close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

having trouble at 100 yards with aimpoint

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by nickod, Jun 10, 2011.

1. nickod

nickod sammyb

Oct 7, 2010
    i use a 2 moa aimpoint comp ml3 i can never do any thing better than 5-10" group at 100 yards. and truth be told my 100 yard groups are closer to 10" than 5" , and this from a riffle rest. when i shoot off hand at 100 yards, i can almost..... almost keep my rounds on the 12" birchwood casey shoot-n-see target. is this poor shooting? or this the fact that im using a cqb optic to make longer shoots? Is there any one out there who chews out the center of a target using an aimpoint at longer ranges? are my black-riffle skills severely lacking or is this stuff typical with red dot optics? btw, theese results are with all ammos, from 77smk to 55g xm193. some one help! im not sure why but i was under the impression that with practice id be making head shots at 300m. at this rate there is just no way.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Wow,......I have a Comp M2 on my Spikes dedicated .22LR upper and I shoot 3" groups all day long.
    What mount are you using? Are you sure the Aimpoint is not a clone?
    Did you buy it new?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    How did you get the impression that you would be making head-shots at 300M with an Aimpoint? Have you looked at a man-sized target at 300M?

Last weekend I was shooting at 100 yards with my Eotech equiped AR, and feel very confident I could make a head-shot at that distance, but three times that distance brings alot of other factors into consideration, like trajectory, wind, etc.

I think you need to re-evaluate your expectations.

4. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
    Is it a real Aimpoint? What do your groups look like @ say 50 yards? Who made your rifle?

I have a comp m4s on my 16" and a 10" group using a rest is either you or a fake aimpoint.

-J

5. nickod

nickod sammyb

Oct 7, 2010
    um yeah....real aimpoint bought from larue tactical. in larue cantilever mount.. bcm 16" upper 1/7 twist. groups at 50 great. i just get spread out pretty bad at 100 yards. i loose the dot in the target alot. i just find it difficult.

6. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Do you have astigmatism? Are the edges of the dot clear? Or do you see a fuzzy, spiky shape? If the latter, then maybe an Aimpoint is not for you? A 2 MOA dot should not get 'lost' in the target at 100 yards.

Let another good shooter have a go with it.

7. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Jul 10, 2007
    A few thoughts...

What is your rifle zeroed at? Do you know the correct hold-over for it? Do you know a good way to estimate your hold-over for the distance?

Reason I ask, is because when I first got to shooting I sighted in at 25yrds (I want a 50, but my range doesn't have it). At 25yrds, beautiful groups. Then I moved to 100. Horrible. I learned that at 100, I need to aim about 6" low.

Sounds easy enough, but I was having a hard time knowing what was 6" low at 100. Once I got that figured out (also using different targets helped) my groups improved greatly.

8. nickod

nickod sammyb

Oct 7, 2010
    I have it zeroed at 50 yards meaning its a tad high at 100 but the groups are larger than I would like regardless, and that's using a rest.

9. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    You may try different colored targets. You say you are "losing the dot"
    Can you explain? How much experience do you have shooting an AR?

10. farmer2

farmer2

Nov 13, 2005
    Spokane Washington
    What are you 100 yrd groups like with open sights? My guess is you just need more practice. Plus 5 inches at 100yrds with an aimpoint isn't that bad.

farmer2

11. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Jul 10, 2007
    Now that it's been said...I'd proudly hang that on my fridge!

12. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    A few thoughts.

Eliminate some variables:
    - use one kind of ammo. You mentioned 77gr SMK's. That is great ammo. use that as a benchmark. typical XM193 is 4+ MOA ammo (10 shot groups).
    - get a target that will set you up for success. make a target with a 5" black dot on a white background. Center the ML3's dot in the black dot.
    - try to shoot only in respiratory pauses. (google it)
    - Have a friend or another shooter (preferably someone who is a good shooter) try it.
    - Take your time. No need to do it fast. Shoot slow and steady with breaks in between groups. Once proper technique is learned then pick up the pace if desired.
    - try shooting with both eyes open and one eye closed. (not sure which you are doing now.) I tend to shoot better groups with an eye closed, but get more eye fatigue too.
    - As someone else mentioned, what does your dot look like? sharp or sort of oblong and spikey? You may have an astigmatism.

Head shoots @ 300 yards with Aimpoint is a bit too lofty a goal. It can be done but few factors need to be there.
    - An awesome shooter to do it consistently (not 1.5 times out of 10)
    - Great ammo capable of less than 2MOA
    - a rifle that can deliver the ammo accurately

Lastly ignore most of what you read on the internet when the post reads like this. "My XYZ AR is 1 MOA all day long with irons." 98.44% of that is BS. the best 3 shot group of of 20 is not what you use to judge your ability, rifle or ammo. IMO, if you took say 10 5-shot groups and avg'd it or 3 10-shot groups you would have something meaningful.

13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    If it's happening with all ammo you tried the problem is you. Either lack of fundamentals or a problem with your eyes at distance.

14. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  15. Minnow

Minnow

Jan 13, 2006
    Techas
    Turn down the intensity of the dot and try again.

16. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I'd say drop the Aimpoint and learn to get 2" groups with the irons at 100 yards first!
    When you master the irons then going back to your optic will be easy! You got to learn the fundimentals first! Cause unless you got years of rifle shooting behind you your wasting your time!:whistling:

17. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    2" groups (not talking cherry picked 3-shot groups) with irons are a pipe dream with that rifle and standard ammo. With match ammo or handloads it is possible, MAYBE (his rifle may not even be capable of it, CL is meant for durability not match accuracy).

18. Have an experienced shooter shoot a few groups with the same ammo, then you will know if it's you or the gun. Most likely it's you.

19. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    At 100 yrds I could see the dot just fine,I just couldn't see the target details just a black square. Realized with aging eyes I needed magnification got a 4x scope and made a world of difference. Can now shoot 1 to 2 inch groups most of the time.

20. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    Turn down the brightness as much as you can while still being able to see it. Some people will aim with just a small portion of the dot, like the top edge, rather than covering the target with the whole dot.