close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Head light bulb replacement question

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by perro loco, Jun 25, 2006.

1. perro loco

perro loco
    Expand Collapse

Hello, my Renault Twingo uses on head tiny (fog)lights 5W bulbs one of them is burned and I only find here 3W or 12W, I don´t wanna go low, at least higher but no low, Can I use 12W bulbs on it witout fear of burning something like cables or fuses?

Thanks Folks

PL

2. EUPHER49

EUPHER49
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about your specific vehicle, but here's how I would go about this.

Assuming you have a 12V electrical system:
    A 5W bulb is going to draw about .4 Amps. A 12W bulb, about 1 Amp. You'll need to determine the fuse size for the circuit supplying the fog lamps. If it has its own fuse, as long as its rating is >2 amps (more than likely it will be) you'll be fine replacing with the 12W bulb. If there are multiple lights being supplied you'll have to make sure that the added 1 Amp won't put that circuit over the fuses rating. I sincerely doubt that 1 Amp will cause an overload in the circuit.

What I might be more concerned about is the power dissipation rating of the fog lamp housing. Is it rated to stay cool enough with a 12W bulb? Again, just a question to ask to see if you'll have a problem. I really doubt that the higher Wattage would be a problem at 12W.

Hope this helps.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

You need a 207 (5007) R5W bulb. I see you are not in the USA. I had a tough time finding the correct bulb for my son's moped (made in India) and eventually found the spec bulb I cited above.