close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Help choosing Ammo & what not to buy

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by theblakester, Jan 23, 2012.

1. theblakester

theblakester

Jan 20, 2012
    Houston
    I have a Gen4 G22 .40 cal and, I have also got a Lone wolf .40-9mm conversion barrel (and magazine). My questions are:

1. What are some of the good and inexpensive range rounds in both .40 and 9mm that I should buy, and where can I purchase them?

2. What are some specific brands, types etc of .40 and 9mm that I should stay away from? Is there anything that the Glock (and specifically my setup) doesn't like or isn't good for it?

Basically I want to stay away from any round that my gun doesnt like or is bad for certain parts, and would also like some help finding a good value on some ammo that my gun does like.

Thanks!

2. Bald Baron

Bald Baron Hermit

Jan 5, 2012
    Elkader, Iowa
    I've run almost a dozen different types of .40 thru my g27 and haven't found one that doesn't work yet. Some are a little dirtier than others, but your going to clean the gun anyway! :wavey:

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    I can't speak for 9mm, but for .40, Winchester White Box is decent stuff. I shoot American Eagle and Speer Lawman in my .40's and I've never had a problem with either ammo. In some areas those two brands may be more expensive, in my area they're the same price as WWB.
    Only shoot factory new ammo with jacketed bullets. Don't shoot reloads, and don't shoot unjacketed lead bullets through the barrel made by Glock. You can shoot unjacketed lead bullets through aftermarket barrels. There are some brands of ammo like Independence and Ultramax which are "remanufactured", that means they're reloads and I wouldn't shoot them.

4. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

Waiting for all the reloading guys to come get you :wow:

:popcorn:

This should be good!

5. Rod Ferro

Rod Ferro

Jan 20, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Winchester white box from Walmart works fine in my Glock. YMMV

6. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida

Wow. :wow:

I guess I need to sell my G20. It has never in its life fired anything but ammunition I built myself.

I can build it cleaner.
    I can build it more accurate.
    I can build it to more consistent specifications AND performance.
    I can build it safely based on this particular pistol as opposed to some generic theoretical.
    And I can build it for way under 50% of the cost of the crappiest factory ammo.

. . silly me. :tongueout:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    I wouldn't shoot reloads unless I made them myself. I definitely wouldn't shoot the reloads commonly sold at gun shows.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Probably whatever you find on the shelf at Walmart that is least expensive will be fine.

9. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

I picked up some at the Kane County show in IL a couple weeks ago and it shot great...the booth had lots of customers and they all gave great reviews.

A big name manufacture machines can screw up also.

10. theblakester

theblakester

Jan 20, 2012
    Houston
    Awesome. Are there any good websites that offer them at a better price. In bulk perhaps?

11. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Umm, Independence brand is NOT remanufactured. It is made by CCI in Lewiston, ID.

12. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    For me, Federal Champion purchased locally at Walmart would be the cheapest, and probably also most reliable factory ammo. But I can load a better product for roughly half the cost in 9mm.

13. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    I have a G23 with a lone wolf 9 setup.

Whatever is cheapest works just fine. Every once in a great while the 9 fails to chamber with WWB but that is probably due to a stronger spring in the gun. It's the only way I can train for a malfunction :cool:

Go for what is cheap.

14. theblakester

theblakester

Jan 20, 2012
    Houston
    Cool. Ive put 300 rounds of WWB fmj down the pipe of the LWD 9mm barrel, some rapid fire, some double tap, and some slow, and it's been flawless thus far.