close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hello from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by wiscmike, Aug 30, 2012.

1. wiscmike

wiscmike

Aug 28, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Going to pick up my first pistol in a couple days and it will be a Glock 17 Gen4. I plan on joining the local shooting club so I can use the indoor range. Even a league this winter even might be in the cards although for sure I will be in last place every time. :supergrin:

2. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    Welcome to the forum. I think you've made a good choice for your first pistol.

The more you shoot the more comfortable you'll be with your pistol. I'll bet you find yourself slowly moving up the ranks of the league in no time.

3. CPatt44

CPatt44

Jul 5, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome from Milwaukee. Shoot straight and stay safe.

4. wiscmike

wiscmike

Aug 28, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes. This is a friendly place indeed and I am sure I will be having many questions in the upocoming months. I also hope to contribute one day as I gain experience. I am going to a Gander Mtn store for my Glock 17 Gen4. I called up Glock and they told me that any date of Oct 2011 or beyond will have all the updates to the Glock 17. I am sure they don't have these sitting on the shelf that long but will check the date on the envelope of the 2 spent cartridges that come in every kit as they told me. I just don't want to purchase a pistol that has to be updated before I get to take it to the range.
    As far as ammo goes I was told by Glock as long as it has NATO or Sammi on the box it is fine? Anyone can add anything to the ammo for the range I should buy and also the ammo I should keep on hand for HD? Thank you all, Mike

5. MoCop

MoCop

Jan 2, 2005
    Missouri
    Welcome and congrats on your first pistol!! You made a good choice.

6. For ammo, you'll get tons of opinions.

I like to find one kind for the range, and one for defense, and stick with them. I don't like switching around much because if you have problems or jams or innaccuracy, you won't know if it was the ammo or what.

My household is standardized on Federal American Eagle or Speer Lawman 124gr for 9mm. We buy it by the case. For defense we use Speer Gold Dots 124gr.

Not saying those choices are good or bad, but just that they work in all my 9mm handguns, for both me and my wife :)

7. wiscmike

wiscmike

Aug 28, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, just the reply I was looking for. I know there is a wide range of ammo but just want to ghet started in the right direction. I get 5% off when purchasing the pistol and I am told ammo hardly ever goes on sale. So I want to buy a good ammo right at the start.