close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Heavy Barrel Fit Mossberg 500?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by backbore, Jan 8, 2011.

1. backbore

backbore

Mar 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I have a Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel riot gun with twin action bars. It's due for a freshen up and I'd like to install a heavy barrel. I contacted Mossberg and the customer service person said the heavy barrel will not work on my receiver and will only work on a 590A1 receiver.

Can anyone here confirm this?

2. m24shooter

m24shooter

Jan 21, 2009
    Not exactly. The heavy barrel will fit on the reciever. However, the magazine tube and barrel lug arrangement are different. You would have to get a 590A1 mag tube to match your barrel length. A 5 round mag would work on the 18.5" barrel and the 8 round would be needed for the 20" barrel, assuming you weren't going with the 14.5" which uses another mag tube.
    The 500/590/590A1 use the same receivers, they are just roll marked differently. So while the Mossberg drone you spoke with wasn't completely wrong he wasn't completely right either.

3. backbore

backbore

Mar 6, 2003
    Maryland
    This makes a lot more sense to me. Now I just gotta price the mag tube. Hey! Anybody in the market for a heat shield? I'm not gonna need mine anymore (heat shield won't fit a heavy barrel).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. Or find one of the heavy 500 barrels Havlin Sales had a couple of years ago.

18.5", heavy barrel with screw in chokes. I picked up 2 of them when they had them for $69.95.

5. Other than a 500Mils barrel your going to have to change to a 590 mag tube.