Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RWBlue, Jun 15, 2012.

1. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    We need a headlamp thread.

What do you have?

What do you like?

What don't you like?

What have you broke?

Anything new on the horizon?
  2. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008

I like that it works

uncomfy bands

don't know

I like a head lamp, but it's a luxury prep to me. Haut not necessatyndy in a couple of key way, b

3. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Big headlamp user here; my usage is biased for "trade pro who works with hands" usage, and I'm an AA floodie junkie. I've written a fairly extensive "what questions to ask before you buy" guide for headlamps on CPF here, which lays out my "philosophy of headlamps," which emphasizes matching your intended use to the headlamp.

Headlamps I own:

Irix Icon II, about $20, 1AA, top lumen 50, variable dial. One of the better of the cheap headlamps, but tint is so-so and beam spread narrow unless you fix it with frost spray or sanding.

Zebralight H50, H501w, & H501r (let's see, I guess 7 of them). Obviously my favorite, $60 each, 1AA, top lumen 80 (H501w), waterproof, excellent tint, excellent even flood beam of 80 degrees, small, and tough.

Spark SD-52 Neutral, 2AA, top lumen 280 (although I suspect it doesn't get that high, maybe around 200) $120 with two lenses (flood and spot/spill)

Petzl something, a headlamp relegated to the toolbox, 3AAA. Yawner of a light with a nasty tint.

Energizer 7-LED piece of 3AAA junk, not worthy of even throwing in a toolbox, ringy narrow beam, must click through all levels each time, no brightness control, no moisture proofing, no regulation, but the tint is reasonably OK. It was lying around, and wife swiped it for reading in bed. Fine; not really useful for anything. (Would never buy another Energizer headlamp.)

PrincetonTec Bot, a 2AAA light for my youngster. Not bad for a kid's light. Nice because it's reasonably dim on lo and doesn't go very high.

On order: Zebralight H502c, a high-CRI 1AA headlamp that tops out at 140 lumen with 120 degree flood coverage. $70. Very likely to become my new favorite.

What's "hot" (popular, not temperature)? A batch of new Zebralights just coming out (several new ones, AA, CR123, 18650), the Sparks (also lots of new offerings), and if you're a diehard SureFire fan, they're putting out some versions of the Saint that range from OK to very good. The exciting evolution in LEDs, be the newly available high-CRI emitters that mimic incan (and daylight) pretty well, finally giving good color rendition from an LED. IMHO, good color rendition is MUCH more important than top lumens. I would give up half the available lumens to get good tint and/or high CRI, as would most flashlight enthusiasts.

But if you want to sort through the popular headlamps yourself, check my thread here.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Last two or three years, I've settled on the coast H7. It has quickly adjustable variable spot-to-flood and dim-to-bright ranges that make it work for anything from spotting across a long dark attic space (high, spot) down to working in & wiring up control panels (medium, flood). I've broken one of them; they have some exposed wires where I wish they didn't. But at only $40 or so, I can live with that one issue. Another plus for me is that it uses AAA batteries which I always have in my work box, not some odd or coin-cell battery that I'd have to carry specially for it.
  5. Two_Clicks

Mar 7, 2010
    Southern Ohio
    I use the cabelas Alsakan guide series a lot! It was supposed to be just a hunting rig but I wear it more and more for tasks in the attic and basement when I need some extra light. It takes 4 AA batteries stored on the back of your head and has two different light settings one very bright lamp and then some green LEDs that I use to get in and out of the woods. I like it a lot we get streamlight models at work that also strap on our hard hats they are a lot lighter since they take 3 AAA right behind the light but don't last near as long.

Mine is similar to this but they have changed up the head style a bit
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    TwoClicks, you sure that's not a Princeton Tec Apex? Sure looks like it. Those'll do 130 to 200 lumens (depending on model) with a cool tint beam. Solid headlamp, they've been a favored standby for many years. The big rear-mount battery packs are fading away as years go by, but still useful for some applications.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    I have one of the original Petzl duo's, good for very limited applications. The rear mount battery pack is way too heavy and irritating for general use.

On Bolsters rec I just ordered the Zebralight 502c. :supergrin: I'd been debating one a while back, but that was the nudge I needed to pull the trigger.
  8. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    By way of explaining "High CRI," the below distribution is of a typical "low CRI" white LED. Notice how it drops spectrum especially around the blue-green, and around the orange to red. And has a big spike of blue. This is what gives the typical LED that flat-looking illumination, and causes some people to say they're "hard to see with" regardless of how bright they are.

