "Concealed Carry" pistol license, even the words that are capitalized when they shouldn't be are exactly as found on the form.

Here is page two that you must fill out according to what they ask of you. Keep in mind that the above and below are only for those applying for a CCW "unrestricted" permit.

Space given for you answer

Space given for you answer

So reading the above word for word makes you wonder how leo could even get their permit if "Self-protection is not a sufficient need for the issuance of a carry concealed license" and "A statement of grounds which meet the test of "proper cause", i.e. "a special need for self-protection distiguishable from that of the general community or of persons engaged in the same profession"". Wouldn't that mean that you would have to show why you need a permit more than other leos since "Self-protection is not a sufficient need for the issuance of a carry concealed license"?

My fingers hurt after typing all that out so I'm done for a bit.