close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

HD buys MV Agusta

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Slagged, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Slagged

Slagged I'm lost... CLM

Apr 16, 2007
    Texas
    I really hope that this is good for MV. I would love to see the F3 600 reach production!

2. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    So does that mean that Harleys are now going to be fast and handle well or are MV's going to be loud, unreliable and slow?

3. dakotasdad

dakotasdad

May 1, 2007
    NW Arkansas
    What????? Harley buys Italian company. Huh?

Great, now I have to pick another naked bike to covet.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Harley and Italian motorcycles aren't exactly strangers to each other. Remember the Aermacchi dealie?

I just cringe to think that an MV Agusta Brutale would now gain another 200-lbs and five acres worth of chrome though.

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Was that the 350 Harley used to sell?

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    And the cute moped thingies.

7. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Dec 15, 2004
    Tempe, AZ
    Unreliable? Are you still living in the 70's? Harley's are as reliable (if not more) than Honda's these days! I see more metric bikes on the side of the road than Harley's, especially newer ones! :shocked:

It's an interesting move (HD was looking at Ducati last year). The rumors are that they are going to be pushing a water-cooled motor into the touring line, and it doesnt' sound like they are pushing the V-Rod motor towards that end Who really knows? HD is very tight-lipped, the CIA could probably take some hints from them about keeping secrets! :rofl:

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO

While they have certainly improved, they are still nowhere near the reliability of Hondas. As far as what you see on the side of the road, I'm afraid I'll have to disbelieve you on this one. I spend a lot of time on roads, both in the car and on the bike and almost never see broken down metrics. I'll be you can guess which ones I do see, though I must admit that it is not as prevalent as it one was, say in the 70's.

9. Cryptoboy

Dec 15, 2004
    Tempe, AZ
    You can disbelieve all you want, I just don't see many Harley's on the side of the road. I've stopped to help out a few guys now, one was on an R1, the other was on a Suzuki (Sv650? Can't remember the exact model, but it wasn't a full fairing bike).

You can also check some stats on the reliability. I forget which magazine that it was (it was either Motorcyclist or Cycle World a few years ago, I usually buy one or the other when I travel), but they rated all the bike makers, and Honda and Harley were neck in neck for the top reliability! You can try to knock Harley's all you want, but the Twin Cam's are some of the best motors out there now for longevity. Not many other bikes out there (other than the Goldwings) with over 100k miles.

Just the way it goes!

10. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    My own experience is that, in general, I see more miles being put on big bore metrics than on most Harleys. That doesn't mean that some people don't know some Harley riders who put on high mileage, but they are, by far, the exception.

Exactly

11. Cryptoboy

Dec 15, 2004
    Tempe, AZ
    My experience has been just the opposite. The only people I know that have over 50k miles on a bike are on Harley's, other than my father in law, and he's on a GW. There aren't a whole lot of metrics out here that I've seen (metric cruisers at least. Plenty of sportbikes!), or they must not ride the same routes!

Kinda funny too, since my first post, I've seen a few bikes on the side of the road, and all have been metric. :cool:

12. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO

Do you think that goes across all motorcyclist or just the group you hang out with?

13. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

Dec 16, 2003
    NashVegas
    As biased as I actually am, truth is truth,

I was hangin with a few bros just today who's bikes had 140,00 and 300,000 on the motors. The guy with a 140k on the clock was on a twin cam 88. The guy with 300k was a guy on a shovel he's owned since 74, he rebuilds the top end every 100k and hasn't done much of anything to the bottom. Don't believe the hype. This year alone, I've done 15k on my twinky and it hasn't left me stranded once. My buddy's honda shadow 1100 only has about 30k on the clock and he's having issues left and right. Real world experience, and we're all everyday riders, none of my bros own cars (their ol ladies do though).

as always though, YMMV.

14. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    While I don't doubt what you experience, I doubt that a couple of examples is enough to generalize it to most.

15. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

Dec 16, 2003
    NashVegas
    Fair enough, I could give a few more examples, but it won't change peoples minds on things, so that's cool. FWIW, I'm not a harley or nothing guy, I just have a ton of bros and the majority of them ride harleys. Heck, we just did an 883 to 1200 conversion on my buddy's evo sporty chopper... only reason we did it was to get a bit more juice out, very cost effiecient hp gains. His 883 had probably close to 70,000 and the inside looked very runnable still... lotta life left in it. Ya just gotta take care of your stuff, I honestly believe that's where harley got it's bad wrap... people not willing to take the time and do the things shovels and pans needed done to them on a regular basis.