An incan would show a bell-curve shape across the spectrum (with the bell curve moved a bit left or right, depending on the tint of that particular incan). What an LED High-CRI does, is make the LED's output more similar to the bell curve of an incan, and less like the image above with its over-emphasis of blue, and "missing spots" for blue-green and orange and red.

Just remember that tint and high-CRI are different things (but often correlated, with most high-CRI having a warmer tint). CRI refers to the "evenness" of a bell-curve distribution, with the colors represented proportionately, as they are by the sun. Tint refers to whether that bell-curve is moved to the left or to the right.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I carry a headlamp in both of my BOB and any time I'm hunting.

I especially appreciate a headlamp when I'm waterfowl hunting. Setting decoys at 0 dark 30 without one would be miserable. Likewise, dressing a deer with a headlamp is a piece of cake. I had to replace the bearings (I ALWAYS keep an extra set of wheel bearings for my trailers in my toolbag) on the side of the road on my boat trailer at night once and the headlamp made it much easier as well. Basically, anytime you need to use both your hands at night... Its an essential piece of kit in my opinion.

I have a couple of Petzl's and they are top shelf. I also have a couple of Gander Mountain store brand lamps that get beaten to crap in my duck boat/blind. Petzl also makes a VEY compact emergency headlamp that folds into something the size of a zippo lighter. I have several of those stashed in my various prep bags.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

Mar 8, 2009
    I have several units from princeton tech. I've used one continuously for multiple years on my hard hat at work and I love it. I finally updated it last week because the ratchet positioner no longer holds up to jumping off of stuff! It's going to work out great in the garage though....... I'm not sure of their cost, because they are provided by my employer, but my lights are much brighter than my brothers Cabela's light, he made me get him one! They run much longer on three AAA's and are much brighter than a AA mag light. They're also lighter than the AA mag-light, so I've been using them alone while backpacking. They're a necessity, IMO. This is a must have tool!
  11. thats what I bought for hunting and have worked out the best so far. I first bought the one that had the green LEDs but Im not sure I like the green. I just bought one with the white LEDs to try this year.
  12. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Holy crap, I just received the Zebralight 502c I ordered above. It's pretty awesome. Super light, very bright, a gazillion programming options, all in all the best I've ever handled. Will have to wait till tonight to try out the high CRI vs. other LED's.
  13. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    Nice and helpful people on CPF.

For alpine starts I use the Petzl Tikka Plus head lamp.

I like it because
    it take all kinds of AAA batteries
    long battery life
    good light selection
    simple to use with gloves on.

I have 2 of them - I take the second on overnight trips.
  14. Spikehorn11

Spikehorn11 "Destroyer"

Feb 26, 2007
    Central New York
    I bought a Primos headlamp because it runs on double AA's plus it has a red and green lens filter.

My next one is a Rayovac that was only $12 at Home Depot. Shoots a tight bright beam.

My walleye fishing rig is a Streamlight with he green LEDs so it doesn't spook any fish that follow my lure up.

I use headlamps more than any other lights I have.
  15. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

Feb 26, 2007
    The poorman's headlamp

[ame=""] Blue Ridge Product Solutions 5 LED Light that Attaches to Hats and Caps: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@[/ame]
  16. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Bam! Now try going back.
  17. 2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
  18. DrSticky

Nov 28, 2005
    I have this in "sand":
    [ame=""] Princeton Tec Lightweight Quad Tactical Headlamps Ultrabright LEDs: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@[/ame]

On both sides, there is a joint that allows you to pivot the light and point it more up or down. I had it in my vest and after several hours of hitting the dirt and rolling around I had snapped the little loop on the side that holds it in place. I took a small stick and used 100mph tape to secure it in place. I still use it, but I should buy another. I still carry it in my load bearing equipment.

Other than it breaking, I like it. I like the integrated red lens. I know when I switch it on, if it is going to be red or not. There is no surprise and I don't have to take it off my head to do it. I can press the button to make it brighter if I need to. I don't trust the click three times for red type systems.

I also carry a gerber recon flashlight.
    [ame=""] Gerber Recon Flashlight - White / Red / Blue / Green LED - Black Body 22-80016: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@[/ame]

While not strictly a headlamp, the clip works well on the bill of a hat. I have used it in that configuration quite a few times. This thing takes a beating, and I normally carry it in a pocket on my calf when in the field. Again, knowing if I am going to put out white light is a big deal. Having green light is a nice to have as it allows me to see further without totally destroying my night vision.
  19. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    LOL yeah. The only thing I'm not really sold on yet is how wide the beam is. 120* :wow: Intellectually I know that's probably best for a headlamp, but it's just so different than others I've used.

Flashlights for throw, headlamps for flood.
  20. DrSticky

Nov 28, 2005
    Does it come with a red lens?