close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you purchased one for your gun yet?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by travis34769, Dec 22, 2011.

1. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

http://usagunblog.com/?p=198

The weight of them is what really surprised me. This will not pull the end of your gun down like the other modules would. Cant wait to touch one, that is for sure!

They have a picture on their website crimsontrace.com of a glock with the laser module and the lightguard installed.

Does adding a light increase your chance in a tactical situation or actually hurt you? I hear a lot of talk about adding or not adding a laser/light to a handgun. I prefer to have the laser/light because when used properly my chances seem to be better.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 travis34769, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. 12131

Expand Collapse
    Monkeyboy
    CLM

I prefer their grip laser more.

3. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69
    Expand Collapse

CT sent me some a while back. I think I have every model they make. I am personally not a fan of lasers, but I like the grips more.

#3 Shadyscott69, Dec 22, 2011
  4. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Me too.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

More stuff I don't need.

6. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

Yeah they do make a fine grip. Agreed

#6 travis34769, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  7. Chonny

Chonny
    Expand Collapse

#7 Chonny, Dec 22, 2011
  8. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a laser guy personally.

9. gbhamm2

gbhamm2
    Expand Collapse

IMO lasers just distract your eyes from the sites.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

The purpose of a laser is a low light/dark sighting device when you can not see the sights.
    The best feature of a laser is you have your eyes focused on the threat, not on the gun sights a couple feet in front of your face.

The laser can also be handy when the brightness of the area is such that you can still see the sights, like indoors. Then I still use the laser. It's probably faster and more accurate (if you are experienced with the laser) and I'm looking at the threat area instead of the front sight.

That light might be handy on some pistols, for some applications, but personally I prefer a laser or better yet (for HD) a laser/light.
    [​IMG]

The gun mounted light is better than a hand held light alone. If I used that gun mounted light I'd still want a good handheld light in my pocket to.

#10 M2 Carbine, Dec 23, 2011
  11. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

A lot of people looking at it thinking it is a laser...

Come on people, it's a 100 lumen white light (as in "flashlight").

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

I have a home range where for some years, in low light and dark, I've experimented and practiced with lasers and laser lights on handguns, rifles and shotguns. So I have a pretty good idea what works good in low light and darkness and what is slow and maybe inaccurate.

Put it this way.
    With some knowledge and a bit of practice this is what you can easily do with (good) gun mounted lasers and laser lights.
    If you can do such as this in low light and darkness with your shooting method, you do not need a laser or laser/light.

Now understand I have 74 year old eyes and unsteady hands, so if I can do this with lasers and laser/lights, most anyone can.:supergrin:

10 yards. Fast firing a Crimson Trace equipped 2 inch 38 S&W J Frame. Shooting left (weak) hand from the hip.
    [​IMG]

Crimson Trace equipped S&W K22
    [​IMG]

Using just the laser and using just the light and iron sights. The laser is faster.
    [​IMG]

Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light equipped S&W M&P 15/22 (rifle). 25 yards. Fast fired from the hip.
    In darkness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#12 M2 Carbine, Dec 23, 2011
  13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

Streamlight TLR-2 laser equipped 12 ga Remington 870. Low light. All shots from the hip.
    #4 and 00 Buckshot in the BG's chest is from 17 yards.
    Slugs in the guy's butt and the small target shot from 26 yards.
    [​IMG]

It was so late by the time the 40 yard target was shot the target was a Gray blur but still it was easy to keep the hits COM using the Crimson Trace laser.
    [​IMG]

Crimson Trace equipped 3 inch S&W J Frame. 52 yards standing. Low light (I had to wait until the next day to take the picture)
    Just skinned the guy with a couple shots.:)
    [​IMG]

#13 M2 Carbine, Dec 23, 2011
  14. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

When I was doing IDPA, one of the guys there bought a laser for his 1911. He used it only in one match, he made some really nice shoots but he took a big hit on his time.

He told me, he kept looking for the red dot too much. I would think with plenty of practice that issue could be corrected. :dunno:

#14 smokin762, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

That's a common mistake. You don't look for the dot (it takes too long). You look at where you want to hit, as you point the gun, as you light the laser, as you start back with the trigger.
    With a little practice you will automatically (quickly) bring the dot to where you are looking as you fire the gun.
    AND the laser is a low light/dark sighting device. If it's light enough to use the iron sights then it's probably too light to use the laser. If you have to "look for the laser dot" then it's too bright to use a laser.
    Generally, except maybe indoors where the dot is bright, IMO if you can see your iron sights, and you are good with them, use them.

People want to use the laser as their primary sight. It is a good low light point shooting tool, not a full time replacement for iron sights.
    And with the laser, like iron sights, there is a learning curve that takes practice to get good and fast.

I've found that some experienced shooters have some difficulty adapting to the laser. It is one more button to push and learning a new way of sighting the gun.
    But, like my friends, after some practice they got faster and more accurate with the laser (in low light).
    Generally new shooters do well with the laser becuse they aren't set in their ways like us older shooters.
    For instance when I introduced a new (senior) lady shooter to the laser, after shooting one magazine I gave her a second magazine and told her to shoot the gun out of the BS's hand (10 yards).
    And she did.:) At that time she could not do that with iron sights.
    [​IMG]

Personally, I'm not very fast anyhow, but I am a little faster and way more accurate (in low light) with the laser than I am with iron sights in daylight.

#15 M2 Carbine, Dec 23, 2011
  16. 8-Ball

8-Ball
    Expand Collapse
    Drifting Cowboy

As always, Buck, remarkable feedback. I always look forward to hearing your opinion and experience.

17. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Depending on cost, this will be a nice option for someone wanting a light on their gun that has no rail.

18. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

I believe that is as good as it gets my friend. Loved your post and descriptions. Thank you!

#18 travis34769, Dec 23, 2011
  19. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I am a big fan of the Streamlight TLR-2. Its a great light/laser for any gun. Got them on all my HD guns.

20. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

Yeah streamlight is a VERY good company and them guys do a wonderful job!