close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you shot out an old empty propane tank

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, Apr 22, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

My friend gave away his old gas propane tank (used in gas BBQ grill), empty of course, in fact he wanted to throw it away. I was glad to take it so i can shoot my guns on it to see for fun.
    My other friend has a private property in the country and im planning to bring this out. We will shoot it 35 yds away with a dirt berm as backstop . The guns im bringing are

M1 Garand, Mosin 44, AK 47, 1911 and the lowly CHicom tokarev.
    The first three im sure will go through with no problem. But the slow 45 acp FMJ might not fully penetrate . Now the tokarev round is known to go through kevlar, that s what im excited to know. Whats your guess ?

BTW 35 yds away bec i m concern of richochet. 45 acp and tokarev might go through like butter if closer at 10 to 25 yds. Again, what do you think. Propane tank is like 3/8 inch thick steel. Double that and be interesting to find out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

3/8" thick? Are you sure?

3. tongix

tongix

It might be 1/4 , im not sure but it looks thin.

4. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I'd be surprised if it's over 1/8" thick.

I have an old tank at home. When i get home today I'll see how thick it is with my ultrasonic thickness gauge and report back here.

5. Jeffe

Jeffe

I have one at camp we shoot all the time, they are really thin. .22 won't penetrate. My 45-70 will go through one side and leaves a 1/2" deep dent on the other side. You can feel the hit in your chest. Other stuff (223, 30-06, 7mm.08, 7mm, 243) all fly right through.

6. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Just be careful of ricochets. The tank is fairly hard steel and round. If you hit it off center on the curved center, some of the rounds may be deflected to the side.

I once tried several different pistol rounds on an old refrigerator compressor to see which ones would penetrate the steel shell. .38 wad cutters splattered without even denting the compressor shell. .38 special and +p rounds splattered and dented the shell, with the +p round leaving a deeper dent. .357 JHP rounds penetrated easily, leaving a clean hole with minimal indenting around it. That was impressive!

Have fun with your "experiment".

7. jilverthor

jilverthor

The .45 won't penetrate, you will get a small dent and that is it regardless of range. I have witnessed this firsthand and the individual kept walking closer expecting it to finally punch through. We came to the tank already perforated and fully vented and were shooting with .223

Jeff

8. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'm guessing .062 or something close to that, post what your gage shows.

9. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

You're cracked!
    9mm blew up a travel trailer, by shooting the tank on the front, with a Sig, on NCIS! :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  10. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

no i have not as as it sounds like dumb hold my beer moment .

11. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

No... but I have shot a full one with a .308 incendiary.

Interesting results.

12. RenoF250

RenoF250

What 45-70s? I would think they would go through both tearing a big hole in the other side.

I would expect a .357 to go through one side.

Freon cans are real thin, I think even a .22 will go through.

13. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Oh do tell, Please

Tell me more.

[​IMG]

14. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

My gauge averaged around 0.082" thick. FWIW, this tank is about 10 years old.

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Yes please. :)

16. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

If you have ever been to a Knob Creek machine gun shoot, you know the result first hand. Look it up on youtube and you will see the line firing at drums of deisel fuel with 30lb propane tanks inside of them. Very cool stuff!:shocked:

17. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

This. I was young and not so bright, (smart enough to shoot it at 200 yards though).

It was more of an experiment more than anything. I didn't think it would blow up just put a hole in it and leak out. That might happen with FMJ :dunno: but with an incendiary it was rather spectacular. Should have done it at night, that would have been really cool. :supergrin:

ETA: Here's a link to a 1 pounder getting shot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn2nIHvSt4Y"]Propane Tank Explodes After Being Shot! - YouTube[/ame]

The one I shot was a 20? pound gas grill tank, which I did not set on fire first. I don't recall a huge fireball... but it was loud

18. tongix

tongix

2006 I fired my 1911 using fmj ball on an old tire at 12 yds away. It hit the flat surface and bounces off , landed a few feet nearby. I was very surprised. I picked it up and bullet had flatten a little bit.

19. R*E

R*E

Like others said before, a .45 will make a dent. I switched to my .357 and it punched through quite nicely. The gas inside made a hissing sound as it leaked out. Wish I had some incendiary round. :supergrin:

20. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

I shot a not-quite-empty one with my AR and a flaming rag in front of it.

We took it out to the desert and laid it down, my buddy shoved a stake into the ground and tied a Zippo fuel-soaked rag to it, lit it, and ran back to me. I was about 50 or so yards back. I sighted in with my AR, pulled the trigger and WHOOOOM!! A 20-foot tall (about) column of flame about one foot wide shot up straight up into the sky, and burned for about ten seconds or so. Was one of the coolest shooting trips we'd ever been on!

The cylinder was only about 1/8" thick.