close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

hearing protection

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by billn, Aug 26, 2012.

1. billn

billn

Jul 1, 2012
    Decent hearing protection on a budget?

2. jhertzler

jhertzler

Jan 11, 2009
    Kansas
    Howard Leight electronic muffs. Thin, light, effective. Joe

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345991228&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight"]Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ShugcEeRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ShugcEeRL[/ame]

3. hps

hps

Feb 20, 2010
    Indy
    I have a pair of those and they work great, but they are HOT!! I like the plain ole ear plugs that are connected by the orange plastic band that goes around ur neck.

4. Muffs nearly always provide greater hearing protection than inserts. Amplified (electronic) muffs allow the shooter to hear range commands and timer buzzers better if you shoot competitively.

If you are shooting rifles however, muffs often make it more difficult to get a good cheek weld.

5. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    if you want to be hardcore about it, go plugs and muffs.

6. mingaa

mingaa

Dec 3, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I double up with passive muffs rated at 33 and soft plugs I buy in bulk that are high 20s - maybe 30 iirc. Basic but effective. It's a habit like seat belts. Maybe it's overkill in some situations but better that than the alternative.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. Huh? Whazzat, quit mumbling!

Yes, I'm a disabled veteran with a noise-induced hearing loss and it's rather aggravating - on a good day!

8. the one I use a lot is the Brownell's electronic muff made by pro ears.
    [​IMG]

it comes with nice coushy leather cups.

I also have the Howard Leight muff mention above. I do not like how shallow the cups which puts pressure on my outer cartilage and hurts after a few hours.

9. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
  10. damnyankee20

damnyankee20

Jan 21, 2012
    I use the Howard Leight QB1HYG (NRR 27 dB):
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Inner-Aural-Hearing-Protection/dp/B002I8MI3Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1346002842&sr=1-4&keywords=Howard+Leight+QB1HYG"]Amazon.com: Howard Leight ® Quiet Band Inner-Aural Hearing Protection Band - QB1HYG Hearing Protection Band - QB1HYG: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vUvc6SJ6L.@@AMEPARAM@@31vUvc6SJ6L[/ame]

I own several of these and they work GREAT when I'm firing my G20. I was skeptical before I tried them...but they save the ears and are extremely light weight. Buh-bye sweaty ear muffs!

11. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

May 24, 2012
    Tampa,Florida
    They sell the Howard Leight L3 at Dicks Sporting goods for 15 bucks

12. I buy box of these every so often. I use them for work and shooting, and always have three or four packs in my pocket. You never know when you might need them. They are rated 33db and work better than the over the head type, especially if youre shooting a long gun. The muffs just get in the way there.

http://www.earplugstore.com/holemax3bof2.html

13. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    Double up, but use active muffs to replace the low-volume hearing you lose from the plugs. The muffs in Post #2 are good, or go way cheap with the $30 Caldwell ones. The plugs protect your inner ear, and muffs amplify and protect the area around your ear. Main problem with cheap active muffs is feedback and wind noise.

As far as heat goes, just step away from the shooting and take the muffs off every so often - leaving the plugs in.

I started out with the ones in Post #9, but they are comically large, do not protect as well as double-plugging with active muffs, and are impossible to use with long guns. So I ended up switching to my hearing band for long gun stages, which exposes the outer ear area, and you're basically stone deaf., so can’t hear range commands very well.

For O/P, I'd say Caldwells + a bottle of plugs = GTG for ~$40. You can always upgrade the muffs later if you start shooting more, and you'll have something to use for friends, wife, etc.

14. wdp

wdp

Dec 27, 2011
    Twin Tiers, NY
    I can't say enough good things about Surefire Sonic Defenders. They are so comfortable and they stay put I your ear canal. Make sure you follow the sizing chart for the correct fit. Should be available around $12-$15.

15. Shark1007

Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    orlando
    I agree with the pro ears 33.

The electronics shifted duty to sitting on top of the safe in case Mr Mini 14 needs to go off in the house.

16. I use the Sonic Defender PLUS and they are very good if you get the correct fit.

17. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Peltor Ultimate 10. best $30 on ear pro I've spent. i thought it was kinda high, but they block so much sound. I think they're rated at 30dB NRR. I can't hear my .22 shots impact my gongs 50 yards away.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  18. jjslice

jjslice

May 23, 2008
    what do you guys use for eye protection when using electronic ear pro? I have some Howard Leight's but when I wear eye protection it causes a break in the seal of the hearing protection against my head and it doesn't make it as effective, especially indoors.