close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HDD too full?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mdehoogh, Aug 18, 2011.

1. mdehoogh

mdehoogh

Jun 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have a 500GB drive (which is actually 465GB of usable space) that I keep all of my documents/music/DVDs stored on and there's ~32GB of free space.

Is it okay to continue to add files to it or should I leave it alone and upgrade to a larger drive? I have everything backed up on a couple separate drives so it's not a major problem if there's an issue caused by being too full. Storage prices are always dropping so the longer I wait, the more I can get for less money when it's time to upgrade.

2. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000

3. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    Don't ya need 10% free to defrag?

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Burn all your pr0n to DVD and free up half the drive.

5. mdehoogh

mdehoogh

Jun 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    :tongueout: LOL

Most of the data is movies or TV series' that I've ripped or recorded through media center. It's network attached so using discs (laptop doesn't even have an optical drive) is a lot more hassle.

I would assume that as long as there's like 2-3GB free, there shouldn't be a problem

6. Ogreon

Ogreon unlisted

Oct 3, 2006
    Since you've got backups, you can always delete some stuff if you need to defrag.

My only concern would be your swapfile. Will the OS forcibly keep enough space for the swapfile if you don't set it to a fixed size?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Once you reach about 3/4 of a drive's capacity, it starts to degrade performance.

Keep filling it up and you won't be able to defrag, performance will rapidly decline, and you'll start getting all sorts of error messages.

Time for a new storage system.

8. mdehoogh

mdehoogh

Jun 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    It is not a C: drive so I wouldn't think that would be a concern. It just a secondary drive to store files.

It seems to perform alright but after searching some more, I'll probably go ahead and buy another drive next time I catch one on sale. I'm past the 10% point anyway